weapons and mercenaries
i'm having trouble with asheara's mercs in act III.
i got rid of my current guy, thinking i'd get someone better in kurast. however, i have no clue what class he is. he uses "fire" if that makes any difference.

i just went thru nearly all my gold, buying a piece of every single weapon for every class there is and he can't use ANY of them. :( i stripped him down when i tried to arm each new weapon, thinking a shield or armor might interfere, esp if he was some sort of magic wielder. didn't seem to make any difference.

please, can anyone help me out?

:wub:

V***V
vesselle,Jan 19 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:i'm having trouble with asheara's mercs in act III.  i got rid of my current guy, thinking i'd get someone better in kurast. however, i have no clue what class he is. he uses "fire" if that makes any difference.

i just went thru nearly all my gold, buying a piece of every single weapon for every class there is and he can't use ANY of them. :(  i stripped him down when i tried to arm each new weapon, thinking a shield or armor might interfere, esp if he was some sort of magic wielder. didn't seem to make any difference.

please, can anyone help me out?

:wub:

V***V
[right][snapback]99676[/snapback][/right]
Single player, or multiplayer?
Merc's name?
Merc's level?
Game difficulty level?

Were there level requirements on any of the items? Strength Requirements? Dexterity requirements?

Weapons: He can use any one-handed sword (Str and Dex req apply)
Armor: any (If he has the level and str for it)
Shield: any (If he has the level and str for it
Helm: any (If he has the str and lvl for it.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Heiho,

I'm a bit lost with the question regarding a 'class'. He is an Iron Wolf, no character class.
So, to add a bit nitpicking to Occhi's posting, he can't use class specific (Pal/Necro) shields nor specific (Barb/Druid) Helmets.

But as his weapon he can wield any 1H sword, if he matches the requirements, like Occhi said. Giving the fact that he most of the time doesn't use his sword for combat and there are only a few uniques and one runeword sword with some caster abilities you can buy some sword at the shop with more defensive qualities. They won't offer anything with useful offensive attributes.
That is, if you play the recent patch.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Occhidiangela,Jan 19 2006, 12:36 PM Wrote:Single player, or multiplayer?
single player

Quote:Merc's name?
scorch

Quote:Merc's level?
level 19

Quote:Game difficulty level?
whatever the first time thru is called

Quote:Were there level requirements on any of the items? Strength Requirements?  Dexterity requirements?
nope.

Quote:Weapons: He can use any one-handed sword (Str and Dex req apply)
apparently he can't.
i've bought and resold everything, including a beginner's 1-H sword to every single other kind of weapon that is offered by all the traders in kurast. i'm nearly penniless now and he's still weaponless. :(

Quote:Armor: any (If he has the level and str for it)
Shield: any (If he has the level and str for it
Helm: any (If he has the str and lvl for it.)
i know that. :) he's fully outfitted.... except for a darned weapon.

any other ideas? anyone?

i'd gladly change him out for my first merc. i don't know what possessed me to not resurrect him this time, but i did. and because i hired someone else now, i have no option to resurrect him. :(

V***V

You don't have to worry that much about an Act3 Merc's weapon as they almost never hit with them (99% of the time they cast spells instead). Go to the jungle, kill a few critters and see if a sword with +resists drops and gie it to him.