intro
Does anyone know what that sword in the opening video is about? I've heard rumors about it being Izual's sword, but I'm not sure if thats true.
I once wondered about this to. Unfortunitly the intro didn't really have much to do with the story as I had hoped. The village was destroyed in it. But then you need some villagers to keep things interesting I think.

The sword doesn't play a part in the story, though I like to think of it (only personally) as the king's sword of haste, cause (for me) its the best sword in the game. And the sword in the pic looks to be a bastard sword.

So I look at it as whatever your dream - ideal sword is. :-)

sorry

Master DS5,Feb 26 2006, 09:15 PM Wrote:Does anyone know what that sword in the opening video is about? I've heard rumors about it being Izual's sword, but I'm not sure if thats true.
[right][snapback]103016[/snapback][/right]
TheKingofKewl,Feb 28 2006, 02:59 PM Wrote:I once wondered about this to. Unfortunitly the intro didn't really have much to do with the story as I had hoped. The village was destroyed in it. But then you need some villagers to keep things interesting I think.

The sword doesn't play a part in the story, though I like to think of it (only personally) as the king's sword of haste, cause (for me) its the best sword in the game. And the sword in the pic looks to be a bastard sword.

So I look at it as whatever your dream - ideal sword is. :-)

sorry
[right][snapback]103219[/snapback][/right]

I always thought the sword was marking a grave, thus the mound it rests upon. In the olden days when soldiers fell, their sword was left as a head to mark their gravesite, probably as a symbol of their undying bravery here and in the afterlife.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Ive found yet another rumor that seems to agree a little with my first post. According to one site(which im afraid to say ive lost the URL to), the Izual story of D2 was actually going to be in the original Diablo. This seems to explain the strange glowing thing that happens toward the end of the intro. Im still looking for more info though
Azurewrath is the name of the sword, right? It was a party of the story.
Good news, I found more info. I got this off of a gamesurge essay:

Quote:Hidden Question -Shadowfang and Izual

[Image: sm_shadow.jpg]

The demon blade Shadowfang, was forced in the depths of hell, in the year -985. This cursed blade was a centre-point of demonic energies, and had the power to eternally corrupt and madden any mortal. Shadowfang was originally a massive sub quest planned for Diablo. This sub-quest involved a secret character named Tremayne the Priest, (which was removed from the game) and a powerful boss character named Fleshdoom. The quest storyline forced the hero to venture into Hellforge itself, in order to be rid of the demon blade. I believe that this quest was directly tied to another subplot, Izual the Fallen Angel. Izual and his Runeblade Azurewrath will be explained later. For now I will just say that both he and his powerful blade had a role in Diablo.

or it could be this:

Quote:Izual the Fallen Angel

[Image: sm_azure.jpg]

During an attack on Hellforge in the year -990, Izual and his Runeblade Azurewrath were captured. The Prime Evil, Mephisto then tortured Izual. Tragically Izual fell to the powers of darkness, and became a Fallen Angel. His mind was altered and he became a loyal servant to the three Prime Evils.
Izual was originally a character involved in Diablo. Both he and his mystic blade Azurewrath remain partially implemented in Diablo. Izual has his own .wav sound file, which you can listen to here. The graphic for his blade Azurewrath is shown on the left. Most likely as you ventured through hell in your efforts to be rid of Shadowfang, you would confront Izual. Assuming that you battled with Izual, the battle would have probably been the hardest in the entire game. More importantly: would Blizzard have let you kill off this character? I strongly believe that battling Izual was a run off quest from Shadowfang. And I also believe that you would have battled against Izual before you confronted Diablo.

Izual says "Hows much does it take before you lose your grace mortal, let me show you." This implies that you would have indeed battles Izual. The only other thing we know about this battle is that it would have taken place in Hell, because Izual has been situated in Hellforge since he fell to the forces of darkness. This would have been a very interesting sub quest. It is a shame that enemies of this caliber were never introduced in the finished game, and this definitely hampered Diablo's overall gameplay.

that's supporting my current theory still.
I always assumed the village in the demo was one that had faced the warth of Leoric's brutal executions, with the hangin bodies and all. I seem to like Master DS5's theories on the sword, though. An interestin read.

Hey, just wonderin.. I was lookin through Diablo's files with an MPQ editor, and I came across this wierd .wav, where your character says somethin like "I have found a monster that is far too powerful; any creature I throw in there in an attempt to kill it is slaughtered. Maybe I should find another way around..". Could this be Fleshdoom?
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))
Force,Apr 3 2006, 02:47 PM Wrote:Hey, just wonderin.. I was lookin through Diablo's files with an MPQ editor, and I came across this wierd .wav, where your character says somethin like "I have found a monster that is far too powerful; any creature I throw in there in an attempt to kill it is slaughtered. Maybe I should find another way around..". Could this be Fleshdoom?

I transcribed the unused wav files a little while back. You can find it here here. I was able to associate the wav files to the quests based on the number associated with the wav file.

-Lemmy
Whoa, I'm checkin that out. I wouldn't mind readin that, I've always been interested in the "left-out" bits of games, especially in this one. I love this place.
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))