problems with highly frequented topics
Hi,

In the 'double-dip mentality' thread I confirmed what I think I had noticed before:
After the 115th post or so, newer post aren't displayed for me. If you want to check, the last post I seem to be able to read is occhi's post on the 25 january. I don't know why, but that has definitely happened before. The only way how I could reply to Kandrathe later was for me to search for my name, read his answer and reply to him at another place in the thread. (I can't see this answer of me, neither).

Oh and when I'm at it:
Sometimes it happens that so many people reply only to each other that the thread tree grows wider and wider, and finally the 'branches' start to overlap and continue on the left side. Just a goof though, not as annoying as the problem I described above.

Do you think there's anything we can do?

Oh, maybe I should list my system specifications:

windows xp sp2
firefox 1.5
adblock extension 0.5.2.056

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
You may have to switch to linear mode to see the posts in huge threads. It's not ideal, but at least you won't be worried about how ugly the thread branches are getting. :P
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
This has always been a problem with this version of the board software. You can see that it has been here at least since my post on Sep 27 2004. It displays only the first 100 posts in the outline.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Fragbait,Jan 30 2006, 08:52 AM Wrote:Hi,
In the 'double-dip mentality' thread I confirmed what I think I had noticed before:
After the 115th post or so, newer post aren't displayed for me. If you want to check, the last post I seem to be able to read is occhi's post on the 25 january. I don't know why, but that has definitely happened before. The only way how I could reply to Kandrathe later was for me to search for my name, read his answer and reply to him at another place in the thread. (I can't see this answer of me, neither).

Oh and when I'm at it:
Sometimes it happens that so many people reply only to each other that the thread tree grows wider and wider, and finally the 'branches' start to overlap and continue on the left side. Just a goof though, not as annoying as the problem I described above.
[right][snapback]100499[/snapback][/right]

Can't help with the wrap-around issue, but my experience in the 750+ post "wish game" thread is that at the bottom of the tree is a listing of pages. Clicking on the next page of the tree shows me more of the posts, but makes linning up the reply target/subtree a bit difficult. Not sure if this is a difference in the IE vs. fireFox experience, but it works for me when I go "outline" mode.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Jan 31 2006, 01:55 PM Wrote:Can't help with the wrap-around issue, but my experience in the 750+ post "wish game" thread is that at the bottom of the tree is a listing of pages.  Clicking on the next page of the tree shows me more of the posts, but makes linning up the reply target/subtree a bit difficult.  Not sure if this is a difference in the IE vs. fireFox experience, but it works for me when I go "outline" mode.[right][snapback]100643[/snapback][/right]
Right. This is a limitation of the software, unfortunately.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Jeunemaitre,Jan 31 2006, 12:55 PM Wrote:Can't help with the wrap-around issue, but my experience in the 750+ post "wish game" thread is that at the bottom of the tree is a listing of pages.  Clicking on the next page of the tree shows me more of the posts, but makes linning up the reply target/subtree a bit difficult.  Not sure if this is a difference in the IE vs. fireFox experience, but it works for me when I go "outline" mode.
[right][snapback]100643[/snapback][/right]
It is true that there are buttons that take you to another page of links, but not all reply links are listed. I didn't count the corrupted wish game thread, but I did the double-dip one. Even though the topic listing shows 125 for replies to the thread, counting the actual reply links in the outline shows 102 (top one on each page of links is the first post). As was originally stated, it does miss replies. It has done that as long as this version has been here. It also does the same thing using IE.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jan 31 2006, 11:51 PM Wrote:It is true that there are buttons that take you to another page of links, but not all reply links are listed.  I didn't count the corrupted wish game thread, but I did the double-dip one.  Even though the topic listing shows 125 for replies to the thread, counting the actual reply links in the outline shows 102 (top one on each page of links is the first post).  As was originally stated, it does miss replies.  It has done that as long as this version has been here.  It also does the same thing using IE.
[right][snapback]100700[/snapback][/right]

I stand corrected. I guess the next time I open my mouth I should be more dilligent in my research. Sorry to be of absolutely no help what-so-ever.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee