Magic finding
:unsure: Back in the original diablo days I once read something about a 1% chance of normal monsters dropping uniques and something like 5% for unique monsters dropping them.

So I am very curious to know, what with the difficultly in finding some unique items here in Diablo II what the odds are without gear.

And as well with mf gear. So what are the odds each monster will drop with 25% mf on you and the odds of 200% or 300% ?

I've been trying for ages to get items like Courpsemourn off of diablo and baal and their cohorts off of nightmare mode with pretty high mf around 275. The monster levels seem high enough for it to be possible

Can someone clear this up for me please and thank you kindly =) :huh:
I suggest using ATMA's built in drop calculator. :)

wow thanks, i never realized the odds were so stacked against finding magic items :-( it really does pay to get the Mf up as high as you can i guess.

bigeyedbug,Mar 1 2006, 05:38 PM Wrote:I suggest using ATMA's built in drop calculator.  :)
[right][snapback]103278[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Mar 1 2006, 10:15 AM Wrote:wow thanks, i never realized the odds were so stacked against finding magic items :-( it really does pay to get the Mf up as high as you can i guess.
[right][snapback]103281[/snapback][/right]

Maybe. The diminishing returns of MF on the no-drop chance are very steep. And MF has to be balanced against killing speed: If you're halving your kill speed just to go from 300 to 400 MF, it's really not worth it. There's also the safety aspect to consider.

Maybe even more important than any of that is expectation management. It's best to think in terms of all the possible items that can work, and everything one can do that isn't reliant on items at all, rather than hoping for something specific to drop.
I thought you couldnt get past 300 mf?

I will just try and get it high as i can and be safe and just play for fun and get what i get :-)

i been playing every day since Augest thats scary. I had to have my friend hide the game for a week. This is my first day without, I havn't gotten the shakes just yet :w00t: :huh:

bigeyedbug,Mar 1 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:Maybe.  The diminishing returns of MF on the no-drop chance are very steep.  And MF has to be balanced against killing speed:  If you're halving your kill speed just to go from 300 to 400 MF, it's really not worth it.  There's also the safety aspect to consider.

Maybe even more important than any of that is expectation management.  It's  best to think in terms of all the possible items that can work, and everything one can do that isn't reliant on items at all,  rather than hoping for something specific to drop.
[right][snapback]103283[/snapback][/right]
The mavina's true sight seems ridicously low chances of finding. At 300 mf with 2 people I still seem to have 1: 400,000 chance of getting on the best uniques. No wonder people are trading and buying things on ebay, its near impossible to find it.
What a let down, I wanted to complete Mavina's and Ik on my own :(

bigeyedbug,Mar 1 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:Maybe.  The diminishing returns of MF on the no-drop chance are very steep.  And MF has to be balanced against killing speed:  If you're halving your kill speed just to go from 300 to 400 MF, it's really not worth it.  There's also the safety aspect to consider.

Maybe even more important than any of that is expectation management.  It's  best to think in terms of all the possible items that can work, and everything one can do that isn't reliant on items at all,  rather than hoping for something specific to drop.
[right][snapback]103283[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Mar 1 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:I thought  you couldnt get past 300 mf?
[right][snapback]103294[/snapback][/right]

The theoretical maximum is quite a bit higher than that: Clicky.

Personally though, I'm much more used to dealing with MF numbers in the 0-50 range. ^_^

I may be able to get these items after all. I found the Stone Crusher, Ik.

And that has high odds against it even with 3 players and 150 mf which I couldnt have had more than that at the time on Act 4 on regular monsters and uniques.

So maybe I can get this Soul Cage and true Sight after all.

bigeyedbug,Mar 2 2006, 12:02 AM Wrote:The theoretical maximum is quite a bit higher than that: Clicky.   

Personally though, I'm much more used to dealing with MF numbers in the 0-50 range. ^_^
[right][snapback]103316[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Mar 1 2006, 06:58 PM Wrote:The mavina's true sight seems ridicously low chances of finding. At 300 mf with 2 people I still seem to have 1: 400,000 chance of getting on the best uniques. No wonder people are trading and buying things on ebay, its near impossible to find it.
What a let down, I wanted to complete Mavina's and Ik on my own :(
[right][snapback]103313[/snapback][/right]

Mavina's true sight is a diadem, and when gambling diadems you'll always get a diadem right? maybe gambling for diadems would increase your chance of getting mavs helm(as opposed to trying for ik which could spawn as ancient, ornate, or sacred) oh and i think the stone crusher is the second most common piece after the helmet, so...
GriffonSpade,Apr 2 2006, 03:24 PM Wrote:Mavina's true sight is a diadem, and when gambling diadems you'll always get a diadem right?
[right][snapback]106055[/snapback][/right]
Diadems don't appear on the gambling screen. You can only gamble coronets and hope they upgrade to a diadem.

-G.

Edit: fixed brain-dead error pointed out by Adeyke below.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
Grayloch,Apr 2 2006, 06:49 PM Wrote:Diadems don't appear on the gambling screen. You can only gamble circlets and coronets and hope they upgrade to a diadem.

-G.
[right][snapback]106065[/snapback][/right]

If something shows up as a circlet on the gambling screen, it'll always be a circlet. You have to gamble a coronet if you want a chance at diadem.