LL humour
I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes, in various posts, people use these witty one-liners and satirical barbs which leave me clueless. Maybe it's because I'm a young'n, but I honestly have no idea what the joke is about or what it's referring to or if it has some sublimanl undertone to it. Anyhoo, just letting it be known that some of us younger brigands have no idea what you're talking about.

I won't name names.

Like that Seinfield episode.

But you know who you are.

Yeah, YOU.

And YOU.

And YOU, YOU, and YOU.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Is it in any way ironic that I have no idea what you're talking about?

-Jester
Jester,Mar 21 2006, 09:26 PM Wrote:Is it in any way ironic that I have no idea what you're talking about?

-Jester
[right][snapback]105089[/snapback][/right]

How can I explain it? I'm talking about one-liner replies that sound like they're meant to be a joke. Little quips. Zings, if you will. I really don't know how to explain it better; I'll check out some topics and see if I can give you some examples.

*EDIT*

Ok. Take, for example, the South Park vs. Thetans thread. Second page. When Occhi and Doc are talking about Guinness and baptismal fountains. I really don't get anything of what they're saying. It may be one of those "If you have to explain a joke, than it's not funny" things. I don't know.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Premezilla,Mar 22 2006, 07:29 AM Wrote:How can I explain it?  I'm talking about one-liner replies that sound like they're meant to be a joke.  Little quips. Zings, if you will.  I really don't know how to explain it better; I'll check out some topics and see if I can give you some examples.

*EDIT*

Ok. Take, for example, the South Park vs. Thetans thread. Second page. When Occhi and Doc are talking about Guinness and baptismal fountains. I really don't get anything of what they're saying. It may be one of those "If you have to explain a joke, than it's not funny" things. I don't know.
[right][snapback]105090[/snapback][/right]

It's very possible that Ochi just isn't very funny. :whistling:

But to explain the thread, Doc claimed he'd rather worship mammaries rather than mammon (sex over money), and that his personal church would serve milk for communion. He invited Ochi to join and ochi expressed interest if he could be baptized in alcohol.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
GenericKen,Mar 21 2006, 10:06 PM Wrote:But to explain the thread, Doc claimed he'd rather worship mammaries rather than mammon (sex over money), and that his personal church would serve milk for communion. He invited Ochi to join and ochi expressed interest if he could be baptized in alcohol.
[right][snapback]105092[/snapback][/right]

I guess I kind of get the mammaries/mammon part, because milk comes from mammaries. But I still don't g--

--BAH. Nevermind. I'll leave the deep humour to the professionals.

Hi,

Premezilla,Mar 22 2006, 01:42 PM Wrote:I guess I kind of get the mammaries/mammon part, because milk comes from mammaries. But I still don't g--
[right][snapback]105102[/snapback][/right]
Maybe I don't get it either, but what exactly is so funny about bringing the topic of sex (or, with a similar frequency, violence) into otherwise normal and interesting threads? If the first four letters of two words are the only connection, then it's a rather lame joke IMHO and neither witty nor funny. Maybe it's just me, but this happens a lot lately, and does the signal to noise ratio no good and makes the LL a less interesting place to lurk.

YMMV, of course.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Kylearan,Mar 22 2006, 08:10 AM Wrote:Hi,
Maybe I don't get it either, but what exactly is so funny about bringing the topic of sex (or, with a similar frequency, violence) into otherwise normal and interesting threads? If  the first four letters of two words are the only connection, then it's a rather lame joke IMHO and neither witty nor funny. Maybe it's just me, but this happens a lot lately, and does the signal to noise ratio no good and makes the LL a less interesting place to lurk.

YMMV, of course.

-Kylearan
[right][snapback]105104[/snapback][/right]

It's a bit like attending a panel discussion followed by a Q/A session. If you sit to close to the back of the room, it can be difficult to hear what the panel is saying, and easier to hear the conversations that pop-up among the attendees. In some of the real heavy threads, some folks are trying to make a few jokes to lighten up the discussion, and keep it from getting down right depressing.

In the end, it's a bit like troll posting. Rather than getting a reaction of "How could you say that" you get a reaction of "stay on topic." All I can say is that if the side posting is not your thing, then don't respond to it, rather than yelling stay on topic. Sure, Doc and Occhi could carry on a one liner competition by themselves in a thread that your interested in, but telling them to cut it out is more likely to get the thread closed than it is to bring the discussion back to the original topic. Or at least, that's the way it seems to me.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Premezilla,Mar 22 2006, 05:42 AM Wrote:I guess I kind of get the mammaries/mammon part, because milk comes from mammaries. But I still don't g--

--BAH. Nevermind. I'll leave the deep humour to the professionals.
[right][snapback]105102[/snapback][/right]

If you're a teenager, maybe you are NOT supposed to get it. My 4 y.o. does not get many of the things my 7 y.o. says. Draw your own conclusion and live with it.

-A
Occhi and I are a lot like Statler and Waldorf from the muppet show.

Is that another gag you punk kids today have no clue about? I don't know.

We could leave any paronomasiaphobiac whimpering for mercy.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
GenericKen,Mar 22 2006, 02:06 AM Wrote:It's very possible that Ochi just isn't very funny.  :whistling:
[right][snapback]105092[/snapback][/right]
As I understand it, the next time I post a joke, I am to make it funny. WILCO. *Puts out an All Points Bulletin for my lost sense of humor*
Quote:But to explain the thread, Doc claimed he'd rather worship mammaries rather than mammon (sex over money), and that his personal church would serve milk for communion. He invited Ochi to join and ochi expressed interest if he could be baptized in alcohol
Explaining a joke can eviscerate its punchline and kill the humor. So does spelling my handle incorrectly. It's your fault, sirrah, you have killed the humor in this thread. :P A pox upon thee, vile misspeller! :lol:

As to the joke, the ref was not simply alcohol, it was explicitly Guinness, for which I have a particular affinity. I have frequently offered Guinness to Jester, over the years, and others, as we wind down a discussion on the Lounge. I consider Guinness the next best thing to Mother's Milk.

I often refer to it as Mother's Milk IRL. Two bartenders in this one horse town of mine know what to serve me when I ask for Mother's Milk. Oddly enough, considering Doc's initial joke, they are both chesty women. I wonder if that contributed, subconsciously, to how I formed my response.

*leaves voicemail for Dr Freud, who is still seeking the perfect cigar in Havanna*

The fulcrum of the joke was playing off Doc's lampoon of worship/religion by positing an inane stipulation: to consider changing to his new religion only if baptisms were done with Guinness.
Kylaren Wrote:Maybe I don't get it either, but what exactly is so funny about bringing the topic of sex (or, with a similar frequency, violence) into otherwise normal and interesting threads?
The pun and the malapropism are both low forms of humor. At least I didn't resort to a fart joke. :whistling:

Unless one drinks as much caffeine as I do, one may not make the same free associations, which is another fine reason I do not do comedy for a living: I'd make Paris Hilton appear corpulent.

FWIW, I used to see a lot of references on the internet to "there is no spoon" that meant nothing to me until I went and watched the Matrix, again, and picked up on that line. I'd not ever get the joke on "All your Base" had I not clicked on a link at the old DSF, all those years ago.

Humor is often contextual, if not always consensual. ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I agree. Clique action is key.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Mar 22 2006, 09:14 AM Wrote:I agree. Clique action is key.
[right][snapback]105119[/snapback][/right]
So is click action. ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Sex & Violence was the name of the very first muppet show ever broadcast. :whistling:
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 22 2006, 02:19 PM Wrote:Occhi and I are a lot like Statler and Waldorf from the muppet show.

Is that another gag you punk kids today have no clue about? I don't know.

We could leave any paronomasiaphobiac whimpering for mercy.
[right][snapback]105114[/snapback][/right]

And to explain, here's a nice "two-liner" (simpsons)

Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?
Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

eppie
Aww, is Lion-O a little confused?

[Image: thundercatsono6b.jpg]

Seriously though, if you don't understand something and want to, ask. Most folks on the lounge have their own particular brand of humor. And with folks of such differing ages the vintage of humor offered can vary greatly.

Oh, and if you're too shy/unsure/insecure to ask - don't worry about it. Most of the jokes on the lounge are harmless fluff that only relates to the subject matter in the vaguest sense. :P

EDIT: just a small to, too, two problem. Hey at least it wasn't a tutu problem ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Hi,

Premezilla,Mar 22 2006, 12:13 AM Wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes, in various posts, people use these witty one-liners and satirical barbs which leave me clueless.[right][snapback]105088[/snapback][/right]
Don't feel bad. I'm on the verge of getting old and I don't get many of the one liners and references either. Especially anything new (say from the last 20 years) or old enough that I've forgotten the source (say from the 20 years previous to 'new'). I just read, shrug, and smile at my ignorance ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I thinks its mostly one poster. We have one person who loves to make obscure references often with out even a hint to the origen, in the course some droll humer. And I dont mean hipster references.

I dont really get why "they" do it. It seems silly or pretenscious to me, but it adds some variety which isnt all bad. I ussually ignore it as being an attempt at that ultimate inside joke.
Ghostiger,Mar 22 2006, 06:13 PM Wrote:I thinks its mostly one poster. We have one person who loves to make obscure references often with out even a hint to the origen, in the course some droll humer. And I dont mean hipster references.

I dont really get why "they" do it. It seems silly or pretenscious to me, but it adds some variety which isnt all bad. I ussually ignore it as being an attempt at that ultimate inside joke.
[right][snapback]105193[/snapback][/right]

And who would that be?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
The one armed man?

The gunman on the grassy knoll?
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 22 2006, 07:22 PM Wrote:The one armed man?

The gunman on the grassy knoll?
[right][snapback]105201[/snapback][/right]

IT WAS THAT BASTARD COLONEL MUSTARD! IN THE BALLROOM WITH THE CANDLESTICK!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."