Video Card Issues?
I've been having some issues with my video card - a GeForce FX 5200. When playing (mostly with older) games, notably Diablo II and Heroes of Might and Magic IV, the screen goes black for a second or two, over and over again. It looks just like what the screen does when you launch a full screen game, where it has to adjust your video settings -- but it does it during the game. And it happens over and over and over. Turn based games like Heroes are playable but frustrating. Real time games are all but unplayable.

I was noticing these issues starting a few weeks back, just before I did a complete system restore (unrelated issue). But if anything, it's been getting worse since the restore. So I don't believe that it's a software issue. I've updated my display drivers and my video card drivers, but it hasn't helped.

Does this sound like an issue that could be caused by a dying graphics card? My card gives me no troubles with 'normal' operation or some of my newer games. It seems to be only with the older titles.

I ask because I wouldn't mind upgrading my graphics card anyways, but if I don't need to I'd prefer to wait. However, if a new card will fix this issue, then I'll probably head out and pick one up.

EDIT: re-re-updated my video card drivers and the problem has *mostly* gone away. Still annoying, but less so.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Hi,

Go into Device Manager & Uninstall your VC, Boot then put new drivers in. :wub:

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Like Jim said, always UNINSTALL drivers before putting new ones in.

Also, check the cooling. Download a utility that will monitor the temperature of your GPU (nVidia should have this built into their drivers, IIRC), and check it out. What you describe could be overheating, or damage from overheating. It could also be poor drivers, or even just a defective card. Hard to say really.

Unfortunately, just about all tech support is is a process of elimination.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Feb 18 2006, 04:20 PM Wrote:Like Jim said, always UNINSTALL drivers before putting new ones in.

Also, check the cooling. Download a utility that will monitor the temperature of your GPU (nVidia should have this built into their drivers, IIRC), and check it out. What you describe could be overheating, or damage from overheating. It could also be poor drivers, or even just a defective card. Hard to say really.

Unfortunately, just about all tech support is is a process of elimination.
[right][snapback]102345[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the advice. Uninstalling and reinstalling has helped, although it's still not perfect. It looks like my card is slowly dying, but at the very least I've managed to squeaze a little more time out of the deal. Now I just have to see if that lasts long enough to convince me to upgrade my entire system or just the card. I'll just keep my eyes open and look for a really good deal.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Feb 18 2006, 03:02 AM Wrote:I've been having some issues with my video card - a GeForce FX 5200.
[right][snapback]102319[/snapback][/right]
*Stops reading right there*

*Eyes his removed FX 5200 that's sitting on the table beside him*

*Hugs his new 256mb 6600GT*

It's fair to say that the FX5200 has... issues. By that, I mean it's a good holdover card for as long as it takes for you to locate a better one and then burn the 5200 at a sacrificial altar to appease your god. It's the sort of card I can imagine being covergifts on cheap PC magazines. I've also witnessed people scream like sissies and leap out of a seventh-floor window at a single mention of the 5200*.

Anyway, I'm not loving the latest nVidia drivers. There seems to be a problem where the mouse pointer no longer tracks the mouse's actual position when installing stuff, and it's annoying the hell out of me.

* Probably
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386