My Sword Collection...
hello all Lurkers,

I'm new to this forum. I played Diablo (SP) a lot when it came out, but no battle.net. Now I've been playing it again for a while in MP obviously, and I've been reading up on all the strategy I can find.

Since I got my warrior to level 30 recently I decided to go on a Sword Hunt. Here's what my hundreds of visits to GrisMart turned up:

King's Two-Handed Sword of Speed (So close and yet so far!)
King's Broad Sword of Speed (Better...)
King's Broad Sword of Blood (Nice to have...)
Master's Bastard Sword of the Vampire (I absolutely love this for shrine hunts / Laz runs)
King's Bastard Sword of the Ages (I just had to blick 'buy', didn't I?)

Also I found a Doombringer down in the dungeon, which fits into the collection nicely.

So what do you all think? Is it pointless to keep bothering Gris looking for the perfect KSOH? I'm a bit obsessed with it now. On the other hand, I just did a Laz run and Red Vex caughed up a Royal Circlet, so that encourages me to go that route for a while. Or should I concentrate on leveling up?

Just wanted to introduce myself, share my experience, and see if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks.

-mekane
I've seen King's broad sword of Haste once at Wirt. For a year straight I looked for King's bastard of haste from anywhere and went back after years to find one.

I ended up , after hundreds of runs like you, buying a King's bastard sword of Speed from Griz. It had 97% to hit and 152% damage. Because of the bug speed is as good as haste and its cheaper to repair to.

I stopped when my guy was level 38, so many people cheating on there, honestly its 99% of them cheating. Offering godly stuff I have no interest at all in. Someday I will go back I saved my character. I still have yet to find a AWesome full plate with a suffix. And I had 2 or 3 Obsedian/zods back then but with all my effort couldnt find a one when I went back so someday i hope to find again.

mekane,Mar 3 2006, 07:54 PM Wrote:hello all Lurkers,

I'm new to this forum. I played Diablo (SP) a lot when it came out, but no battle.net.  Now I've been playing it again for a while in MP obviously, and I've been reading up on all the strategy I can find.

Since I got my warrior to level 30 recently I decided to go on a Sword Hunt. Here's what my hundreds of visits to GrisMart turned up:

King's Two-Handed Sword of Speed  (So close and yet so far!)
King's Broad Sword of Speed  (Better...)
King's Broad Sword of Blood  (Nice to have...)
Master's Bastard Sword of the Vampire  (I absolutely love this for shrine hunts / Laz runs)
King's Bastard Sword of the Ages  (I just had to blick 'buy', didn't I?)

Also I found a Doombringer down in the dungeon, which fits into the collection nicely.
So what do you all think?  Is it pointless to keep bothering Gris looking for the perfect KSOH? I'm a bit obsessed with it now. On the other hand, I just did a Laz run and Red Vex caughed up a Royal Circlet, so that encourages me to go that route for a while. Or should I concentrate on leveling up?

Just wanted to introduce myself, share my experience, and see if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks.

-mekane
[right][snapback]103503[/snapback][/right]
well most warriors would do great with that kings broad sword of speed, the only reason you would need a kings bastard sword of haste/speed is if you are not doing enough damage to stun; which im sure at lvl 30 is no problem. but then again there is always the novelty of having a close to perfect KSOH or KSOS. so unless you are obsessed with perfect items leveling up or killing lazarus is a much better use of your time. and like TheKingofKewl said
Quote:Because of the bug speed is as good as haste and its cheaper to repair to.
I personaly enjoy hunting lazarus and his gang because of the wonderful rings and uniques they drop which cannot be bought at griswald.

Happy Hunting!
In hell difficulty, GRis is an okay place to go for swords, but your not going to find the sword your looking for their. I remember actually finding KSOH at wirts once, but usually you have to go to hell to find such a sword. You can consult Julfur's if you want to find out the best possibilities for getting certain items.
Quote:In hell difficulty, GRis is an okay place to go for swords

The difficulty of the game is irrelevent when shopping from Griswold, since the magical items he offers are based purely on character level.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
There is no difference whatsoever between KSOH and KSOS. Speed is actually a tiny bit better since it costs less to repair. Of course gold is irrelevant once you get to H/H.

Generally speaking, you want a KSOS/H or a KSOV for the "connoiseurs" of the "use the fewest pots" type of play. You can toss the rest.

Strange/Speed was also used in PVP against Ro's, but that is close to impossible to get and is only available at Wirt.

Now, if you played some mods, there *would* be a difference between haste and speed as that bug was fixed in a number of mods, and does make a noticable difference. Personally, I recommend VK and their later version VK ME (middle earth) mod. Yes, it is for D1 not D2. Solo is difficult though.

BTW, out of all the swords mentioned, all are good enough for H/H.... except Doombringer which is unusable due to it's poor ToHit% and Master's requires some help from other items to be usable.

-A
I once pulled a beautiful +174% damage King's bastard Sword of Speed from Griswold's shop window.

You know you've got it bad when you start tossing +151's away because they're "not good enough". :blush:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 9 2006, 03:29 PM Wrote:You know you've got it bad when you start tossing +151's away because they're "not good enough".  :blush:
[right][snapback]104070[/snapback][/right]

My best D1 sword was a measly +154% damage KSoS. It had a perfect +100% ToHit though, which made it absolutely awesome :)
I don't have a place to host the picture but I pulled a King's of Speed (bastard form) from Grizzy with 96% to hit and 152% damage :-)

Rhydderch Hael,Mar 9 2006, 07:29 PM Wrote:I once pulled a beautiful +174% damage King's bastard Sword of Speed from Griswold's shop window.

You know you've got it bad when you start tossing +151's away because they're "not good enough".  :blush:
[right][snapback]104070[/snapback][/right]
Quote:I don't have a place to host the picture

ImageShack

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
hmm i'd rather find than buy it, i found a full Crimson Zodiac ammy once, it still beats anything i've bought from shops, it just doesnt make you feel you've done anything to get that sword. Usually i check on gris once a game, and check on wirt only when i want to go to the caves. Adria gets some more visits, since finding the good higher level books in the dungeon can be qutie a hassle.
Characters: Standard Diablo Rogues: 'Paardenpoep' l36, 'Purechocolade' l31; Sorcerers 'Toverkol' l40, 'Zwarte Piet' l32, 'ZureHaring' l28 (no fb), Warrior 'Klotebeest' l29, LoL characters: rogues 'Roggebrood' l26 and 'Ironvrouw' l7, sorcerer ToverLol l20, warrior LolleBolleGijs l16 ironman character name 'Ironlady', read Toverlol's journey log
My single player character has a King's Board Sword of Haste. Good enough, I guess - took me a while to find it (Wirt), though. :angry: My current character for multiplayer has a Savage Broad Sword of The Heavens. I'm rather satisfied with that one.
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))
mekane,Mar 3 2006, 07:54 PM Wrote:hello all Lurkers,

I'm new to this forum. I played Diablo (SP) a lot when it came out, but no battle.net.  Now I've been playing it again for a while in MP obviously, and I've been reading up on all the strategy I can find.

King's Two-Handed Sword of Speed  (So close and yet so far!)
King's Broad Sword of Speed  (Better...)
King's Broad Sword of Blood  (Nice to have...)
Master's Bastard Sword of the Vampire  (I absolutely love this for shrine hunts / Laz runs)
King's Bastard Sword of the Ages  (I just had to blick 'buy', didn't I?)

So what do you all think?  Is it pointless to keep bothering Gris looking for the perfect KSOH? I'm a bit obsessed with it now. On the other hand, I just did a Laz run and Red Vex caughed up a Royal Circlet, so that encourages me to go that route for a while. Or should I concentrate on leveling up?

Thanks.

-mekane
[right][snapback]103503[/snapback][/right]

That´s a`pretty impresive collection, i´m new here and if you have any good tips for me that would be great.