Good marketing or just really stupid?
Roland,Feb 12 2006, 11:56 PM Wrote:Windows 2000 pre-dated XP by a long shot, and is a much better OS than Windows XP, IMHO.

Besides, Windows 2000 has better administrative jurisdiction built into it than XP. XP is a terrible replacement for 2k Pro as a business desktop. I can't believe they even tried to pass it off as such, except this IS Microsoft, and they know that what rules the home rules the business.

I swore once that I would never buy XP, and that I would have to swear off Microsoft. I forget now just why I switched from 2k to XP (oh, wait, no I don't - I screwed up my registry by overclocking testing, lost my bootleg copy of Windows 2000 Professional, and was forced to actually buy a copy of an OS :P), but I didn't do it willingly. Vista, I can almost promise, I will not buy. I just hope Linux catches up enough in terms of gaming support that I don't have to ever buy Vista just to play video games on my rig.
[right][snapback]101881[/snapback][/right]

I really shouldn't be saying much of anything at this point, but having to have Windows to play games is about to be a moot point.

Soon, I am not sure when exactly, but soon, as in a year or two, Apple will be unleashing something from it's skunkworks that is going to wow the world. Full speed native Windows emulation, made possible by the move to Intel. It will be a bit like WINE or many other Linux emus that run windows, only Apple will do their magic to it and well, do what Apple does best when they spit and polish something. I, er. well, through means I can not and will not discuss have already seen some sneak previews of what is to come. It is open sourced, runs at native speed, and will not require that you actually buy a copy of Windows OS to run Windows apps. There may be some compatibility issues and kinks in the first few releases, maybe some Direct X issues or something. But those will be hammered and ironed out in time. Of this I have no doubt. The stakes are to high. What this means is, the Mac will be able to run Mac OS and Windows. And by switching out the window manager and using a little voodoo, you will be able to drop in to a Linux environment with out rebooting for mission critical work.

Mac for productivity, Windows for games, Linux for the hardcore stuff that demands it. All in one box.

Nice eh?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
As long as Apple keeps pricing its hardware as long as its made of gold, and as if the consumer shouldn't get to pick and choose what goes in it...

Oh, right. That was last year's bit. This year, it's "As long as they pretend that PC users do dull, boring things, on dull, boring boxes", I see no reason to even consider OS X. At least Micro$oft insults its users in more subtle ways.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Doc,Feb 10 2006, 07:22 PM Wrote:A couple of beta tester types I know say that Vista doesn't even become stable or speedy till it has about 1.5 to 2 gigs of memory all to its self. And that is just for the system alone...
[right][snapback]101750[/snapback][/right]

Don't worry. After the BS I've put up with from my latest machine with XPsp2 This is the last time I will ever install a Microsoft O.S.

LInux looks to be the O.S. of choice. Just need to see what the latest is on the DirectX support.
[vL]Kp,Feb 12 2006, Wrote:Even sillier, "My Documents" is a child of "Desktop" in the virtual namespace, but a sibling of "Desktop" in the real filesystem (and the hard disk on which Desktop resides is itself a grandchild of Desktop)!
[right][snapback]101837[/snapback][/right]
Shouldn't they be arrested for incest? :P
Wyrm,Feb 12 2006, 08:42 PM Wrote:I only find that humorous because docume~1 is the DOS shortened version of "documents and settings."
[right][snapback]101846[/snapback][/right]
Not only that, but it isn't 100% guaranteed to link to that directory (although it would be rather unusual for it not to) (Note: You can delete the directory, create a new directory called "documeXYZ" and then recreate documents and settings folder, and it will be "docume~2")
Ghostiger,Feb 13 2006, 10:57 AM Wrote:XP is the first Window that really works. It rarely crashes. It doesnt slow down over time.
[right][snapback]101861[/snapback][/right]
Unfortunately my experience has been the opposite, but then, my occupation is in I.T.

For me, windows 98 was the best performing M$ OS for home use, and win NT was (and still is) the best performing M$ O.S. for business use. Note that we'd still only consider using win NT for clientside apps, the serverside apps would use unixnux or something stable unless the customer has some sort of death wish to use an M$ O.S.)
(Note: My business bias is in govt and banking apps.)
whyBish,Feb 13 2006, 01:51 AM Wrote:Unfortunately my experience has been the opposite, but then, my occupation is in I.T.

For me, windows 98 was the best performing M$ OS for home use, and win NT was (and still is) the best performing M$ O.S. for business use.  Note that we'd still only consider using win NT for clientside apps, the serverside apps would use unixnux or something stable unless the customer has some sort of death wish to use an M$ O.S.)
(Note:  My business bias is in govt and banking apps.)
[right][snapback]101889[/snapback][/right]

My bank (branch location) just switched over to Mac Minis running OSX for all teller terminals. I asked why, and, after going up the chain of command, it was the most secure and robust solution that they could buy. Previous rigs had been Dells running some flavour of Windows, customised for business.

System was put in around New Years, not one single crash since it was installed.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
SwissMercenary,Feb 13 2006, 12:53 AM Wrote:As long as Apple keeps pricing its hardware as long as its made of gold, and as if the consumer shouldn't get to pick and choose what goes in it...

Oh, right. That was last year's bit. This year, it's "As long as they pretend that PC users do dull, boring things, on dull, boring boxes", I see no reason to even consider OS X. At least Micro$oft insults its users in more subtle ways.
[right][snapback]101883[/snapback][/right]

Thank you. Apple will NEVER win me over until they get off their imaginary high-horse.

Apple is too snobbish for me to ever consider buying one of their products. Besides, I prefer to build my own boxes. Apple won't allow me to do that, so to hell with them.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Doc,Feb 13 2006, 08:00 PM Wrote:My bank (branch location) just switched over to Mac Minis running OSX for all teller terminals. I asked why, and, after going up the chain of command, it was the most secure and robust solution that they could buy. Previous rigs had been Dells running some flavour of Windows, customised for business.

System was put in around New Years, not one single crash since it was installed.
[right][snapback]101892[/snapback][/right]

What you're talking about is the clientside app.

Ask them what their server OS is(/are).
whyBish,Feb 13 2006, 11:15 PM Wrote:What you're talking about is the clientside app.

Ask them what their server OS is(/are).
[right][snapback]101942[/snapback][/right]

OSX server too. Running off of an Xserve G5. Those things are bulletproof. Say what you will about how snobby Apple is... This server is smoking.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 14 2006, 04:32 AM Wrote:This server is smoking.
[right][snapback]101943[/snapback][/right]
Better clean or replace the fans.

Or get some watercooling in ;)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Feb 14 2006, 10:28 AM Wrote:Better clean or replace the fans.

Or get some watercooling in ;)
[right][snapback]102001[/snapback][/right]
Little known fact: electronic devices run on smoke. If you see your computer's vital supply of smoke leak out of the case, then the thing can't run anymore.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Feb 14 2006, 10:32 AM Wrote:Little known fact: electronic devices run on smoke. If you see your computer's vital supply of smoke leak out of the case, then the thing can't run anymore.
[right][snapback]102003[/snapback][/right]

And in most cases it's darn near impossible to put the smoke back in. ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein