Banking Rant
In a pig's eye !

Effective March 1st (with a phase-in to June 30) my bank (Royal Bank of Canada) is MAKING me register every single vendor that I pay bills to in their database, IF I wish to continue the convenient practice of paying these bills at the bank.

If I don't want to do this, I can pay them by snail-mail. :angry:

I have spent all of my morning on this. First, I had to go fiind examples of all the damn bills I pay. THEN find them on the Bank's database. THEN input an interminably long account/customer/roll number from somewhere on the damn bill. THEN cross-check (and I am now cross-eyed) to ensure that I input the number accurately (small print and too many damn zero's at the end of the numbers).

I already knew I had too many bills. This is really annoying me because I have to input this all by account and vendor. i.e. If I pay two electricity bills, I have to input each separately.

I am nowhere close to done.

And that isn't the least of it. I have to do the same thing all over again for my husband's account, so HE can pay those bills too, should it be needed. And, since I am the designated family banking rep, I had to go about finding out how I can set that up for him, and then had to suffer the goddamn condescending lecture from the well-meaning bank rep on the phone about the dangers of him sharing his internet banking passwords with anyone, including ME.

If I wasn't sure that all the banks would be doing this soon, I would be having some meetings about what other bank might like my business, instead of this drudgery.

And, DON'T even think of waxing joyful about the benefits of online banking on me. I resent this intrusion onto my time and privacy. I WANT to walk into a bank and be waited on. It has worked just fine for a long time and I DON'T want to change.

So THERE.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

They can do that?

Seems... Well, I dunno, intrusive.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
ShadowHM,Mar 3 2006, 10:53 AM Wrote:In a pig's eye !
==
Lovely Rant.  :D
==
So THERE.
[right][snapback]103473[/snapback][/right]
I still pay by snail mail. A good reason to do that in America is to ensure that postal employees are employeed and, having a paycheck, are less likely to go postal.

Call it defensive finance. :w00t:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I bank with RBC as well, and I noticed that change. I'm hoping that it doesn't affect me, since I have all of my bills set up as direct-debit with the billing companies. Since the transactions are initiated by the billing companies, I believe that I'm off the hook. It sucks when a system that works really well for you and your family is no longer available to you. :(

Re: Direct Deposit for bills: Yes, this means that there are companies out there who have my bank account number. Yes, I've heard horror-stories about companies taking your money and having to be persuaded to give it back. Neither of these concerns me too much. In the end, I like knowing that all my bills (including credit card) are paid without me having to remember them or lift a finger, and I always check the amounts at least once a month.
I avoid automatic draws and bill payer type services for bills. I do not use my financial institution's bill payer services mainly because of the monthly fees and the feeling that I wouldn't be in complete control of my finances. I usually initiate one time transactions online directly with the companies I need to pay. If they aren't set up for that I use regular mail.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein