Updating iTunes without QuickTime
Is there any way to download updates to iTunes without downloading and re-installing QuickTime? It's not that I dislike QuickTime, but I don't like how it adds itself to my taskbar and system tray every time I just want to update iTunes.

35MB worth of download for an iTunes update seems excessive.
no there isn't but you can get rid of the systray icon by right clicking on the Quicktime icon and going to preferences. at the bottom of the advanced tab is an option to get rid of the systray installation.
Chesspiece_face,Jan 22 2006, 01:45 AM Wrote:no there isn't but you can get rid of the systray icon by right clicking on the Quicktime icon and going to preferences.  at the bottom of the advanced tab is an option to get rid of the systray installation.
[right][snapback]99852[/snapback][/right]

I know this, but every time I update iTunes I have to go through the same procedure with QuickTime just to make it less annoying.

I guess I'll just stop updating iTunes.
DeeBye,Jan 21 2006, 10:16 PM Wrote:Is there any way to download updates to iTunes without downloading and re-installing QuickTime?  It's not that I dislike QuickTime, but I don't like how it adds itself to my taskbar and system tray every time I just want to update iTunes.

[right][snapback]99842[/snapback][/right]

You could try this. I've never used it myself, but it's supposed to let you install, update and run iTunes without Quicktime, as well as view Quicktime supported movies.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Jan 22 2006, 02:34 AM Wrote:You could try this.  I've never used it myself, but it's supposed to let you install, update and run iTunes without Quicktime, as well as view Quicktime supported movies.
[right][snapback]99856[/snapback][/right]

Nothing in that feature list says anything about iTunes.
DeeBye,Jan 22 2006, 01:51 AM Wrote:Nothing in that feature list says anything about iTunes.
[right][snapback]99857[/snapback][/right]

I found a link to that program archived on the apple support forums. <<edit: can't make link work, probably not worth the effor anyways :P >>

It does appear you may have to have this installed before iTunes, however. iTunes uses Quicktime to encode and play several movie formats, which are what most of the new updates focus on. So there's no official way to update iTunes without also updating Quicktime.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Jan 22 2006, 02:56 AM Wrote:I found a link to that program archived on the apple support forums.&nbsp; Here's that link.

It does appear you may have to have this installed before iTunes, however.&nbsp; iTunes uses Quicktime to encode and play several movie formats, which are what most of the new updates focus on.&nbsp; So there's no official way to update iTunes without also updating Quicktime.
[right][snapback]99858[/snapback][/right]

That link doesn't work, and the rest of it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I do appreciate the response though :)
DeeBye,Jan 22 2006, 12:54 AM Wrote:I know this, but every time I update iTunes I have to go through the same procedure with QuickTime just to make it less annoying.

I guess I'll just stop updating iTunes.
[right][snapback]99853[/snapback][/right]

This may be imprudent. A recent Quicktime update patched a serious vulnerability.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
gekko,Jan 22 2006, 08:34 AM Wrote:You could try this.&nbsp; I've never used it myself, but it's supposed to let you install, update and run iTunes without Quicktime, as well as view Quicktime supported movies.

gekko
[right][snapback]99856[/snapback][/right]
A Quicktime codec without iTunes?

Yay.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
DeeBye,Jan 21 2006, 10:16 PM Wrote:Is there any way to download updates to iTunes without downloading and re-installing QuickTime?&nbsp; It's not that I dislike QuickTime, but I don't like how it adds itself to my taskbar and system tray every time I just want to update iTunes.

Apple's stance on software installs/new versions has been the same for a long time, strip the old program and install a fresh new one. This mentality has carried over to minor updates on iTunes. Before iTunes 6.0 was released I was extremely frustrated with the double packaging, since quicktime seemed to have no correlation to MP3's and ACC's.

But since 6.0, iTunes also plays video. And apple's video player is of course quicktime. Since Apple will not be dropping the video support of iTunes, neither will quicktime stop being a part of the update package.

Its frustrating for sure, since once you have the codec there really isn't much reason to have quicktime again. But its Apple's way of ensuring everything is working right on every computer.

With that said, which I'm sure is old news to lounge readers, I think a search for a 'fix' may be fruitless from the outset. But if anyone does happen to find a solution, congrats :)

Cheers,

Munk
DeeBye,Jan 21 2006, 10:16 PM Wrote:Is there any way to download updates to iTunes without downloading and re-installing QuickTime?&nbsp; It's not that I dislike QuickTime, but I don't like how it adds itself to my taskbar and system tray every time I just want to update iTunes.

Ok. You may not be able to get iTunes without QuickTime, but you can do a permanent quick fix that will keep QuickTime from running in the taskbar even after you update iTunes.

Go to start, then run

enter in "msconfig" and hit ok.

From there go to the 'Startup' tab and uncheck the box next to qttask.

Hit ok and when you restart your PC QuickTime won't be in the taskbar anymore. (A message will pop-up upon your next startup notifing you that the change was made)

EDIT: This is for Windows XP, and possibly 2000. If after updating iTunes QuickTime shows up in the taskbar again just repeat the process. This same process can be used to disable all sorts of things that run in the taskbar or open up on start up (such as MSN messenger.) Just be careful, a lot of things on that list are required to run windows properly, so don't just disable anything.
[Image: blackdog786.png]