Multiplayer Question
Hi,

im sort of new to this...does diablo 2 LOD support playing over the internet? I dont mean battlenet by the way or LAN... im saying for example lets say 1 station is in the US and the olther is in Canada; can we play a 2 player game only?

thnx,
mas
swy000,Feb 20 2006, 10:24 PM Wrote:Hi,

im sort of new to this...does diablo 2 LOD support playing over the internet? I dont mean battlenet by the way or LAN... im saying for example lets say 1 station is in the US and the olther is in Canada; can we play a 2 player game only?

thnx,
mas

Not entirely certain what you are asking, it may help to clean up your post a bit to clarify. Regardless, I'll take a stab at it.

LAN (which by definition is a LOCAL area network) would obviously not be a good idea for a US-Canada game, since that's certainly not going to be 'local' ;).

If you are asking for a way to play a 2 player game over the distance, your best bet actually is battle.net. What is your reason for not wanting to use Battle.net?

There are two flavors of battle.net, Open Battle.net and Closed Battle.net - often referred to as Open Realm and Closed Realm as well.

Open Battle.net lets you play characters which are stored locally, on your own hard drive. The advantage of this is that Single Player characters can be used. The disadvantage is there Open Battle.net has rampant cheating as a result.

Closed Battle.net lets you play characters which are stored on Blizzard servers. The advantage of this is that both you and any other person with the password can log onto an account and play the characters from any location. Closed Battle.net has less cheating as a result of this, although duping, maphacking, and other cheating still exists.

Both Battle.net's are free services, and are generally reliable and quick.

I've really only scratched the surface in my post, and there are plenty of other Loungers here who can answer your question with more depth. But hopefully this helps steer you in the right direction, although if there is a reason you wish to steer completely away from battle.net play, I'd be happy to hear it :)

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Feb 20 2006, 10:07 PM Wrote:Not entirely certain what you are asking, it may help to clean up your post a bit to clarify.  Regardless, I'll take a stab at it.

LAN (which by definition is a LOCAL area network) would obviously not be a good idea for a US-Canada game, since that's certainly not going to be 'local' ;).
Loungers here who can answer your question with more depth.  But hopefully this helps steer you in the right direction, although if there is a reason you wish to steer completely away from battle.net play, I'd be happy to hear it :)

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]102496[/snapback][/right]

thank you for that elaboration..that sure cleared everything up... the reason (to be honest) why im asking this is cause my friend and i are on the same key and we were hoping to be able to play over a distance by simply putting in his ISP's IP where is says "Enter IP". Thats the only reason im trying not to go on Bnet. Other than that, i love bnet... :)

Sam
Yes, you can connect via TCP/IP, under the "Other Multiplayer" option on the main menu. One player's computer acts as the server, and everyone else links to them as if they were Bnet.

However, the Lurker Lounge is not a good place to bring up cracked versions of the game for any reason. (And the only way two people could be playing the with the same CD key at the same time is via a crack.)