Following through on a fantasy
Hi

There was an incident this week in Toronto, wherein a fellow stole a fire truck and led police on a wild chase before he finally rolled it on its side and tried to flee on foot. The aftermath

Although this was a dangerous incident (luckily no one was hurt by the erratic driving) I had to chuckle a bit. There is something about the chance to drive a fire truck that resonates in a lot of us.

Years ago, a couple of friends of my husband *almost* did this. After a suitable amount of alcohol intake, they decided to play firefighters too. They broke into a small town fire hall (the kind that is manned by volunteer firefighters, and has no permanent staff). The only reason they did not get to take the drive was that they took the time needed to get fully suited up for the occasion before foraying out. They were apprehended by the local police as they climbed aboard, fully tricked out in the entire firefighter regalia. :rolleyes:

So - has anyone else dreamed of driving a fire truck?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Mar 23 2006, 07:52 AM Wrote:Hi

There was an incident this week in Toronto, wherein a fellow stole a fire truck and led police on a wild chase before he finally rolled it on its side and tried to flee on foot.  The aftermath

Although this was a dangerous incident (luckily no one was hurt by the erratic driving) I had to chuckle a bit.  There is something about the chance to drive a fire truck that resonates in a lot of us.

Years ago, a couple of friends of my husband *almost* did this.  After a suitable amount of alcohol intake, they decided to play firefighters too.  They broke into a small town fire hall (the kind that is manned by volunteer firefighters, and has no permanent staff).    The only reason they did not get to take the drive was that they took the time needed to get fully suited up for the occasion before foraying out.  They were apprehended by the local police as they climbed aboard, fully tricked out in the entire firefighter regalia.    :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]105237[/snapback][/right]

No, but I have always, and I mean ALWAYS, like since I was a kid, wanted to own a hearse. A nice 50s Caddy hearse. I mean, why wait to ride in the nicest car you will ever ride in in your whole life? And think about it. People get out your way in traffic. A big black hearse. And I want to ride in the front. Not in the back sorry.

You know, the ban on my licence ends in 2007. There is still time to follow up on that dream.

That's right people. I'll be able to drive again. Twenty looooooooong years and finally my reign of terror resumes, and I will be free to drive like Elwood Blues once again.

I can see the appeal of a fire engine. You get to play with the siren. Yay! :w00t:
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 08:17 AM Wrote:You know, the ban on my licence ends in 2007. There is still time to follow up on that dream.
[right][snapback]105241[/snapback][/right]

Do I want to ask, Doc?

*ahem*

And as for driving a fire engine, having worked on an ambulance I can say that there's a certain rush to be had while driving up Lake Shore Drive in Chicago at 80mph with the siren blaring, watching people just get out of your way (and yelling at those who don't).
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 23 2006, 09:59 AM Wrote:Do I want to ask, Doc?
*ahem*

And as for driving a fire engine, having worked on an ambulance I can say that there's a certain rush to be had while driving up Lake Shore Drive in Chicago at 80mph with the siren blaring, watching people just get out of your way (and yelling at those who don't).
[right][snapback]105245[/snapback][/right]

I learned to drive from a moonshiner.

I think that pretty much covers everything.

I can do neat things like whip a car around at a fairly high speed and slide in to a parking space sideways. I figure that's why they put the curb there. Right? To stop the skidding car and bring it to a halt?

I graduated from the Steve McQueen school of driving. :D

I owned a VW van for years as my daily driver. It was slow, safe, and sane.

But some times a man needs speed. Am I right fellas?

And for the record, I have drove cross this country in a hair less than three days. (2 1/2 maybe) From SC to Spokane WA. I think most folks can do the math. I did that in a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix. With a 455. It was borrowed. I cut through along the gulf coast, Tejas, over to Cali, and then right up the Pacific Coast Highway. Good times those.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 07:20 AM Wrote:But some times a man needs speed. Am I right fellas?

That sort of thing should be saved for the racetrack...

Quote:And for the record, I have drove cross this country in a hair less than three days. (2 1/2 maybe) From SC to Spokane WA. I think most folks can do the math. I did that in a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix. With a 455. It was borrowed. I cut through along the gulf coast, Tejas, over to Cali, and then right up the Pacific Coast Highway. Good times those.
[right][snapback]105251[/snapback][/right]

The Pacific Coast Highway has some exciting twisty sections (even at normal speeds) and wonderful scenery.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 23 2006, 11:18 AM Wrote:That sort of thing should be saved for the racetrack...
The Pacific Coast Highway has some exciting twisty sections (even at normal speeds) and wonderful scenery.
[right][snapback]105258[/snapback][/right]

Yes it does. I have traveled through the redwoods many times.

The Grand Prix was a good fast car. It could cruise comfortably at 90. Or even 100. At 110, it vibrated badly and the mirrors would fuzz over and the cigarette lighter would make the most annoying clink clink clink sound as it vibrated. At 120ish, the cheap plastic heating and air vents would rattle fiercely. At maybe 130ish, you could hear the hood going thunk thunk thunk as it rattled. Past this point, the speedometer was useless, and the car threatened to fly apart, which is why I never much cared for Pontiacs. Or a lot of other American cars for that matter.

It was not however, a good car on the twisties.

The back end was kind of loosy goosy if you get my meaning. There was a kind of drift if you turned to much and you would lose traction. You could feel it. Very unnerving feeling your tires spin with no grip while blasting through an S curve at high speed. Even more jarring is when the rear wheel finally catches and the car shudders and jerks a bit as suddenly you have full power again driving you forward on the road.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
jahcs,Mar 23 2006, 08:18 AM Wrote:That sort of thing should be saved for the racetrack...
[right][snapback]105258[/snapback][/right]
Not recommended if you happen to be a drunken Swede driving a $650,000 Enzo Ferrari...

I always wanted to drive an ice-cream truck.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 23 2006, 11:51 AM Wrote:Not recommended if you happen to be a drunken Swede driving a $650,000 Enzo Ferrari...
I always wanted to drive an ice-cream truck.
[right][snapback]105262[/snapback][/right]

A fully loaded ice cream truck?

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 23 2006, 10:51 AM Wrote:Not recommended if you happen to be a drunken Swede driving a $650,000 Enzo Ferrari...
[right][snapback]105262[/snapback][/right]
"Putt Officer, it vas Dietrich vom Grasseeknoll who vass drifink ze Ferrari. I vass chost sitting heah lawffink. Vee did not mean to hit ze nice Pole. Vait, those bracelets do not match my shoes! " :blink: *click go the handcuffs*
Quote:The Ferrari Enzo, a limited-edition vehicle worth between $600,000 and $1 million with 650 horsepower, has a published top speed of 225 mph. The impact sheared the car in half, with the entire front section separated from the rest of the vehicle.

"For a million dollars, you get a very good passenger-safety system, and apparently in this case it did work," Brooks said.

Some electrical service was interrupted in the area after a power pole was struck by the car.
Oh, those silly, rich Bel Air deinzens and their mid life crises. Such fun they have, when not designing video games and clunker hand held gaming devices. :whistling:

Too bad for him that the save point feature did not work before the cops showed up. :rolleyes:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
ShadowHM,Mar 23 2006, 07:52 AM Wrote:Hi

There was an incident this week in Toronto, wherein a fellow stole a fire truck and led police on a wild chase before he finally rolled it on its side and tried to flee on foot.  The aftermath

Although this was a dangerous incident (luckily no one was hurt by the erratic driving) I had to chuckle a bit.  There is something about the chance to drive a fire truck that resonates in a lot of us.

Years ago, a couple of friends of my husband *almost* did this.  After a suitable amount of alcohol intake, they decided to play firefighters too.  They broke into a small town fire hall (the kind that is manned by volunteer firefighters, and has no permanent staff).    The only reason they did not get to take the drive was that they took the time needed to get fully suited up for the occasion before foraying out.  They were apprehended by the local police as they climbed aboard, fully tricked out in the entire firefighter regalia.    :rolleyes:

Kramer.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I would like to wind up a car to 200mph + before I die.

Or a motorcycle.

Anything really.

I have come awfully close to the 200mph mark. Seems a shame to die and never cross it.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 11:30 AM Wrote:I would like to wind up a car to 200mph + before I die.

Or a motorcycle.

Anything really.

I have come awfully close to the 200mph mark. Seems a shame to die and never cross it.
[right][snapback]105270[/snapback][/right]
Unless you are doing that on a closed track, the odds are that passing 200 will be achieved shortly before you die, given how unforgiving vehicles at those high speeds are.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hunter S Thomson said it best.

The track is for punks.

There are roads here that are long perfect straightaways.

I'd probably lose my license again. Crap.

Bah, I'll probably never do it. What a waste.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
If I did decide to get my licence next year I don't even have a clue what sort of car I might try to buy. I probably wouldn't even buy one. I have managed thus far with out one.

That said, having a nice old VW microbus again to fix up and putter around in would be heavenly. Now there's a fantasy worth having. I wonder if I could find enough poptab tops to make curtain for the back?

Bah, you kids probably don't even know what the hell poptabs are.

Hey Occhi, did you ever get stuck with a poptab that just wouldn't pull free from a can? Or cut your lip on a poorly pulled one? :P

Edit. Poptabs.

[Image: poptop2.jpg]
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 09:03 AM Wrote:A fully loaded ice cream truck?
[right][snapback]105265[/snapback][/right]
Fully loaded and tricked to the max. Have ever heard "Rhapsody in Blue" played by chimes?

The ice-cream truck missions in GTA: Vice City was fun, especially if you imagined as I did that Tommy Vercetti was actually trying to go legit in this instance. Here's the scenario: Vercetti buys the ice cream business (which was a front for the sale of something *other* than ice cream) and decides to start serving actual ice cream. Meanwhile, VCPD is clued in on the illicit nature of the franchise from the previous owner and is unaware that Tommy is now trying to run the business straight. The end result: every time a Wanted Star flashes after Vercetti makes an ice cream sale and a cop starts chasing him, I imagine Tommy craning his head out the window of the truck and shouting back with a mix of incredulity and expaseration, "I'm selling ice cream, you morons!"
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
The million-dollar figure on the Enzo, of course, is bad journalism that neglects to tell you that that was the auction price for the very last one ever made. The other 399 of them rolled out of the stables for a bit over $650,000.
Doc,Mar 23 2006, 11:39 AM Wrote:There are roads here that are long perfect straightaways.

I'd probably lose my license again. Crap.

Bah, I'll probably never do it. What a waste.
[right][snapback]105272[/snapback][/right]

How to drive over 200 mph (roughly 320 kph) legally.

1. Ensure your will that leaves all of your possessions to an overcaffeinated rogue. Well, maybe to your wife. :)

2. Travel to Europe. Rent the highest end Mercedes or Alpha you can get your hands on. Head out to the German Autobahn or the Italian Autostrade.

3. Upon leaving the city limits, and passing beyond the speed limit zone, push all the way down in the accelerator pedal. Don't let up.

4. Go Go Go.

5. Become as one with the universe when it all comes apart.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
ShadowHM,Mar 23 2006, 04:52 AM Wrote:So - has anyone else dreamed of driving a fire truck?

Not quite, though I always wanted to be a firefighter.

OTOH...

A few years ago I had a girlfriend who was (and is) a train junkie. For her birthday, I took her to our local Train Junkie / Locomotive Museum and got the tour package that allowed us to 'drive' a steam engine up and down a mile long track a few times. We never went more than 20 mph I'd guess, but it was FREAKIN' AMAZING to be in semi-control of all those tons of mass and power. The train was a beauty too.

I've gone way too fast on some motorcycles, but this was probably just as exciting. :D
Occhidiangela,Mar 23 2006, 01:12 PM Wrote:How to drive over 200 mph (roughly 320 kph) legally.

1.  Ensure your will that leaves all of your possessions to an overcaffeinated rogue.  Well, maybe to your wife.  :)

2.  Travel to Europe.  Rent the highest end Mercedes or Alpha you can get your hands on.  Head out to the German Autobahn or the Italian Autostrade.

3.  Upon leaving the city limits, and passing beyond the speed limit zone, push all the way down in the accelerator pedal.  Don't let up.

4.  Go Go Go.

5.  Become as one with the universe when it all comes apart.

Occhi
[right][snapback]105279[/snapback][/right]

Fire all of your guns at once and explode in to space, baby!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Actually, if I wanted to realise my dream, I'd need a good car. A really good car. Not sure which type, but probably older heavy iron souped up a bit. Or maybe something newer. I dunno. Maybe something with a nitro burner.

And travel out to the salt flats of Death Valley where they still do high test runs on big beastly cars and motorbikes, as well as play death defying games of chicken with chance and fate.

That's where whatsisname got his rocket powered cycle past the 300mph mark. And somehow managed to keep two wheels on the ground most of the time.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."