Looking for some help from the elder statesmen of the Lounge
Greetings!

I have recently acquired a very neat antique Double Barrel Cork Gun. I know very little about it except that it worked 25 years ago, and doesn't anymore. I know that the gun is at least 60 years old, as it was found in my grandparents home when they moved in.

I'm wondering if anyone on the lounge might be able to help me understand it a little better. It doesn't work anymore, and if possible, I would like to fix that.

If there is someone on the lounge who might know about these things, I will post any and all pics that you would need in helping me figure out how to get it working again. I hesitate to take it apart without knowing more about it.

Thanks in advance!

Shoju
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Greetings!

I have recently acquired a very neat antique Double Barrel Cork Gun. I know very little about it except that it worked 25 years ago, and doesn't anymore. I know that the gun is at least 60 years old, as it was found in my grandparents home when they moved in.

I'm wondering if anyone on the lounge might be able to help me understand it a little better. It doesn't work anymore, and if possible, I would like to fix that.

If there is someone on the lounge who might know about these things, I will post any and all pics that you would need in helping me figure out how to get it working again. I hesitate to take it apart without knowing more about it.

Thanks in advance!

Shoju

Well I'm neither elderly, stately, or enthusiastic. But I'm now curious.

Getting some of the usual boilerplate stuff out of the way first.

Is there any markings, brand or anything to identify it? eg: Daisy brand blammo toy gun.

Does the previous owner have any info on it? Have you shown it to a group with a more specific interest ie: antique toy forum\groups or hobby stores?

The toy surviving 60 years is quite a feat. I used to have a lever action cork pop gun when I was a youngin. It wasn't very sturdy and it didn't survive long. Then again maybe at that age a toy that invariably becomes a club at some point or another is supposed to be easily breakable. Better for the toy to break vs the toy breaking something else, or someone else.
Quote:Well I'm neither elderly, stately, or enthusiastic. But I'm now curious.

Getting some of the usual boilerplate stuff out of the way first.

Is there any markings, brand or anything to identify it? eg: Daisy brand blammo toy gun.

Does the previous owner have any info on it? Have you shown it to a group with a more specific interest ie: antique toy forum\groups or hobby stores?

The toy surviving 60 years is quite a feat. I used to have a lever action cork pop gun when I was a youngin. It wasn't very sturdy and it didn't survive long. Then again maybe at that age a toy that invariably becomes a club at some point or another is supposed to be easily breakable. Better for the toy to break vs the toy breaking something else, or someone else.

Well I appreciate the help nonetheless.

From what I have been able to research, it is a Daisy brand Cork gun. This isn't definitive as there are no markings on the piece itself, just a LOT of time comparing it to photos.

They might have had documentation at one time or another, but they are both deceased. This was what I chose to take from my grandparents estate before the auction (grandchildren were allowed to take something as a memento)

I haven't shown it to anyone yet. There is a toy and antique show in town once a month, but I got the day after the last one was here, so I have a couple more weeks of waiting.

This has a hard woodstock, and metal barrels. I will take some good pics of it tonight. From what I can remember, it was supposed to cock by opening it they way you would an old school double barrel shotgun. I only played with it a couple of times as a kid... right up until I broke a vase in the basement with it:(

I see the piece there that should be connected to the back, but I'm hesitant to move/bend anything. Expect pics sometime tonight.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote: I only played with it a couple of times as a kid... right up until I broke a vase in the basement with it:(

Don't aim at anything you don't intend to kill, kid. :shuriken: