Disney purchase Marvel Comics for $4-bil
Link.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

Quote:Link.
So?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:So?

When Disney bought ABC, they changed the studio to a much more family oriented station. Movies that Disney makes are almost always G-PG. Marvel has comics and movies between PG-13 to R. If Disney asserts it's influence, as I have no doubt it will, expect Marvel to get campy and cute. Also, it will be very interesting to see some Marvel tie-ins in the Disneyland theme park.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I hope that they keep their mickey mouse ears off my damn comic books.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:If Disney asserts it's influence, as I have no doubt it will, expect Marvel to get campy and cute.
Because they would really like to alienate their core audience, compete with their other product lines, and be the subject of endless derision and mockery?

I am reminded of this. There's a reason it's satirical.

-Jester
You want to start a war? Bring this topic up on the Champions Online forums, it's pretty damn /popcorn-y. :D

~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
I'm all for Pixar doing a superhero movie.
Quote:When Disney bought ABC, they changed the studio to a much more family oriented station. Movies that Disney makes are almost always G-PG. Marvel has comics and movies between PG-13 to R. If Disney asserts it's influence, as I have no doubt it will, expect Marvel to get campy and cute. Also, it will be very interesting to see some Marvel tie-ins in the Disneyland theme park.

Hmm, yeah there's a good case to be wary. Diznee did have examples where they created something not in the usual 'Disney' mold. Some of it is IMO, actually interesting. eg:
Fantasia 1&2.
Gargoyles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyles_(TV_series)

And hey, there's a small reason to be somewhat optimistic if diznee can pick John Lasseter to head up the animation department. (Disclosure: I'm a Lasseter fan, I think the guy really gets it. It's about the story and characters, no amount of computerized 3D whizbangery will polish a poor story no matter how technomagical.)
http://animatedfilms.suite101.com/article...._disney_sequels

Though I have apprehensions considering diznee also has a meddling streak. Whether or not that was due to Eisner's time of reign, or a mutated internal corporate culture, or a hybrid creating a hideous entity I call Eisney. The Disney-Miramax deal is probably a good example of a corporate marriage turned sour.

Having said all that, there are advantages that only an 800 lbs gorilla can provide.

Like when WB acquired DC. If DC wasn't bought and turned into a subsidiary of Warner Bros., it wouldn't set off a chain of events that led to IMO, one of if not -the- finest rendition of DC superheroes ever put on screen.
http://jl.toonzone.net/

So if this deal can produce the Marvel equivalent of the DC-Animated Universe, I'm more than OK with that.

If all this means is that Spiderman will appear in the next Jonas Montana movie ride that's now a movie, based on the ride, (that's also now a new ride based on the movie!) I'll watch something else.

ps. Thanks for that link Jester.
This is a recipe for disaster. Disney has ruined pretty much everything it's touched over the past two decades.
Quote:I hope that they keep their mickey mouse ears off my damn comic books.

But that would be so cool. I could see Wolverine with the mouse ears on the Mickey Mouse club singing along in black-and-white.

Or maybe Winnie the Pooh could join the X Men with Piglet. :blink:
Terenas Characters:
Hinome
Draelozia
Rogherr
Now Kingdom Hearts 3 can have Wolverine in it.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:--snip--
Also, it will be very interesting to see some Marvel tie-ins in the Disneyland theme park.

Keep in mind that Marvel already has a liscencing agreement for theme park appearances of their characters (see Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure) so the mouse will have to look into contract law to pull that off. Though come to think of it, Disney may already have a hand in one of the pockets of Universal theme parks.

It seems more to me that mickey and co. are looking at Marvel as a funnel for dollars that had been escaping them. When it stops being cool to have a donald duck backpack and starts being cool to have a wolverine backpack, kids grew out of the disney brand family, unless they got hooked on a pixar property. With the acquisition of super hero central, the creation of a life long customer comes one step closer to cemented. They've got the young kids, so they have the parents of young kids, they grabbed at the *gulp* tween girls with Irene Idaho, and now they're going after the 10-15 yr old boys who are quick to shed anything that doesn't seem tough and gritty, and the 14-24 yr old young men who go to see super hero movies with a practiced nonchalance that they hope hides their squishy fanboy center.

The next step will be finding some way to get their financial hooks into the mid 20s to mid 30s no kids, non-comic reading demographic. Look for Disney sponsored sports events coming soon.

What I'm personally looking forward to are the wolverine pancakes, and I don't mean the easy ones with a sort of V shaped crease at the top and wing like extensions. I want to see a wolverine-during-the-adamantium-extrusion-by-magneto pancake. That would be a culinary accomplishment.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:... and the 14-24 yr old young men who go to see super hero movies with a practiced nonchalance that they hope hides their squishy fanboy center.

Stop. Peeking. INTO MY BASEMENT!!!1111

Quote:Stop. Peeking. INTO MY BASEMENT!!!1111

I used to see the same thing when I looked into the mirror, but it had to change when my wife and I had kids (the nonchalance has passed, now I have a bitter, resentful exterior that belies my imature childish center).

And by the way, the couch would fit better on the other side, and you should probably move that box on the other side: the bottom looks a bit squiddgy, and if you leave it there much longer it may end up in more than one piece.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:Or maybe Winnie the Pooh could join the X Men with Piglet. :blink:
I am reminded.

-Jester
Quote:I am reminded.

-Jester
Meanwhile I can't hear Winnie the Pooh without thinking of Red Dwarf.