Wingstop
Greetings!

While in town the other day I decided to try eating at Wingstop. This was my first time eating at one of these so I had high expectations. I would say that my experience was a good one overall, however, I had heard quite a bit about the Atomic sauce and was eager to try it. Most people I have talked to have said the Atomic sauce was so insane that you cannot eat it. Those few who have actually managed to eat some wings with this stuff say it is not possible to eat more than three, so naturally I obtained 15 despite the looks and warnings of the staff:D. It is not possible to tell you how upset I was over the fact that these Atomic wings are NOT as advertised. Sure they are hot, but not nearly what I was hoping for. Oh well, at least I have a new spicy food to crave. Has anybody here tried these wings? How was your encounter?

-Nomad
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Hmmm. I'd be interested to see where thier Atomic sauce ranks on the Scoville scale. For most spicy aficionados anything under 50,000 - 100,000 is a joke.
I've had wings too hot for me to eat before. Only once. The place I had them at ... their second hottest wings were the second hottest I've ever had, and their third hottest might have even been the third.

But the hottest wings there... holy hell. I love hot food, and regularly indulge in ridiculous Thai, Indian and Mexican dishes that generate considerable heat. But these stopped me dead. One wing, and I was utterly uninterested in a second. Several pints of beer just lit my throat on fire as well.

I had a friend who was long considered to be basically immune to spice. You know the dish of fresh chilis and fish sauce they give you at some Thai places? He'd eat that like a salad. He polished off a dozen of these wings, in one agonizing evening, and it nearly killed him. Sweating, vomiting, shaking... and in the morning, complaints of temporary blindness.

So, I've found my match, and I'll take my leave of them. Most commercial places produce wings that are barely hot enough to tickle, even while advertising "the hottest wings ever" or some such nonsense.

-Jester
Greetings!

Wingstop`s Atomic wings don`t quite stack up against something like C.A. Johns Magma sauce, but I have been told the sauce is made with Habanero peppers. I would say the sauce likely rates around 200,000 units. Like I said their sauce is hot, but I was lead to believe it was liquid fire:(. Their Original Hot sauce is comparible to Frank`s Red Hot in my book, tasty but not that hot. The next level they offer is Cajun, followed by the Atomic. I will try the Cajun sauce next time to see how it stacks up against the other two hot varieties in flavor and heat. The hottest wings I`ve had were wings I made myself with a nice batch of Magma sauce. That stuff is good for heat without extra flavor so it`s a good additive in and on many things.

-Nomad
Quote:He polished off a dozen of these wings, in one agonizing evening, and it nearly killed him. Sweating, vomiting, shaking... and in the morning, complaints of temporary blindness.
That reminded me of an incident I was involved in a few years ago. I had grown some Naga Jolokia peppers from seeds a friend of mine had brought back from India and brought a few into work for the chefs to play around with.

Before I had had a chance to explain what they were, our sous chef stuck a whole one in his mouth and bit down. Within seconds he was writhing on the floor in pain. His wife had to come and take him home as he couldn't stop shaking and was unable to drive. He ended up having to take that night, and the next two, off work to recover.

Another thing I've learnt from years working in hospo is that what is labeled as 'mild', 'medium' and 'hot' in North America seems to be lower than what we have here and in the UK/Europe. At one of the hotels I worked at, we picked up a contract with a US tourline, and the kitchen had to change the recipe of one of the Thai dishes to make it milder whenever that tour was here as we had too many complaints that it was too hot (even though it was what we considered to only be of medium heat).

The same goes for mustard. I worked for a while in a restaurant that did a Roast Beef Sandwich which came with a ramekin of a very hot English Mustard. It was, unlike most English mustards available here, unfortunately the same colour as American mustard (English mustards are usually browner, not containing as much turmeric). Because of the strength of the mustard, the ramekin was only about 1/3 full, as that was more than enough. However, what kept happening with our American and Canadian diners was that they'd spread it very thickly on about 1/4 of the roast beef then ask to have the ramekin refilled to the top so they could do the rest of the sandwich. This inevitably led to us having to cook them another sandwich, as they'd rendered 1/4 of their's completely inedible. We eventually just switched to chutney instead.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Duplicate post. Please remove.

-W.C. Fields
200,000?

Why stop there? Try for 16 million scovilles.

Hot sauce so hot they had to pull the liquid out.

-Jester
I like hot food myself, really hot. My father always cooked food in spicy ways, so a few red peppers went into a lot of dishes one way or the other. since I ate that food since my early teens, I built quite some tolerance for peppers. The Dutch quisine, however, is known for it's extreme blandness. There's nothing but a whiff of ground black or white pepper involved in any of the traditional dishes. So when the American food chains popped up (pizzaria's mostly, like domino's) and advertised their hot and spicy pizza I and my mates checked it out. I was unimpressed with the pizza (way too fatty and 'normally' spiced in my opinion). My friends drank 2 litres of coke each to get their pizza's down. It's all about tolerance. Now at work we have a guy from India visiting. He brings along his own food. Even three seats away, as he opens his breadbox, my eyes start to water at the potence of the stuff he has. Those people are crazy.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Greetings.

I doubt I will ever try something that hot. 16,000,000 units is as hot as it gets and I am not that crazy lol. I think Dave`s Insanity Sauce rates 250,000 and the Ultimate Insanity Sauce rates 500,000. Magma sauce varies from batch to batch like a number of other sauces made with Capsaicin (sp?) but I believe it runs 500,000 to 1,000,000. For comparison, a good bottle of Tobasco rates 2,500 units. As for Indian dishes, those guys are crazy, perhaps more so than the guys behind Thai food.

-Nomad
Quote:The Dutch quisine, however, is known for it's extreme blandness. There's nothing but a whiff of ground black or white pepper involved in any of the traditional dishes.
However, did not the Dutch traders in Indonesia introduce a lot of spicy quisine to Dutch people? That's what I was told growing up (my mother's family comes from Holland). We used to eat dishes like Nasi Goreng served with sambal at least once a week. And even though Indonesia is way closer than Holland is, when I was a child, there were no Asian food markets here, so sambals and other such ingredients were bought at the Dutch butchery/delicatessen (I'm really hoping that whoever was exporting them her from Holland had them picked up from Indoesia and then sent here. Otherwise, they probably traveled the exact same route back on the way here).

Quote:Now at work we have a guy from India visiting. He brings along his own food. Even three seats away, as he opens his breadbox, my eyes start to water at the potence of the stuff he has. Those people are crazy.

I used to work with a few Fijian Indians. After they learnt that I was a big curry fan, they used to bring some to work for me. They definitely took a bit of getting used to.

-W.C. Fields
Quote: We used to eat dishes like Nasi Goreng served with sambal at least once a week.

Sambal has one awesome property IMO. It's more of a slow and lingering burn, compared to say a fast burn like wasabe. If someone can handle the first 5-10 seconds of wasabe, chances are they're over the worst part and it's done.

With sambal, it's not necessarily the amount of heat, but how it works up to it. It's like a ramping damage over time. I have no scientific data and only anecdotal evidence, but my guess is that sambal's initial slow burn can lower some eater's 'spicy hot defense rating'.

I base that only on a somewhat funny incident (well funny to me) involving a relative who fancied himself a global gourmand, never tasted sambal before but declared how bad could it be since he's eaten genuine roadside Mexican tamale, eaten the spiciest Jamaican cuisines etc.

So at the start of the meal where he wanted to try sambal, he was quite underwhelmed. As the meal progressed however, he started to empty his water glass more often. By the time the meal was over, he was gasping and nearly in tears. He asked what kind of sambal was that, and someone said 'mild'.

On whatever hot scale you want to use sambal is probably not the highest, but it's probably one of the more unsuspectingly devious ones, and hilarious in the right circumstances.

Quote:However, did not the Dutch traders in Indonesia introduce a lot of spicy quisine to Dutch people?
Historically, it was European traders who introduced spicy (as we understand it, in the burning-hot sense, not the numbing-hot sense) food to Indonesia, Thailand, and India. The chili pepper is native to Mexico, not to Asia.

But yes, the Dutch more or less get their spicy food through the influence of their colonies.

-Jester
Quote:Historically, it was European traders who introduced spicy (as we understand it, in the burning-hot sense, not the numbing-hot sense) food to Indonesia, Thailand, and India. The chili pepper is native to Mexico, not to Asia.

-Jester

Interesting....I didn't know that. I wonder what they were eating in India before the chilly peppers were cultivated there.
Quote:Several pints of beer just lit my throat on fire as well.

-Jester

That's your issue right there. Never, EVER, drink non-coating non-base liquids with spicy food, you're only asking for the heat to increase. Spicy foods use acids to create the heat effect, so if you injest something that is not going to try and reverse that, it's only going to get worse. The best things to do when dealing with spicy foods is either to also injest breads (why do you think a indian meals also add bread as a side item) or milk (a natural base and coating liquid) to get the fires under control from the acids.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Greetings!

Wingstop`s Atomic wings don`t quite stack up against something like C.A. Johns Magma sauce, but I have been told the sauce is made with Habanero peppers. I would say the sauce likely rates around 200,000 units. Like I said their sauce is hot, but I was lead to believe it was liquid fire:(. Their Original Hot sauce is comparible to Frank`s Red Hot in my book, tasty but not that hot. The next level they offer is Cajun, followed by the Atomic. I will try the Cajun sauce next time to see how it stacks up against the other two hot varieties in flavor and heat. The hottest wings I`ve had were wings I made myself with a nice batch of Magma sauce. That stuff is good for heat without extra flavor so it`s a good additive in and on many things.

-Nomad

Habenero peppers themselves are 500k on the Scosville scale. I use to work with a woman in Tucson that ate them raw and thought nothing of it.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:That's your issue right there.
No, my issue was that I ate wings that were so hot it's scary to contemplate. The rest is just details.

But you're right, there is no reason to drink beer to cool your mouth after wings, nor is there any reason to expect it to help, unless you're in agony, and anything to even temporarily dull the pain is tried with all vigour. :lol:

-Jester
Quote:But you're right, there is no reason to drink beer to cool your mouth after wings, nor is there any reason to expect it to help, unless you're in agony, and anything to even temporarily dull the pain is tried with all vigour.
There's always a reason to drink beer. To quote Pete's old mantra cogito ergo bebo.
Hi,

Quote:The best things to do when dealing with spicy foods is either to also injest breads (why do you think a indian meals also add bread as a side item) or milk (a natural base and coating liquid) to get the fires under control from the acids.
My favorite cuisine is that of northern New Mexico (Santa Fe area). Part of what I love about it is that the meal is served with a bowl of sopaipillas and a jar of honey. Alternating a bite of fire with a bite of sweetness is an indescribable experience. As to beverage, though I dearly love good beer, I've found that hot coffee seems to cool the mouth the best, possibly because the heat helps to dissolve and wash away the oily spices.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:There's always a reason to drink beer. To quote Pete's old mantra cogito ergo bebo.
Hey, now. Let's not get carried away. I certainly never said there was no reason to drink beer. I said there's no reason to drink beer to cool your mouth. :D

-Jester