One for the math nerds.
It's way over my head.

But some of you might get it. It was a good read even if you don't understand it completely.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 27 2006, 10:28 AM Wrote:It's way over my head.

But some of you might get it. It was a good read even if you don't understand it completely.
[right][snapback]105564[/snapback][/right]

Have you ever considered starting a blog?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
That type of thing makes me wonder why we've settled on a base 10 numbering system for most types of things and if we were using, say a base 8, as our default if the explainable parts of our world would still be thought of in the same way.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Griselda,Mar 27 2006, 01:46 PM Wrote:Have you ever considered starting a blog?
[right][snapback]105567[/snapback][/right]

No. I am an old fart. I like forums and such. Don't need a newfangled blog thingamajigger.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi,
jahcs,Mar 27 2006, 11:49 AM Wrote:That type of thing makes me wonder why we've settled on a base 10 numbering system for most types of things . . .
[right][snapback]105568[/snapback][/right]
Count your fingers.

Quote:. . . and if we were using, say a base 8, as our default if the explainable parts of our world would still be thought of in the same way.
No. All bases are isomorphic. Anything done in one can be done in any other. Sometimes a given base is more useful because of the underlying problem (e.g., binary for logic) but most of the time it really doesn't matter. For example, pi is transcendental in all bases (except, of course, base pi ;) ).

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Mar 27 2006, 04:32 PM Wrote:For example, pi is transcendental in all bases (except, of course, base pi ;) ).

--Pete
[right][snapback]105588[/snapback][/right]
I suspect that base pi was not adopted due to the risks of circular logic in many of the proofs. ;) That, and the unhealthy relationship between base pi and base eight. :lol:

Occhi

Quote:There's a special level of hell for people who tell groaner puns, and people who talk in the theater."
~From The Diary of Sheppard Book~
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
This reminds me of the movie Pi - searching for a number/relationship that will decipher the pattern inherent in the universe. Very heady stuff.

I strongly recommend Pi for those that haven't seen it. It's from Darren Aronofsky and shares much of the same jarring visual style that he used in Requiem for a Dream.

In addition to the research in the above article, there's of course also Fibonocci Numbers which are seen all throughout nature. There is also a lot of cool research going on right now with fractals and how organisms actually grow into such predefined forms utilizing such minimal amounts of data (i.e. DNA). The human mind attempting to rationalize the chaotic universe all around it is an amazing thing.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
God, I hated doing Riemann sums.
Doc,Mar 27 2006, 11:51 AM Wrote:No. I am an old fart. I like forums and such. Don't need a newfangled blog thingamajigger.
[right][snapback]105569[/snapback][/right]

What I mean is that usually when people want to be part of a discussion where many people contribute topics of discussion, they visit a forum. When people want to be in charge of most or all of the topics of discussion, they have a blog.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Pete,Mar 27 2006, 02:32 PM Wrote:Hi,

Count your fingers.
No.  All bases are isomorphic.  Anything done in one can be done in any other.  Sometimes a given base is more useful because of the underlying problem (e.g., binary for logic) but most of the time it really doesn't matter.  For example, pi is transcendental in all bases (except, of course, base pi ;) ).

--Pete
[right][snapback]105588[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I misspoke there, but nice zinger, Pete :blush: . I deserved that for trying to post on a Monday when I am so preoccuopied.

Mithrandir has more of what I was trying to say with how we attempt to find patterns and explain everything in the Universe. If we weren't using a base 10 system would we still be able to force so many things into nice neat patterns that all seem to relate to each other. (We live in a complex system where nearly everything is related -or we want it to be, so I presume we would.)

P.S. Since there is no "9" in base 8 what would Pi look like?

And I probably just made all the math gurus pull their hair out.

EDIT: Just deleting a recalcitrant "r."
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 27 2006, 06:54 PM Wrote:And I probably just made all the math gurus pull their hair out.

EDIT: Just deleting a recalcitrant "r."
[right][snapback]105597[/snapback][/right]
I just noted the quote in your sig.

If we ever meet IRL, the first round is on me. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
jahcs,Mar 28 2006, 12:54 AM Wrote:P.S.  Since there is no "9" in base 8 what would Pi look like?

[right][snapback]105597[/snapback][/right]

..or ... did I miss a second pun??

Vandiablo,Mar 27 2006, 08:08 PM Wrote:3.110375524210264302

..or ... did I miss a second pun??
[right][snapback]105603[/snapback][/right]
No, but I smell a rat.

Quote:But the important role played by the number 42 has recently persuaded even the deepest skeptics that the subatomic world might hold the key to one of the greatest unsolved problems in mathematics.

Are we being presented with a Pre April Fool's joke, or was Douglass Adams accidentally correct?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Though it doesn't work for base 10, there is an exact formula for the digits of pi in heaxadecimal bases, like 16: see, for example:

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/...98/mathland.htm
Thecla,Mar 27 2006, 10:01 PM Wrote:Though it doesn't work for base 10, there is an exact formula for the digits of pi in heaxadecimal bases, like 16: see, for example:

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/...98/mathland.htm
[right][snapback]105606[/snapback][/right]
From the article:

Quote:Nonetheless, there's no evidence yet that an efficient algorithm for computing isolated decimal digits of pi doesn't exist.
Other than the appaarent fact that no one has discovered it yet, this most Omnipotent algorithm? The Primal algorithm, perhaps? ;)

Occhi

In Memory of Pete
Griselda,Mar 27 2006, 08:12 PM Wrote:What I mean is that usually when people want to be part of a discussion where many people contribute topics of discussion, they visit a forum.  When people want to be in charge of most or all of the topics of discussion, they have a blog.
[right][snapback]105596[/snapback][/right]

I think what Griselda is too polite to say is that you are posting way too many topics.
DeeBye,Mar 27 2006, 11:16 PM Wrote:I think what Griselda is too polite to say is that you are posting way too many topics.
[right][snapback]105614[/snapback][/right]
My take on it: the nicest way anyone has ever called someone else a troll.

Gris is a class act, whether I guessed that right or not.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 28 2006, 04:07 AM Wrote:Other than the appaarent fact that no one has discovered it yet, this most Omnipotent algorithm?  The Primal algorithm, perhaps?    ;)

Which, is unfortunately, not good enough for a proof. ;) It may very well be an unprovable (And naturally, undisprovable) claim, for all we know.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
DeeBye,Mar 28 2006, 05:16 AM Wrote:I think what Griselda is too polite to say is that you are posting way too many topics.
[right][snapback]105614[/snapback][/right]

I would say "a lot" instead of "way too many". I am actually not sure who posts more topics deebye. You or Doc. :D

But still, when people react on these topics, it means that they are worth posting...or not?

eppie
Doc,Mar 27 2006, 05:28 PM Wrote:It's way over my head.

[right][snapback]105564[/snapback][/right]

Fascinating. This may prove to become an important breakthrough in quantum mechanics if it can be applied to determining the position of subatomic particles in relation to each other at any given moment of time (something that has been eluding mankind up to this point). Also, a formula to determine ALL primes is comething methematicians have dreamed off for ages. Physics & maths rejoice!
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.