1.10 Armor Set Quests
Blue. I gather this is the carrot for the "casual" players. They've said the new sets will be MC quality, in previous posts.

EDIT: Another post later in that thread.

Yay, new quests. Might have a chance to finish the Active Agent, finally. :D

The "reitemization" of instances is interesting. I wonder if they'll be changing how and where the tier 0 sets drop. Perhaps we'll see them in earlier instances?

EDIT: Blizz site with "updated" set bonuses.

Screens of three pieces of the new armor
Paladin Helm
Warrior BP
Warlock Gloves

Anyways, on to the really fun part of the post:
This - this is cool. A map of Azeroth based on Google Map. Fantastic idea, wish the site was fully active.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
I actually really like these potential changes to the game. I have many alts and don't necessarily want to bring them to MC/BWL/AQ. But i do want to upgrade my gear. If the sets pictured are even close to the truth then i really like that Warrior set. Set bonuses are nice and i am looking forward to running instances and quests to get those items.

Blizzard is listening to casual players. I personally don't think this will calm down the playerbase because the issues are far deeper than just itemization in the game. Its the major flaw of their design: all character progression post 60 is basically through gaining raid items. If you don't raid then your really out of luck. These new sets address that but really are a temporary bandaid.

This game needs Hero Classes or an AA (Alternative Advancement System). I would really appreciate either but i hold no hopes they will ever put these into the game. People like grinding when their feeder bar aka experience bar goes up. If Hero Classes or AA's allowed you to trade experience for say example, stat enhancements then everybody in the game benefits. Currently right now its raiders vrs. non-raiders and only Blizzard has themselves to blame for designing themselves into a corner.
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
Sword_of_Doom,Jan 30 2006, 11:20 PM Wrote:I actually really like these potential changes to the game.  I have many alts and don't necessarily want to bring them to MC/BWL/AQ.  But i do want to upgrade my gear.  If the sets pictured are even close to the truth then i really like that Warrior set.  Set bonuses are nice and i am looking forward to running instances and quests to get those items.

I completely agree. I'm already raiding 4-5 nights a week on my paladin, I don't have the time or desire to raid equip any alts (thus, why my alts stall out before capping). Instance gear that allows me to remain at least somewhat competitive on secondary characters with the Bleeding Edge raiders is welcome.

Quote:Blizzard is listening to casual players.  I personally don't think this will calm down the playerbase because the issues are far deeper than just itemization in the game.  Its the major flaw of their design:  all character progression post 60 is basically through gaining raid items.  If you don't raid then your really out of luck.  These new sets address that but really are a temporary bandaid.

I have a feeling that bandaids are all casual players are ever going to get, at least until the expansion. Enough bandaids will go along way, though.

Quote:This game needs Hero Classes or an AA (Alternative Advancement System).  I would really appreciate either but i hold no hopes they will ever put these into the game.  People like grinding when their feeder bar aka experience bar goes up.  If Hero Classes or AA's allowed you to trade experience for say example, stat enhancements then everybody in the game benefits.  Currently right now its raiders vrs. non-raiders and only Blizzard has themselves to blame for designing themselves into a corner.
[right][snapback]100584[/snapback][/right]

AAs... god, they were awesome. Of course, they also displayed the imbalance between the hardcore and casual "classes" dramatically. 100-300 some AAs (I'm talking PoP era, I quit when GoD came out) was such a remarkable increase in power, and an overwhelming time investment unless your guild had access to the upper planes. And then, the guilds with that kind of access start requiring that level of AA to join. So, we ended up with the powerful becoming more powerful at a rate impossible to approach by the casual player, thanks to flagging and equipment requirements.

It could work, though. WoW is a very different game and it would bring a great deal to the table to have another form of experience based advancement.

My god I want that breastplate to go along with my new Untamed Blade. Knowing my luck it will be a hideous yellow and puke green color scheme. :mellow:
The children will never be happy.

This is a great addition. Content = good. But within a week you'll have "casual" players spamming the General Blizzard forum with complaints on the fact that "hardcore" players all have "their" item sets.
See you in Town,
-Z
I'm happy that they're finally doing something for the non-raiders, but what is up with that 8-piece warlock set bonus? +200 armor? How is that epic?
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Just as my WoW account expired and I was through with the game, they had to do this ... I'll go get my credit card. :(
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:The children will never be happy.

This is a great addition. Content = good. But within a week you'll have "casual" players spamming the General Blizzard forum with complaints on the fact that "hardcore" players all have "their" item sets.

Lol. This is so very true.
Cenarius Alliance

Raelynn,Jan 31 2006, 03:31 PM Wrote:I'm happy that they're finally doing something for the non-raiders, but what is up with that 8-piece warlock set bonus?  +200 armor?  How is that epic?
[right][snapback]100614[/snapback][/right]

Blizzard for some reason is not very imaginative when it comes to set bonuses. Maybe they have run out of ideas! I would have to agree with you on that one.
Cenarius Alliance

ima_nerd,Jan 31 2006, 08:07 AM Wrote:Just as my WoW account expired and I was through with the game, they had to do this ... I'll go get my credit card. :(
[right][snapback]100624[/snapback][/right]

I'd say hold out until the damn patch is actually released.
Sword_of_Doom,Jan 31 2006, 01:26 PM Wrote:Blizzard for some reason is not very imaginative when it comes to set bonuses.  Maybe they have run out of ideas!  I would have to agree with you on that one.
[right][snapback]100632[/snapback][/right]
I posted that I was angry about it in the general forums and the only response I got was someone saying basically "It's great. It helps you survive against the classes that are supposed to destroy you". That person basically neglected the fact that at level 60, it's likely less than 2% damage reduction for +200 armor. :(
Stormrage

Dethecus
Raelynn,Jan 31 2006, 11:58 AM Wrote:I posted that I was angry about it in the general forums and the only response I got was someone saying basically "It's great.  It helps you survive against the classes that are supposed to destroy you".  That person basically neglected the fact that at level 60, it's likely less than 2% damage reduction for +200 armor.  :(
[right][snapback]100653[/snapback][/right]

If i understand the resists system right, 2% DR vs. non-holy magic would be +8 to all schools resistance, which would be a pretty nice set bonus. Since these are supposed to be for people who do mostly 5-15 man instancing, a caster taking non-fatal melee damage from adds or a tank aggro failure is pretty common.

-- frink
Casters should not poo poo +armor on their items so fast. If you don't like being 2-shot by warriors you either have to increase your stam or your damage reduction. I think if blizzard added more damage reduction options for cloth users some of the damage scaling in PvP could be fixed.
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
Quote:I'd say hold out until the damn patch is actually released.

Oh, definitely. And no matter how cool this stuff is and no matter how bored I am waiting for Oblivion, if they screw over Priests, there's no way I'm giving them any more money.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Raelynn,Jan 31 2006, 12:58 PM Wrote:That person basically neglected the fact that at level 60, it's likely less than 2% damage reduction for +200 armor.  :(

2% extra damage reduction is enormous. I fight tooth and nail to get armor and stamina. It's the only way to stop getting two or three shotted by warriors, rogues, and hunters. I hope they include more armor bonuses in the future.
Legedi,Jan 31 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:Casters should not poo poo +armor on their items so fast. If you don't like being 2-shot by warriors you either have to increase your stam or your damage reduction. I think if blizzard added more damage reduction options for cloth users some of the damage scaling in PvP could be fixed.
[right][snapback]100660[/snapback][/right]
It isn't so much that it's there, but more that it's the 8 piece bonus. It doesn't feel like an 8-piece bonus to me.

Beyond that, I feel that something more base needs to be done to help casters survive as the melee damage continues it's upward movement, and putting bonuses on items causing a sacrifice of other bonuses isn't the solution.
Stormrage

Dethecus
Oh well, I liked to collect my own unique collection of blues, where i could decide wheter to have more int or more +heal. Seems like Blizzard doesn't want me to think about my item choices too long.
Anyway the thing they should have done:
Add a new 5man or 10man dungeon, which is harder than dm and fill in the missing above t0 blue loot. There isn't a good healing leather shoulder.

Even with a restriction of no new dungeons, they could add with little work a lot to the existent dungeons.
For example, in strat:
1) As everyone knows after Balzanar is dead, the undeads overrun the scarlet crusade. They could add a new boss which commands these undeads and spawns at timmy's spawn point.
2) After killing the postmaster, open up the last two postboxes for a new boss. Or deliver post, for some extra suprise.

What they probably do, my guesses are:
For the solo epic you need 50 Argent Dawn valor marks.
One epic is achieved by killing the same boss that you have to kill for the paladins epic mount or shamans epic helm in scholomance.
You get another epic in dire maul for killing the same boss in dm west as for warlock epic mount quest. (Obviously some adjustment to both encounters would be needed.)

Maybe I'm a little pessimistic, but well it's still the same blizzard....
teske,Feb 1 2006, 07:48 PM Wrote:1) As everyone knows after Balzanar is dead, the undeads overrun the scarlet crusade. They could add a new boss which commands these undeads and spawns at timmy's spawn point.

Timmy himself used to do this. It used to be that Timmy only spawned after you killed Balzanar. So, the normal thing was after killing Balnazar, you'd fight back though the undead mobs to go take out Timmy. It really didn't take long, since most of the undead mobs were non-elites and could be killed with a few aoe's or just a few quick stabs. However, this was too much for many people after the long exhausting trek to Balnazar and I guess some people didn't know about Timmy in the first place. So, Blizzard decided to change it and have Timmy spawn when you've cleared most of the front courtyard.

They did say that they were going to add some bosses to the old dungeons, by the way.
In the 1up story about the patch they said:

1up Wrote:The second adjustment is the ability to upgrade your "blue" dungeon armor sets. (...) Each of these blue armor sets can be upgraded by completing a series of soloable and raid-sized party (5 people) quests.

Am I misreading it or does this mean I need my tier 0 set to do these quests?

Also, what's your money on for the hunter's set name? My money is on Solostalker, Instancestalker, Dirtstalker, Sandstalker, Shadowstalker, or possibly Stalkerstalker. :P
Luminon,Feb 2 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:Sandstalker
[right][snapback]100836[/snapback][/right]

There's already Sandstalker stuff in there (although it has no "set" bonus).

It's got good defense, nature res and life, making it an odd choice for a hunter. It's craftable, and needs a pretty rare drop (Larvae Acid) per piece, and some chitin stuff that people never put in the auction house...

Sorry, it's just that I had to heard about this almost every day for a week straight. My comment of "you should have leveled up a leatherworker then" wasn't very positively received ^_^