Well well well. Many of you are pirates now.
Ripping your own CDs to your iPod is now against the law.

So all those people that condemn piracy, and all those people that took pot shots at me for my stance on piracy, be good little drones and go erase your mp3s. Clear your iPods and your music player. And your computer hard drive of all your precious music files.

And for everybody that supports a little piracy here and there, keep on rockin in the free world.

Apparently, we no longer own something we paid for. We just paid out all that money to borrow it for a while. Or something. But clearly it is not ours to do as we please with.

Pricks.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 16 2006, 08:32 AM Wrote:Ripping your own CDs to your iPod is now against the law.

So all those people that condemn piracy, and all those people that took pot shots at me for my stance on piracy, be good little drones and go erase your mp3s. Clear your iPods and your music player. And your computer hard drive of all your precious music files.

And for everybody that supports a little piracy here and there, keep on rockin in the free world.

Apparently, we no longer own something we paid for. We just paid out all that money to borrow it for a while. Or something. But clearly it is not ours to do as we please with.

Pricks.
[right][snapback]102176[/snapback][/right]
That is a filing, not a ruling. I agree the legal battle to record music for personal use needs to be re engaged, just as the tape from an album needed to be fought, and the VHS battle. Remember those guys who represented BNETD? Send them donations, so they can take the battle to the courts.

Thanks for your "sky is falling" approach. To respond in kind, with hyperbole, I will suggest you go steal some more music somewhere, load all your guns, stock up on canned food and bottled water, barricade your doors, and wait for the Feds to come and get you. The ATF -- Audio Task Force -- will doubtless be pounding down your door, and will turn your house into the South Carolina version of Koresh martyrdom. By the way, you better turn off your computer, they are watching you!!!!

The Branch Doctorian Compound will become part of Whacko lore, to go along with WACO lore.

/hyperbole

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Write down my IP cause I'm going on a downloading spree just to spite them.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Occhidiangela,Feb 16 2006, 10:07 AM Wrote:load all your guns, stock up on canned food and bottled water, barricade your doors, and wait for the Feds to come and get you. 
Occhi
[right][snapback]102177[/snapback][/right]

I am well ahead of you on this issue. I do not like the way things are going. I have bunkers made from concrete culverts. Tons of rations. Water. Filtration systems. I have buried a couple of old reinforced school busses with supplies.

And I have enough guns and ammo as well as a heavily fortified position to survive for a good long time.

I am ready for the worst. Zombies, Jehova's Witnesses coming to the door, Avon ladies, anything. Bring it on. :w00t:
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 16 2006, 09:24 AM Wrote:I am ready for the worst. Zombies, Jehova's Witnesses coming to the door, Avon ladies, anything. Bring it on.  :w00t:
[right][snapback]102179[/snapback][/right]
You have a round that can penetrate that many layers of make up? I didn't think they still sold Teflon™ bullets! :blink:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 16 2006, 10:26 AM Wrote:You have a round that can penetrate that many layers of make up?  I didn't think they still sold Teflon™ bullets!  :blink:

Occhi
[right][snapback]102180[/snapback][/right]

Bullets?

You use flamethrowers on those.

Ahem.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Music "piracey" is good and wholesome. The RIAA is money stealing whore of an association that subverts our congress to its own ends(along with oil and drug companies.)
Ghostiger,Feb 16 2006, 11:09 AM Wrote:Music "piracey" is good and wholesome. The RIAA is money stealing whore of an association that subverts our congress to its own ends(along with oil and drug companies.)
[right][snapback]102185[/snapback][/right]

Sir, that is a socially redeeming statement. I forgive you for your past trolling.

Very well put.

Carry on.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
The RIAA is trying to become that 800 pound gorilla that thinks it can push anyone around. I think it has a bit of a Napoleon complex and needs to be taken down a few pegs.

At this stage of the game remember the Courts are still the ruling body, not RIAA. RIAA is a bunch of monkeys with breifcases.

I wonder, does this mean the music folks download onto a PC from services like iTunes can't be copied onto a music player either? Or is it only when you change the format?

Perhaps all the companies that make portable players and their customers need to band together and put RIAA back in it's place.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Feb 16 2006, 11:29 AM Wrote:At this stage of the game remember the Courts are still the ruling body, not RIAA.  RIAA is a bunch of monkeys with breifcases.

[right][snapback]102189[/snapback][/right]

Bovine excrement!!!

The Golden Rule applies here. He who has the gold makes the rules. The RIAA is no exception. They have all kinds of elected officials in their pockets, as well as the courts. They have changed more laws to their favour than I can count. Everything is for sale in this country. Everything. Money, blackmail, bribery, it's all fair play.

If they want something bad enough, they just pull the right strings to get it. The courts are a mockery.

Bah humbug.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
jahcs,Feb 16 2006, 12:29 PM Wrote:I wonder, does this mean the music folks download onto a PC from services like iTunes can't be copied onto a music player either?  Or is it only when you change the format?

Perhaps all the companies that make portable players and their customers need to band together and put RIAA back in it's place.
[right][snapback]102189[/snapback][/right]
I believe it was concerning format shifting. Upon reading the filing, one of the things they specifically mentioned was that since the mp3s are available in that format to be purchased using the copyright for that purchase, format shifting from CD to mp3 isn't fair use.
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
As an act of defiance, I just ripped the tags off of my matresses.

<_< :angry: :blink:
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 16 2006, 09:32 AM Wrote:Apparently, we no longer own something we paid for. We just paid out all that money to borrow it for a while. Or something. But clearly it is not ours to do as we please with. [right][snapback]102176[/snapback][/right]

Yet another opportunity to point out how Illegal =/= Wrong.

I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over having Dido's 'Torn' or the soundtrack to 'Last of the Mohicans' on my Xbox. It's more convenient than having to pull the CDs out every time I want to listen to them.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Feb 16 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:Yet another opportunity to point out how Illegal =/= Wrong.

I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over having Dido's 'Torn' or the soundtrack to 'Last of the Mohicans' on my Xbox.&nbsp; It's more convenient than having to pull the CDs out every time I want to listen to them.
[right][snapback]102201[/snapback][/right]
They shoulda stuck with vinyl.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Feb 16 2006, 09:24 AM Wrote:I am ready for the worst. Zombies, Jehova's Witnesses coming to the door, Avon ladies, anything. Bring it on.&nbsp; :w00t:
[right][snapback]102179[/snapback][/right]
But, are you ready for the worst of them all - Girl Scouts with cookies?! I've seen reports that a whispered "We have cookies" will penetrate 3 feet of solid lead!

Doc,Feb 16 2006, 12:16 PM Wrote:As an act of defiance, I just ripped the tags off of my mattresses.

<_<&nbsp; :angry:&nbsp; :blink:
[right][snapback]102196[/snapback][/right]
Real life anecdote time: One day my grandpa was working in the shop on one of his woodworking projects. Grandma came up to him, obviously upset, with tears in her eyes. She held something white out to him and said, "I didn't mean to...". She had torn the tag off while turning the mattress. She was a wonderful old world grandma that wouldn't hurt a fly and took everyone and everything at their word and she believed she really was in trouble. :(
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Doc,Feb 16 2006, 08:34 AM Wrote:If they want something bad enough, they just pull the right strings to get it. The courts are a mockery.

Bah humbug.
[right][snapback]102190[/snapback][/right]

If enough folks stand up and make their voices heard things can change. That time is now, before this progresses any further. If elected officials fear for their reelection all sorts of things can get done.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I maintain no sympathy for record companies that fund the RIAA and then post losses.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24