Surviving in Hell
I got 6 mouths to feed (every class but necromancer) and I play legitly.
It seems in order to survive in Matron's Den or higher high levels you usually need Rune Words.

But getting high runes is so hard. Now granted I have started collecting runes from Ral and up and gems to try and build my own but I seem to be making only minor progress.
Countess runs seem to not often yeild good runes, once I got a Ko on hell mode though.

People on the chat areas also dont seem to willingly to part with low runes even for uniques or gems so its pretty rough going. THe only luck I've had in getting runes from people is being hired to do forge runs for people, I take a little collateral just in case up front. I get some Ral and Shael and sometimes Io. It helps. Anyone have any advice though? Cause I want my 6 characters to get Tough! And I'm making rune words.

Rob
I am not sure what you mean by that.

The really high runes are extremely rare. The mid-range ones do drop, either from Hellforge Quests or just playing the game.

There are plenty of useful rune words to be made from the mid-range ones, and the really high ones are unnecessary for success in the game, in my experience.

The best advice I can offer is that you read guides on what skill sets to use and what tactics to use, rather than fuss over unattainable items.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

well i just wanted to make chains of honor for my mage and maybe chaos claws for my assassin. I thought of also making Exile but I dont think I will now, I can just hunt down a HoZ. I wanted to get a second CoH to for my paladin or assassin but I think a high level unique armor might suffice. I was just looking for lots of runes so I could make stronger guys.

I thikn you just knocked some sense into me though. I think this way I'm thinking and i'll become obsessed with trying to build rune words every day- in a constant hunt.

I think the first unique elite armor listed on Arreat Summit site might even suffice for my sorceress, or a skill one.

I guess I was looking for a way to get runes faster but there really isnt much more I can do I think.

thanks Shadow!
TheKingofKewl,Feb 22 2006, 02:19 PM Wrote:well i just wanted to make chains of honor for my mage and maybe chaos claws for my assassin. I thought of also making Exile but I dont think I will now, I can just hunt down a HoZ. I wanted to get a second CoH to for my paladin or assassin but I think a high level unique armor might suffice. I was just looking for lots of runes so I could make stronger guys.

I thikn you just knocked some sense into me though. I think this way I'm thinking and i'll become obsessed with trying to build rune words every day- in a constant hunt.

I think the first unique elite armor listed on Arreat Summit site might even suffice for my sorceress, or a skill one.

I guess I was looking for a way to get runes faster but there really isnt much more I can do I think.

thanks Shadow!
[right][snapback]102695[/snapback][/right]

No class in D2 really needs armor to survive, except maybe for resists. For that you do not need expensive runewords.

Weapons are much more important and most classes can easily go with a unique, well except the Barb of course, and I do not know about Druids or Assasins.

-A

To echo what ShadowHM said, play your characters, not your equipment.

Look for guides that emphasize strategy and tactics to help you survive, rather than simply providing a shopping list of "necessary" uber-gear. AK404's Bowazon Guide is an example of how guides should be written, but rarely ever seem to be.

Peruse forums to find other bits of wisdom. There is a tremendous amount of collective knowledge out there; you just have to dig around for a while. Threads such as this one provide a wealth of insights.

For an example of what can be accomplished using strategy and tactics, rather than relying on equipment, check out this report on soloing Uber Tristram, in Hardcore, with only average gear.

Once you can comfortably tackle harder areas, you'll find that better gear just starts to drop naturally.

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
Grayloch,Feb 22 2006, 07:47 PM Wrote:To echo what ShadowHM said, play your characters, not your equipment.

Look for guides that emphasize strategy and tactics to help you survive, rather than simply providing a shopping list of "necessary" uber-gear. Once you can comfortably tackle harder areas, you'll find that better gear just starts to drop naturally.

-G.
[right][snapback]102711[/snapback][/right]

Yah, also dont disregard stuff like slow, holy freeze mercenaries, knockback(for missile weapon users), and items with good chances to cast curses; in most cases it can make a huge difference. Also, if youre a ladder player upgrade your unique weapons and maybe armor to elite(if you can still wear them!)! this should make a sizable difference for weapon users(most elite weapons seem to have something like 50% higher damage than the exceptional versions).