The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
*quick snopes check*

*quick wikipedia check*

Wow. Very wow.

It's like some kind of paully shore movie.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Doc,Feb 8 2006, 10:04 AM Wrote:Clickity.
And their elected officials.
:blink:
[right][snapback]101581[/snapback][/right]
How droll, NORML is alive and kicking in the NZ Green Party? What's wrong with the Red party, as in the Panama Red party? :lol:

Panama Red
Panama Red
On his wild horse Mescalito . . .
(New Riders of the Purple Sage flashback, sorry)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, what is wrong with a pot smoking Rastafarian being elected as a public servant? I think it's a good thing. He seems to be doing a damn fine job.

It shows people, at least SOME people in some parts of the world are a little more open minded.

Restores my faith in human kind.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 8 2006, 12:27 PM Wrote:Well, what is wrong with a pot smoking Rastafarian being elected as a public servant? I think it's a good thing. He seems to be doing a damn fine job.

It shows people, at least SOME people in some parts of the world are a little more open minded.

Restores my faith in human kind.
[right][snapback]101599[/snapback][/right]
Being "open minded" is sometimes a euphamism for being indecisive. And sometimes it is not, but is rather a descriptive that describes someone as being able to learn, assimilate new information, and adapt.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 8 2006, 03:31 PM Wrote:Being "open minded" is sometimes a euphamism for being indecisive.  And sometimes it is not, but is rather a descriptive that describes someone as being able to learn, assimilate new information, and adapt.

Occhi
[right][snapback]101604[/snapback][/right]

I've been reading about him a good bit.

He's getting his job done, he actually acts like a public servant instead of some armchair dictator, and he likes to go out on the street and actually meet the people he serves.

I am honestly impressed.

He has been getting fantastic results and actually making changes, paving the way for future changes.

Makes me realise what is wrong with this government. It needs to be cleaned out, the old guard flushed, and new heads to fill the old chairs. Somebody, anybody, bright, young, and idealistic. How can some 70 year old goof possibly have his finger on the issues that are really important today?

I dunno man, all this has me thinking.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Feb 8 2006, 08:38 PM Wrote:How can some 70 year old goof possibly have his finger on the issues that are really important today?
[right][snapback]101605[/snapback][/right]

To a degree, I take issue witht he agism in that sentiment (having known a lot of old people a lot more on top of things than all their juniors), but I do agree that complacency in the government is a growing problem in the US.
Great truths are worth repeating:

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
GenericKen,Feb 8 2006, 05:00 PM Wrote:To a degree, I take issue witht he agism in that sentiment (having known a lot of old people a lot more on top of things than all their juniors), but I do agree that complacency in the government is a growing problem in the US.
[right][snapback]101614[/snapback][/right]
Not just in the US, and I think the problem is tunnel vision and group think. Complacent people don't get into office.

As to unelected folk, Rummy may be old, for example, but he has as sharp a policy mind as is available. Disagree with him (as I do) on any number of topics, but let's not assert that being put out to pasture for all people past XX years is best use of brain power available.

Cheney is, IMO, past his sell by date, but not due to lack of wit. It is due to his world view having calcified a decade ago. It is a risk I take, as I age, the risk of my mind locking in too firmly in certain thinking patterns.

Occhi

PS: WJ Clinton and GW Bush were both much younger than Reagan while in the White House, and neither can hold his jock as president.
In Memory of Pete
Well, it's like the your Senator wants an iPod thing... For somebody that age, how do you make it clear to them that what they have is not a glorified transistor radio? How do they manage all of the various laws concerning technology when most of them probably couldn't get the numbers on their VCRs to stop blinking, and most of them lived in the technological hayday of reel to reel or 8 track tapes?

I am rather unique for my age, transitioning so well with the times... But that is slipping I fear. Really. I can feel it. I don't care if something has a blistering fast 40mhz 030 moto CPU and a black terminator. I don't care that something has, well, whatever underneath the hood. I just want it to get my email and browse the web AND NOT CRASH. As I get older, I am finding I care less and less about these things.

I find it comforting that somebody, somewhere, would vote somebody young and firmly rooted in counter culture in to office.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Doc,Feb 9 2006, 12:59 PM Wrote:[right][snapback]101618[/snapback][/right]

While the Green party was part of government last term(well, technically it wasn't part of the government, but provided support in exchange for policy concessions), it has been shafted in preference of parties to the centre-right in the current term.

In the last election Nandor didn't actually get elected to office. He missed out on his seat from the party vote (by one). It wasn't until Rod Donald, the green party co-leader died ( a few months ago) that he got in as a replacement.

But I did say that you'd like it over here, didn't I? :)

Another impressive politician is our current prime minister Helen Clark. Her portfolio is the arts (and has been for the last 6 or so years). Her arts policies have been part of the reason you see a large number of films coming out of the country, and her introduction of local music quotas for radio has lead to a really vibrant music scene.

Unfortunately we also have some bad politicians:
Winston Peters (Currently minister of foreign affairs :blink: ) (Charismatic ex lawyer that appeals to the elderly by things such as being anti-(asian/muslim)immigration. This guy is really something to watch, and is dangerously Hitleresque in his ability to make bad things sound positive. Has frikken annoying deflective skills so that he is never pinned down on any promises (being a lawyer he is very specific in his terminology, but is well aware of the way that his words will be interpreted by the public))
Michael Cullen (Currently Finance minister) Makes moronic statements with no grounds in economics. Consistently ignores treasury advice and the reserve bank.

But hey, overall it is good to have a system with real multi-party politics rather than a personality based duality. A good example is the newly created Maori party which got four(?) seats in the last election just a few months after it was created in response to some oppressive legislation (Note:Foreshore and seabed legislation - violates some UN convention) and almost held the balance of power.
whyBish,Feb 8 2006, 11:28 PM Wrote:While the Green party was part of government last term(well, technically it wasn't part of the government, but provided support in exchange for policy concessions), it has been shafted in preference of parties to the centre-right in the current term.

In the last election Nandor didn't actually get elected to office.  He missed out on his seat from the party vote (by one).  It wasn't until Rod Donald, the green party co-leader died ( a few months ago) that he got in as a replacement.

But I did say that you'd like it over here, didn't I?  :)

Another impressive politician is our current prime minister Helen Clark.  Her portfolio is the arts (and has been for the last 6 or so years).  Her arts policies have been part of the reason you see a large number of films coming out of the country, and her introduction of local music quotas for radio has lead to a really vibrant music scene.

Unfortunately we also have some bad politicians:
Winston Peters (Currently minister of foreign affairs  :blink: ) (Charismatic ex lawyer that appeals to the elderly by things such as being anti-(asian/muslim)immigration.  This guy is really something to watch, and is dangerously Hitleresque in his ability to make bad things sound positive.  Has frikken annoying deflective skills so that he is never pinned down on any promises (being a lawyer he is very specific in his terminology, but is well aware of the way that his words will be interpreted by the public))
Michael Cullen (Currently Finance minister) Makes moronic statements with no grounds in economics.  Consistently ignores treasury advice and the reserve bank.

But hey, overall it is good to have a system with real multi-party politics rather than a personality based duality.  A good example is the newly created Maori party which got four(?) seats in the last election just a few months after it was created in response to some oppressive legislation (Note:Foreshore and seabed legislation - violates some UN convention) and almost held the balance of power.
[right][snapback]101638[/snapback][/right]

Should I ever flee the country, it is on my list of places to live out my life as an exile.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Feb 8 2006, 04:35 PM Wrote:PS:  WJ Clinton and GW Bush were both much younger than Reagan while in the White House, and neither can hold his jock as president.
[right][snapback]101617[/snapback][/right]

Question is, would they really want to hold his jock???? :w00t:

-A
Ashock,Feb 9 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:Question is, would they really want to hold his jock????  :w00t:
-A
[right][snapback]101700[/snapback][/right]
*rogue's press secretary arrives*

"What the rogue meant to say was --"

Ya got me. :whistling:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Feb 9 2006, 01:41 PM Wrote:*rogue's press secretary arrives*

"What the rogue meant to say was --"

Ya got me.  :whistling:

Occhi
[right][snapback]101711[/snapback][/right]

Excerpts from next year's Oscar winner's script:

WC - "Ronnie gave this jock to me !!!"

GW - "No, to me !!!!"

Both WC and GW together "I wish I could quit you, Ronnie"........

Brokeback White House.

-A

**Throws up in kufu**

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Ashock,Feb 9 2006, 03:35 PM Wrote:Excerpts from next year's Oscar winner's script:
WC - "Ronnie gave this jock to me !!!"
GW - "No, to me !!!!"
Both WC and GW together "I wish I could quit you, Ronnie"........
Brokeback White House.
-A
[right][snapback]101719[/snapback][/right]
Just up the river from Broke Back Mount Vernon, which is in sheep country (So is any land outside of Washington DC, from a politician's PoV. :P )

Occhi
In Memory of Pete