The Lord of the Rings on Stage
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...Id=5285362

This is about the stage version of The Lord of the Rings.

It has "a cost of more than $24 million" and there is "a cast of 55, an orchestra of 18, and a set with a turntable and 17 elevators."

This 3.5-hour show starts in Toronto March 23.

What think you?
-degrak
Using more than one question mark does not make it anymore of a question.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
Scrape,Mar 21 2006, 09:20 AM Wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...Id=5285362

This is about the stage version of The Lord of the Rings.

It has "a cost of more than $24 million" and there is "a cast of 55, an orchestra of 18, and a set with a turntable and 17 elevators."

This 3.5-hour show starts in Toronto March 23.

What think you?
[right][snapback]104996[/snapback][/right]

I think the stage production is going to be standing in a rather large shadow. It's going to have to be exceptional to gain recognition after the epic scope of the onscreen trilogy.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 21 2006, 10:29 AM Wrote:I think the stage production is going to be standing in a rather large shadow.  It's going to have to be exceptional to gain recognition after the epic scope of the onscreen trilogy.
[right][snapback]104998[/snapback][/right]

Maybe, but a good play is an experience all to it's self. If life was fair, it wouldn't be compared to the movie at all.

Just my two cents mind you.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
An 18-man orchestra doesn't sound like it would give enough depth to the music needed for this production.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
If life were fair, sure.

Me? I'm getting a helmet.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 21 2006, 11:27 AM Wrote:If life were fair, sure.

Me?  I'm getting a helmet.
[right][snapback]105003[/snapback][/right]

You and Dennis Leary.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Zarathustra,Mar 21 2006, 10:27 AM Wrote:If life were fair, sure.

Me?  I'm getting a helmet.
[right][snapback]105003[/snapback][/right]
I finally found that brand of cigarettes with the skull and crossbones label, brand name Tumors. ;) I had already quit smoking, so I didn't buy any.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
There are quite a few restauranteurs in Toronto who are desperately hoping y'all will come to town to see the show. :)

From an article in Toronto Life magazine, by the general manager of one restaurant complex near the Princess of Wales theatre:

Quote:"Before 9/11, half our pre-theatre business was American tourists - coachloads from Buffalo and Rochester, families here for the weekend.  Than we had SARS, the war in Iraq, the stronger Canadian dollar, the price of gas, delays at the borders.  We get some Europeans in the summer, but Americans aren't travelling anymore.... everything's riding on Lord of the Rings."

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Mar 22 2006, 11:26 AM Wrote:There are quite a few restauranteurs in Toronto who are desperately hoping y'all will come to town to see the show.  :)

From an article in Toronto Life magazine, by the general manager of one restaurant complex near the Princess of Wales theatre:
[right][snapback]105155[/snapback][/right]
I wonder if the very public reaction to American policy in Iraq is a contributor is as well, or if the border hassle is the critical factor.

I don't go to Mexico anymore, rarely did previously. The car insurance, the hassle, is not worth it for what I might find interesting.

A co worker's mom and dad do all their doctor visits in Mexico, so they can affort them.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I know people who have gone, and they said it was really good. I'm scheduled to go for business, taking the client out for the evening. It's a diverse group, 20 of us or so, I'll try and remember to post back after I've gone.
Occhidiangela,Mar 22 2006, 05:33 PM Wrote:I wonder if the very public reaction to American policy in Iraq is a contributor is as well, or if the border hassle is the critical factor.

So far, I can't say that there's a pervailing negativity that is directed at Americans here. More like your government, your political orientation, that kind of fluff.

Of course, maybe it may look like there's a resentment against Americans from your side of the Great Fence-to-be of Canada.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Mar 22 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:So far, I can't say that there's a pervailing negativity that is directed at Americans here. More like your government, your political orientation, that kind of fluff.

Of course, maybe it may look like there's a resentment against Americans from your side of the Great Fence-to-be of Canada.
[right][snapback]105174[/snapback][/right]
You appear to have misunderstood my question. Why would Americans go to Canada less often: antipathy for the overwhelmingly negative rhetoric coming from north of the border, or the border hassles that have arrived since 9-11, or the pain in the butt of flying anywhere post 9-11?

As for fences, not that effective a deterrent. If you want to defend a border, you need a multi zone surveillance package, dispersed and mobile quick reaction forces, and the willingness to shoot to kill. Otherwise, the border won't stand, and only deters the lawful traveller.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Just got back from the show, it was pretty good, I enjoyed it.

The staging was really great, it was really appealing visually. The end of the first act was the Balrog, and it was really fantastic... lights, wind, and they blew this confetti stuff at us, it really made it feel like the stuff on stage was moving towards you.

The story was... well... they weren't really faithful at all, but I imagine that that was due to the time constraint. Even so, it was a little over 3.5 hours long. On the other hand, they did hit a number of points that I think they put in because they were complaints that people made when the movies were coming out... Glorfindel, the Scouring of the Shire, and there is a mention of Tom Bombadil at the end. Still, I found the story disappointing.

The songs and singing weren't terrible, but weren't fantastic either. The hobbit songs were the best, the elven ones were a little laboured, especially since small parts of them were in elvish.

But the production and visual effects were the best part, definitely. In addition to the Balrog scene, Aragorn's waking of the armies of the dead was really neat, and there is a dance scene in Bree that was great to watch.

Gollum was a big hit with most of our group as well... the actor who played him did a great job, both physically and with the material he was given.

(I was totally rolling my eyes on the way out, though... so many people talking about how they love LotR, but how they had never read the books, about how there is no action in The Hobbit and it was therefore impossible to read, about how the musical really took licenses with the story, since the Scouring of the Shire was "just made up". <sigh>)
martini,Apr 18 2006, 10:43 PM Wrote:Just got back from the show, it was pretty good, I enjoyed it.

The staging was really great, it was really appealing visually. The end of the first act was the Balrog, and it was really fantastic... lights, wind, and they blew this confetti stuff at us, it really made it feel like the stuff on stage was moving towards you.

The story was... well... they weren't really faithful at all, but I imagine that that was due to the time constraint. Even so, it was a little over 3.5 hours long. On the other hand, they did hit a number of points that I think they put in because they were complaints that people made when the movies were coming out... Glorfindel, the Scouring of the Shire, and there is a mention of Tom Bombadil at the end. Still, I found the story disappointing.

The songs and singing weren't terrible, but weren't fantastic either. The hobbit songs were the best, the elven ones were a little laboured, especially since small parts of them were in elvish.

But the production and visual effects were the best part, definitely. In addition to the Balrog scene, Aragorn's waking of the armies of the dead was really neat, and there is a dance scene in Bree that was great to watch.

Gollum was a big hit with most of our group as well... the actor who played him did a great job, both physically and with the material he was given.
(I was totally rolling my eyes on the way out, though... so many people talking about how they love LotR, but how they had never read the books, about how there is no action in The Hobbit and it was therefore impossible to read, about how the musical really took licenses with the story, since the Scouring of the Shire was "just made up". <sigh>)
[right][snapback]107690[/snapback][/right]
Might this show go on the road, to maybe Dallas or Houston?

*crosses fingers*

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 19 2006, 10:10 AM Wrote:Might this show go on the road, to maybe Dallas or Houston?&nbsp;

*crosses fingers*

Occhi
[right][snapback]107723[/snapback][/right]
Well, I guess anything is possible... I don't really know how these things work, but from what I hear, the reviews have been mixed, so that might not bode well for the show's continuance.