Bryant Gumbel's Olympic spirit.
http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

There were some eye-opening remarks from Bryant Gumbel on the most recent episode of HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. According to a transcript posted by a television columnist named Seth Frelich, Gumbel said the following in his closing monologue last week (emphasis mine):

"Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."

Jimmy the Greek was fired 20 years ago for something much lighter. This story has been completely swept under the rug.

Surprising? Not really. We are too liberal in this country to actually voice our opinions unless they are the PC thought of the day, and we kiss too much minority a.s. I'm sure that most liberals here will not agree with this and will possibly even be upset by it. OTOH, the more conservative members of the LL (I believe the last count was 6 1/2 conservative members) already know this anyway, so I am not breaking new ground here, I know.

However I just wanted to give a nice example of the way things are today. Imagine Bob Costas saying that there are too many blacks in the Summer Olympics and that it looks like an NAACP convention.

Edit - I forgot to mention that his wife is white, heh.

-A
Ashock,Feb 18 2006, 12:09 AM Wrote:http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

There were some eye-opening remarks from Bryant Gumbel on the most recent episode of HBO's Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel. According to a transcript posted by a television columnist named Seth Frelich, Gumbel said the following in his closing monologue last week (emphasis mine):

"Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."

Jimmy the Greek was fired 20 years ago for something much lighter. This story has been completely swept under the rug.

Surprising? Not really. We are too liberal in this country to actually voice our opinions unless they are the PC thought of the day, and we kiss too much minority a.s. I'm sure that most liberals here will not agree with this and will possibly even be upset by it. OTOH, the more conservative members of the LL (I believe the last count was 6 1/2 conservative members) already know this anyway, so I am not breaking new ground here, I know.

However I just wanted to give a nice example of the way things are today. Imagine Bob Costas saying that there are too many blacks in the Summer Olympics and that it looks like an NAACP convention.

-A
[right][snapback]102324[/snapback][/right]

He's right though. The current olympics are a sham.

A bunch of whiny milksop cry babies who were raised their whole life being told that they were perfect, God's gift to the sport, blah blah blah, and if they are docked a point for an imperfection they bitch and piss and moan and file a protest. "WAAAAAAAH how dare you tell me I messed up somehow, my mommy who still breastfeeds me every night tells me I am perfect... WAAAAAAAAH!"

Or just as they are about to cross the bloody finish line, they hotdog a bit to show off, do a face plant and lipskid, and allow some Swede to swish past them for the gold.

And don't get me started on the environmentalist #$%&heads saying that the 200 foot tall Olympic flame is some sort of terrible crime against humanity. If I could, I would serve them a nice cup of STFU. Stuff a spear up their whiny pissy little ass and spit them over that flame like the namby pamby Nancy little marshmallows that they are. There are far more important environmental issues than raising a big stink about an overgrown BBQ burner.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ashock,Feb 18 2006, 05:09 AM Wrote:http://newsbusters.org/node/4057

-A

You're overreacting man. His show is on non-basic cable. The reason nobody's kicking up a fuss is because nobody knows or cares.

I was personally rather surprised at the number of blacks I saw at the winter olypics this time around, so I've got no problem believing that Gumbel's not watching.

I've got to agree about the problems with subjectivity though. Also the questionable "sport" nature of the games. Curling is a hypnotic watch, but it's really a great deal more of a "game" like billiards than a sport. Same with the new Snowboard cross; it more resembles motor-racing than sport.

Doc> I think you've been watching too much skating.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Quote:He's right though. The current olympics are a sham.

A bunch of whiny milksop cry babies who were raised their whole life being told that they were perfect, God's gift to the sport, blah blah blah, and if they are docked a point for an imperfection they bitch and piss and moan and file a protest. "WAAAAAAAH how dare you tell me I messed up somehow, my mommy who still breastfeeds me every night tells me I am perfect... WAAAAAAAAH!"

Or just as they are about to cross the bloody finish line, they hotdog a bit to show off, do a face plant and lipskid, and allow some Swede to swish past them for the gold.

Or, after losing four teeth, they're back on the ice 5 minutes later... The Olympics are more than figure skating. A tad hyperbolic, perhaps?

I agree, there are some "sports" that leave me shaking my head (although figure skating is not really one of them. Coddled or not, they are amazing athletes).

The snowboarding thing really was ridiculous.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:We are too liberal in this country to actually voice our opinions unless they are the PC thought of the day, and we kiss too much minority a.s. I'm sure that most liberals here will not agree with this and will possibly even be upset by it.

Just wanted to share. I'm about as liberal as lurkers get, and I think that Gumbel's comments are complete and utter crap. These aren't quality athletes because there aren't enough blacks? Sure, I can accept the fact that the dearth of blacks and other racial minorities on the ski hill DOES speak to the fact that certain kinds of people can better afford to pursue some of these more "equipment dependent" sports (it also speaks to the fact that there's not a hell of a lot of snow in the African and equatorial Asian/South American countries). I'm pretty sure that's not a reason to demean what these folks do, which is often incredible.

And, I hate to point it out again, but a lot of people do consider the hockey to be worth watching.
But whate'er I be,
With being nothing.
Chaerophon,Feb 18 2006, 04:18 AM Wrote:And, I hate to point it out again, but a lot of people do consider the hockey to be worth watching.
[right][snapback]102331[/snapback][/right]

Damn straight :wub:

Mr. Gumbel can kiss my ass. It's not the Winter Olympics fault that there aren't more blacks there. No one is trying to keep the black man down by not letting him play in the Winter Olympics. They aren't picked to compete; they have to qualify all on their own.

Quote:So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

Would it be okay for me to say that Track and Field athletes aren't the best in the world because there aren't enough white people participating?
Its not really the same.

Jimmy The Greek was fired because he focused on the unpleasanr subject of blacks being diferent than white because they were bread to be different - that leads to the even more unpleasant thought that if Blacks in genral are beeter athletes then maybe they are worse in genaral at whites in other areas.

Gumble on the other hand seemed to be making the point that these are the games where your wealth and where you grew up matter much more than your athletic prowess.

Gumble is right. Very little in the Winter Olympics is an true sport of athletes. Speed Skating, Cross Country Skiing and Hockey seems be real, but they are exceptions.
You guys both mised the point.

Unlike many of the sumer events where good athletes manage to find there way in regardless of back ground the winter olympics are are mostly activities that you only learn if you live in the far north or have a lot of money.

The fact that so few blacks are there is a sign of the limited pool these athletes come from.

There is something to be said of course for having events for common activities from Northern countries, but it often seems that in most cases the summer events have better athletes.
You certainly didn't see my sorry brown ass out ice skating when I was growing up. That was for the rich folk. Or the people up north.

The only time I like ice is when it is in my drink damnit. I aint dumb. I aint going to strap some blades on my feet and go out and risk breaking my neck. Hell, my ass already done got a crack in it... With my luck I would slip up, fall, and finish breaking what God saw fit to crack.

And ice skating rinks? Are you nuts? Hell with you if you think I am going to pay money to go inside and freeze my ass off. No way. I am sorry if people aint got the common sense God gave a doorknob, but when it's cold you go inside to get near the fire or the heater and get warm. I aint paying nobody a dime to go inside and freeze my knappy ass off... And I don't care if it is hot or cold outside. That's just stupid.

It's 30 something degrees outside right now. It's colder than a witch's tit. I've got hot coffee and a warm wood burning stove. You can keep your cold.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Feb 18 2006, 10:57 AM Wrote:You guys both mised the point.

Unlike many of the sumer events where good athletes manage to find there way in regardless of back ground the winter olympics are are mostly activities that you only learn if you live in the far north or have a lot of money.

The fact that so few blacks are there is a sign of the limited pool these athletes come from.

[right][snapback]102341[/snapback][/right]

Uhhhhhh...

Quote:Sure, I can accept the fact that the dearth of blacks and other racial minorities on the ski hill DOES speak to the fact that certain kinds of people can better afford to pursue some of these more "equipment dependent" sports (it also speaks to the fact that there's not a hell of a lot of snow in the African and equatorial Asian/South American countries).
But whate'er I be,
With being nothing.
Look at Deebees comments. I was answering him mainly I did the plural thing because he said he was agreeing with you. On closer inspection he really wasnt.
Ghostiger,Feb 18 2006, 07:47 PM Wrote:Look at Deebees comments. I was answering him mainly I did the plural thing because he said he was agreeing with you. On closer inspection he really wasnt.
[right][snapback]102353[/snapback][/right]

I was voicing my approval for the great game of hockey :)

There aren't very many black athletes competing in the Winter Olympics because overall few black athletes compete in sporting events that involve snow and ice.

My beef with Gumbel is this line
Quote:So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

He is suggesting that the athletes at these Winter Olympics are not great athletes because there are so few blacks there. Guess what Mr. Gumbel? These athletes are the greatest at their chosen sport, which is what the Olympics as a whole is a test of. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to watch it. But inserting some kind of racist overtones where none exist is wrong.

Oh, and this made me laugh.
Quote:So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness
So what's the racial breakdown in basketball? Do you think he might be implying that he prefers sports dominated by black people WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE?

I honestly think that Gumbel is ragging on the Winter Olympics because he's not a fan of any of the events. He's welcome to his opinion, but he should keep the racist crap out of it. It just isn't there.

That's my opinion, and I don't see how mine disagrees with yours. In fact, they agree more than they disagree in that we both acknowledge that not many blacks play winter sports.
Ashock,Feb 17 2006, 11:09 PM Wrote:http://newsbusters.org/node/4057
-A
Let's see: the Winter Olympics center on sports involving ice and snow, which are not universal environments. The Winter Olympics. The Jamaican Bobsled team was a neat novelty. I would expect people who grow up with a lot of access to skiing and ice skating to do well, statistically. R
So, do we talk about swimming next? Mr Gumbel? Where are you?

Bryant is deliberately race baiting in an attempt to draw attention to himself, as though a journalist were more important than the sport he covers. He is not the only journalist to have pulled that stunt, see Dan Rather, Sam Donaldson, Christiana Amanpour, and Geraldo for similar shennanigans. Can't a brother get in on the self important act too? I say Hell yes! Bring it, Mr Gumbel! While I am at it, I agree one hundred percent with his disdain for "the kiss and cry area."

His decision not to ridicule hockey may be due to his knowing too many hockey players from his sportscasting days. Some of those lads might kick his arse the next time they see him if he disses hockey. ANyone seen Grant FUhr lately? ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Oh! I thought you were giving your support to Women's Curling. The ancient games were really more a demonstration of the skills needed for military prowess. I think therefore true spirit of the Olympics of ancient days is Biathalon, although they should have fully automatic weapons and moving targets.

To be fair, these games should be called the Olympic Snow Games, and we should also have a series of Olympic Tropical Games based on equatorial sports. Bungy jumping, cliff diving, surfing, wind surfing, beach volleyball, base jumping, croquet, jai lai etc...

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Chaerophon,Feb 18 2006, 03:18 AM Wrote:Just wanted to share.  I'm about as liberal as lurkers get, and I think that Gumbel's comments are complete and utter crap.  These aren't quality athletes because there aren't enough blacks?  Sure, I can accept the fact that the dearth of blacks and other racial minorities on the ski hill DOES speak to the fact that certain kinds of people can better afford to pursue some of these more "equipment dependent" sports (it also speaks to the fact that there's not a hell of a lot of snow in the African and equatorial Asian/South American countries).  I'm pretty sure that's not a reason to demean what these folks do, which is often incredible.   

And, I hate to point it out again, but a lot of people do consider the hockey to be worth watching.
[right][snapback]102331[/snapback][/right]
I agree. Bryant hasn't heard of Janica Kostelic obviously. No silver spoon in her mouth. There are many Minnesotan's representing the US on the women's skiing team, and our highest hills are about 600 feet. The local hill most of the olympic bound people train on is about 300 feet high, and most of the equipment comes from sponsorship. Certainly many winter sports have a different accessibility than running a marathon, but most track and field has equipment and gymnasium costs.

My wife is an Ice Dancer, so I am bound by pain of death not to disparage "judged sports". But, why not include competitive judged events?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Occhidiangela,Feb 18 2006, 09:44 PM Wrote:His decision not to ridicule hockey may be due to his knowing too many hockey players from his sportscasting days.  Some of those lads might kick his arse the next time they see him if he disses hockey.  ANyone seen Grant FUhr lately?  ;) 
[right][snapback]102359[/snapback][/right]

Grant Fuhr is the goaltending coach for the Pheonix Coyotes, hired by Wayne Gretzky back in 2004.

A better example might be Jarome Iginla, currently competing for Canada at the Olympics. White mother, Nigerian father. His parents divorced when he was very young and was raised by his mom in Edmonton. He's won several awards during his NHL playing career; most notably the Art Ross Award in 2002 for winning the scoring title. This award has previously been dominated by the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, and Jagr. He is an elite athlete no matter how you define it. Jarome Iginla is one of the cornerstones of Canada's international hockey team, and will be for a long time to come. How do you suppose he feels about Gumbel's comments?

DeeBye,Feb 18 2006, 10:09 PM Wrote:He is an elite athlete no matter how you define it.  Jarome Iginla is one of the cornerstones of Canada's international hockey team, and will be for a long time to come.  How do you suppose he feels about Gumbel's comments?
[right][snapback]102365[/snapback][/right]
Probably the same way Shani Davis feels. He just won a gold medal in speedskating. No "kiss and cry" waiting booth in that sport. ;)

Or, they both ignore the blowhard and get on with it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Ghostiger,Feb 18 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:... but it often seems that in most cases the summer events have better athletes.
[right][snapback]102341[/snapback][/right]

How do you figure?

Is there a test of "athletics" that transcends the individual sports?

-Jester
Jester,Feb 19 2006, 10:53 PM Wrote:Is there a test of "athletics" that transcends the individual sports?
[right][snapback]102401[/snapback][/right]

How about either the decathlon or heptathlon? Those are both pretty good tests of pure all-around athletics. There is also the triathlon, the biathlon, nordic combined, etc. The problem with those is that the very best athletes in those particular sports are "jack of all trades" and don't really excel in any one particular aspect. The very best decathlete will never hold a candle to the best 100 metre sprinter in a race.

Your point is completely valid though. It's impossible to try to rank athletes that compete in different sports. Who was the better athlete, Wayne Gretzky or Micheal Jordan? The answer is of course Bo Jackson, but only if he had won a gold medal as a brakeman in the 2 man bobsleigh.

I kind of like the story of Clara Hughes. She won medals at both the Summer and Winter Olympics. Cycling and speed skating. That's a pretty good all-around athlete for you.
kandrathe,Feb 18 2006, 08:18 PM Wrote:My wife is an Ice Dancer, so I am bound by pain of death not to disparage "judged sports".  But, why not include competitive judged events?
[right][snapback]102363[/snapback][/right]

Umm, personally I do not view Ice Dancing as a sport. Skill - yes, sport - no. In fact many of the Ice Dancers are failed pairs skaters, including some of the top names from the past. Kick 'em off the Olympics, I say!

No offense though B)

-A