It's emissions testing time again
I posted a thread about two years ago bragging about my car. In Ontario, if a car is over three years old it has to be emissions tested to ensure that it does not unduly polute the environment. If it fails, you cannot renew your plates until you have whatever is causing the excess pollution vomit to be fixed. These tests must be done every two years.

Well, it's been two years and my birthday is coming up. That means it was time for another round of my 1987 Toyota Camry versus the emissions testing dohickeys.

I went through my glovebox and found the last two emissions tests results, and I've scanned them all together with the latest one. This is six year's worth.

I'm only posting this in the name of science and as a topic of interest.

[Image: 20024iz.jpg]

[Image: 20047op.jpg]

[Image: 20068zv.jpg]

It's kind of interesting to see that my car polluted much less two years ago than it does now, but overall the pollution is almost non-existant compared to the allowable limits. I also like how the allowable limits have steadily decreased over this time.

During this span of six years, the only engine-related work done on my car was some exhaust work about a year ago (new muffler + tailpipe) and a new power steering fluid pump about six months ago. In fact, after discussing the matter with my dad that might have been the ONLY major repairs done to the car in it's history. Both the exhaust and power steering doodad were original before I had them replaced.

My grandfather was the orginal owner of the car and was very anal about servicing it, and so am I. I make sure to have every inch of it checked over carefully twice a year, and oil changes and tire rotations get done the same time. If I ever notice something odd about my car, I take it in ASAP and have the issue looked at. Nine times out of ten it's nothing, but I want to nip any potential problems in the bud before they get serious and expensive.

Toyota Camrys are either very well-built cars or obsessive-compulsive maintenance is very worthwhile, or a combination of both.

This is the last time I ever have to go through emissions testing with my beloved 1987 Camry, because cars over 20 years old are exempt. I might just hook 'er up just to see how she's doing though.

[Image: deebyescar.jpg]

My wife and I have been have been having discussions about buying a new vehicle with more room and a hatchback for convenience. This saddens me :(
How much did that vanity plate cost your gramps? :P
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Want to hear something funny?

We've got emissions tests as well, but I've found they're mostly a joke. My car is 25 years old and needs some work. Odds and ends here and there, and for some reason there's a decent amount of unburned fuel passing through the exhaust. Meh. It's a work in progress.

ANYWAY, they require the tests, and I failed terribly. I ask the gentleman in the office just what I need to do now, and his reply makes enough sense.

"Take this readout to a mechanic who can run a diagnostic on your car and get the problem taken care of, then return and retest. Make sure you bring receipts for the work you had done." Okay, fair enough... but the receipt thing puzzled me. He explained, "If you don't pass the second time, you will get a waiver as long as you can show you had at least $450.00 in repairs performed."

*blinks*

So this is to help the environment... but as long as I spend some money on my car, it doesn't matter how bad it is. I got my waiver, and am free to pollute as badly as I want as long as I get it tested again in March of 2007.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 28 2006, 10:43 AM Wrote:Want to hear something funny?

We've got emissions tests as well, but I've found they're mostly a joke.  My car is 25 years old and needs some work.  Odds and ends here and there, and for some reason there's a decent amount of unburned fuel passing through the exhaust.  Meh.  It's a work in progress.

ANYWAY, they require the tests, and I failed terribly.  I ask the gentleman in the office just what I need to do now, and his reply makes enough sense.

"Take this readout to a mechanic who can run a diagnostic on your car and get the problem taken care of, then return and retest.  Make sure you bring receipts for the work you had done."  Okay, fair enough... but the receipt thing puzzled me.  He explained, "If you don't pass the second time, you will get a waiver as long as you can show you had at least $450.00 in repairs performed."

*blinks*

So this is to help the environment... but as long as I spend some money on my car, it doesn't matter how bad it is.  I got my waiver, and am free to pollute as badly as I want as long as I get it tested again in March of 2007.
[right][snapback]105649[/snapback][/right]

What?

:blink:

Er, isn't that self defeating?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Zarathustra,Mar 28 2006, 07:43 AM Wrote:"Take this readout to a mechanic who can run a diagnostic on your car and get the problem taken care of, then return and retest.  Make sure you bring receipts for the work you had done."  Okay, fair enough... but the receipt thing puzzled me.  He explained, "If you don't pass the second time, you will get a waiver as long as you can show you had at least $450.00 in repairs performed."
[right][snapback]105649[/snapback][/right]

It's one of the few times where the Government has tried to show some understanding. People that drive older cars, which generally have more trouble passing emisions testing, are though to make and save less money than folks who drive newer cars. Instead of forcing you to park your car due to lack of funds they attempted to set a reasonable dollar amount on repairs. -And you'd be suprised how much some simple maintenance can improve test results.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Doc,Mar 28 2006, 09:55 AM Wrote:What?

:blink:

Er, isn't that self defeating?
[right][snapback]105653[/snapback][/right]

It gets better. They give me the waiver, along with the certification to keep in the glove compartment of my car. Then three months later they send me a notice that they're suspending my license unless I respond to tell them whether I passed the test or got a waiver.

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

I had to fill out the postcard with the certificate code THEY GAVE ME and mail it back to THEM so they wouldn't suspend my license.
See you in Town,
-Z
Quote:We've got emissions tests as well, but I've found they're mostly a joke.

My brother failed emisions testing where he lives in an upper-middle class suburb in new Jersey. His mechanic told him to simply take it to a testing station in Jersey City. It passed with no problem in. :blink:

EDIT: pytos
Premezilla,Mar 28 2006, 04:17 AM Wrote:How much did that vanity plate cost your gramps?  :P
[right][snapback]105628[/snapback][/right]

:shuriken:

(photoshop)