What is the one power riff you can never forget?
I was having this conversation with somebody I know, and we started talking about rock and roll power riffs.

Long story short, we had a heated debate on who has one of the most memorable and catchy power riffs in music?

For me, the most distinctive riff I can think of after a lot of thought is Baracuda by Heart. The opening riff instantly brings to mind fluffy mullets, rusted out Camaros, and Chester the Molester mustaches from the golden age of rock. It is completely ingrained in my mellon. No other riff I can think of does this.

Any other opinions? Come on, wrap your mellon around some of those cheesy rock riff memories and help an old fella out. I want to see how many embarassing memories we can all recall.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
"Aaaaaaallll aboard!"

Crazy Train by Ozzy. The first thing that any budding 14-year-old "guitarist" masters and has to play at every chance in every music store till someone kicks his ass.
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Gurnsey,Feb 14 2006, 11:41 AM Wrote:The first thing that any budding 14-year-old "guitarist" masters and has to play at every chance in every music store till someone kicks his ass.
[right][snapback]101977[/snapback][/right]

What is "Stairway to Heaven"?

You mean this isn't Hard Rock Jeopardy?
Gurnsey,Feb 14 2006, 11:41 AM Wrote:"Aaaaaaallll aboard!"

Crazy Train by Ozzy.  The first thing that any budding 14-year-old "guitarist" masters and has to play at every chance in every music store till someone kicks his ass.
[right][snapback]101977[/snapback][/right]

There is a special place in hell for all those "guitarists."

That, and Stairway to Heaven.

**Shudder**
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 09:46 AM Wrote:There is a special place in hell for all those "guitarists."

That, and Stairway to Heaven.

**Shudder**
[right][snapback]101980[/snapback][/right]
Oooh oooh, add Iron Man to that.
I may not be old, but I love the riffs in Boston's "More Than a Feeling." I find myself playing air guitar every time I hear it. In fact, I was listening to it as I wrote this reply.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Feb 14 2006, 11:48 AM Wrote:I may not be old, but I love the riffs in Boston's "More Than a Feeling." I find myself playing air guitar every time I hear it. In fact, I was listening to it as I wrote this reply.
[right][snapback]101982[/snapback][/right]

Sicko.

No.

No.

NO.

NO!

Aw crap. Stuck in my head.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
pakman,Feb 14 2006, 09:48 AM Wrote:I may not be old, but I love the riffs in Boston's "More Than a Feeling." I find myself playing air guitar every time I hear it. In fact, I was listening to it as I wrote this reply.
[right][snapback]101982[/snapback][/right]
Ooga chucka ooga ooga ooga chucka...

Oh wait, wrong "Feeling" song. Now THAT's stuck in my head.

Fabulous.
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 10:37 AM Wrote:I was having this conversation with somebody I know, and we started talking about rock and roll power riffs.

Long story short, we had a heated debate on who has one of the most memorable and catchy power riffs in music?

For me, the most distinctive riff I can think of after a lot of thought is Baracuda by Heart. The opening riff instantly brings to mind fluffy mullets, rusted out Camaros, and Chester the Molester mustaches from the golden age of rock. It is completely ingrained in my mellon. No other riff I can think of does this.

Any other opinions? Come on, wrap your mellon around some of those cheesy rock riff memories and help an old fella out. I want to see how many embarassing memories we can all recall.
[right][snapback]101976[/snapback][/right]
Cream

White Room

Occhi wins the Thread.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 14 2006, 10:58 AM Wrote:Cream

White Room

Or the opening to Purple Hays, Hendrix. 

Can't decide which.

Occhi wins the Thread.

Occhi
[right][snapback]101988[/snapback][/right]
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 14 2006, 11:58 AM Wrote:Cream

White Room

Occhi wins the Thread.

Occhi
[right][snapback]101988[/snapback][/right]
Good. Very Good.

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
4th of July lighting off bottle rockets between cars at the park by the lake and trying not to get busted by the cops.

I was made for lovin you - Kiss
Halloween, trying to get the makeup just like Peter and hopin the girls would freak on you.

Crosstown Traffic or Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Ummm... Partaking of a certain herb in a resort near the Canadian border after spending the day snowmobiling.

Takin Care of Business - BTO Attending the $3 Beer kegger concert in a secluded farm field with music provided by a local favorite garage band, who also did a mean cover of Stairway to Heaven.

That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Acting Class, we were assigned to Act out a song. :)

Crossfire - Steve Ray Vaughan - Floating down the Apple River in an inner tube some summer.

There are too many to choose... :)

Edit: Ok, my cheesy memories added for effect. My older sister was truly cool and connected to the lifestyle I aspired to at age 17. Think 8 tracks, silk shirts, bell bottoms, 70's hair, 71 Olds 442, hyper kinetic skinny white boy "Playa" wanna-be.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Guns 'N' Roses: Sweet Child of Mine

Jimi Hendrix: Purple Haze
I see the songs being listed.

What about the memories that go with them?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 09:13 PM Wrote:I see the songs being listed.

What about the memories that go with them?
[right][snapback]102057[/snapback][/right]
In my case, too many to list. Not to mention some being to beset by a cloudy memory of hazy Grain Alcohol induced fog to bring forth a coherent memory.

The Hand of Fate: Rolling Stones. I was smashed on Old Milwaukee in the storeroom of where I worked when I first heard that tune on 100.1 WWDC FM.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
This is probably stretching the definition of "power riff", but for my money nothing is better than the heavy guitar of Soundgarden. The loud, low-tuned, rythmic pumping of the over-distorted guitar in Jesus Christ Pose is absolutely perfect.

For pure metal power riff, I'll go with No More Tears. Ozzy really does have the best stuff.

edit: great, now I have to go out and buy a "best of" Ozzy CD tomorrow :angry:
The opening to "DQ Blizzard" by mc chris makes me recall of a time when I made this goofy-ass flash movie for an agrucultural radio station in High School.

Mine didn't get picked.

The opening hook of Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills" always makes me play some sort of air-instrument. I remember singing the chorus one day in my Mythology class, and my professor recognized it to my utter surprise. And every time I see "Mother's Maiden Name:" on a form, I always fill it out "Iron".
----
"To be is to do - Socrates. To do is to be - Jean-Paul Sartre. Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra." - Kurt Vonnegut
ummm . . .

kansas - wayward son
[Image: hlinready02gt1.gif]
<span style="color:tan">h j u k i<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
<span style="color:goldenrod">amazon basin member
the amazon basin
<span style="color:green">___________________________
Emperor - I am the Black Wizards

Nothing beats the opening riff. The best black metal song ever, hell one of the best metal songs ever.