Possible End game priest?
Was just trying to make a priest build a bit more active.
But I do not have the level (45 atm) , nor the experience in instances to judge if this build could work at level 60, the idea behind was thought from SM instance.

The idea is being more proactive, the damage I prevent helping me by having to heal less :)

Pros
More effective heals from holy talents.
Silence for pesky mages, paladins.
Mind flay to render big melee enemies inefective.(lvl 1 mainly)
Improved shadow word pain for damage when needed, it adds :)
Improved fortitude and unbreakable will from discipline.

Con
No mental strength is the biggest drawback I see.

Please feel free to critique!!

Priest Talents hybrid
Minimum Required Level: 60
Required Talent Points: 51
Discipline Talents - 7 points

Unbreakable Will - rank 5/5

Improved Power Word: Fortitude - rank 2/2

Holy Talents - 23 points

Improved Renew - rank 5/5

Spiritual Healing - rank 5/5

Subtlety - rank 5/5

Improved Healing - rank 5/5

Improved Prayer of Healing - rank 2/2

Spirit of Redemption - rank 1/1

Shadow Talents - 21 points

Blackout - rank 5/5

Improved Shadow Word: Pain - rank 2/2

Shadow Focus - rank 4/5

Improved Psychic Scream - rank 2/2

Improved Mind Blast - rank 3/5

Mind Flay - rank 1/1

Shadow Reach - rank 3/3

Silence - rank 1/1
41 dwarf priest stormrage Perchard
low lvl undead warlock terenas Slyshadow
south,Jan 19 2006, 02:10 PM Wrote:Was just trying to make a priest build a bit more active.
But I do not have the level (45 atm) , nor the experience in instances to judge if this build could work at level 60, the idea behind was thought from SM instance.

The idea is being more proactive, the damage I prevent helping me by having to heal less :)
Pros
More effective heals from holy talents.
Silence for pesky mages, paladins.
Mind flay to render big melee enemies inefective.(lvl 1  mainly)
Improved shadow word pain  for damage when needed, it adds :)
Improved fortitude and unbreakable will from discipline.

Con
No mental strength is the biggest drawback I see.

Please feel free to critique!!
Priest Talents hybrid
Minimum Required Level: 60
Required Talent Points: 51
Discipline Talents -  7 points

Unbreakable Will - rank 5/5

Improved Power Word: Fortitude - rank 2/2

Holy Talents -  23 points

Improved Renew - rank 5/5

Spiritual Healing - rank 5/5

Subtlety - rank 5/5

Shadow Talents -  21 points

Blackout - rank 5/5

Improved Shadow Word: Pain - rank 2/2

Shadow Focus - rank 4/5

Improved Psychic Scream - rank 2/2

Improved Mind Blast - rank 3/5

Mind Flay - rank 1/1

Shadow Reach - rank 3/3

Silence - rank 1/1

[right][snapback]99675[/snapback][/right]

Don't worry too much about your build. Other things are more important like : gear, knowledge of the game, common sense, etc... Beside all that, It's a lot more fun to play with this build that just stand back and heal !

I did respec to healer when i hit 55. Didn't like it really so i respec to my usual 18/0/33 ShadowPriest build and it's working just fine. I still "outheal" other priests and druids in raids and can last longer than most of them when it's required.

Basically, i decided to go with Balanced instead of Holy because only 2 thing are good to have in holy (for me) : Spiritual Healing and Subtlety and they require 15 points to get. Subtlety is not that important for raids but it makes thing harder in any 5man run. Spiritual Healing is great to have. Balanced buthas bunch of nice thing to have that can be useful more often (not only useful when you are a healer....but all the time) . The only one i really do miss from my "healer build" is "inner focus".

"the damage I prevent helping me by having to heal less" is not really true. You can't do much to actually prevent damage but you can prevent wipes by killing a runner (or at least slowing him down so others can kill him) with Mind Flay or doing a nice Silence pull when you are in party without a mage able to do it. It's still fun (done it countless times) to cast a "vampiric aura" on a boss at the end of a run and see the reaction of the people you are in party with when they realize you are a "shadow priest" :) If they don't, i turn to shadowform :)

the part of your build that concerns me the most is :

Spirit of redemption is a waste in my opinion. A dead healer is not good and it's always preferable to have an "alive" one. Besides, all the remaining party members that let their priest die don't deserve to be healed !

Prayer of Healing should not be used unless it's an extreme situation. Putting 2 points on something you'll practically never use isn't a good idea.

Improved Healing 5/5 without Master Healer does'nt really make sense. If you want to use long greater heals, you usually put points in Master Healer too. Personnally, i don't use them. No need to put talent points in there for me.

You shadow build is practically like mine (and everyone else) except for one thing : Shadow reach. I'ts not that good cause it only works on some shadow spells. If blizzard ever fix this, it will be "better" but not that good anyways. I would pick Improve Fade instead which you will have to use A LOT when you are in a party with "not good" players that can't understand that a healer can't heal with a couple of mobs on him. Believe me, you will use it a lot !

contact me in-game if you have more questions/concerns/comments.

Kadargo - Greymane

PS. Try to team up with a warlock as ofte as you can to quest and farm. One that does shadow damage, not fire. It's pretty amazing how much damage you can do with the bonuses to shadow damage of both classes that stack on mobs :!

Some of the things I'm noticing here:

Endgame seems to imply raiding / instancing a lot -- if you're grouping with other priests, you will want Improved Power Word: Shield. If you don't have it, someone's going to be stuck with the weakened soul Debuff for far longer than they should. You're essentially removing the ability of an 'oh #$%&' panic button.

Also, since you're going to be doing damage, you might want to use Silent Resolve instead of Unbreakable Will. Unbreakable Will doesn't come in handy that much, but Silent Resolve will really cut down your aggro generation from doing damage.
caiuslarrius,Jan 19 2006, 06:09 PM Wrote:Don't worry too much about your build. Other things are more important like : gear, knowledge of the game, common sense, etc... Beside all that, It's a lot more fun to play with this build that just stand back and heal !
[right][snapback]99692[/snapback][/right]

Of course those things are more important. But don't kid yourself -- given equal gear, common sense, and knowledge of the game, a healing specc'ed priest can heal better, and a lot longer. Conversely, a shadow priest can deal a lot more damage. You spec according to what you do, and what you enjoy.
caiuslarrius,Jan 19 2006, 08:09 PM Wrote:Prayer of Healing should not be used unless it's an extreme situation. Putting 2 points on something you'll practically never use isn't a good idea.
[right][snapback]99692[/snapback][/right]

Umm... no. There are alot of bosses that have AoE effects, and Prayer of Healing is something that is more mana efficient than flash heal w/that talent if it heals two people w/o overheal. This talent is one of the few decent ones farther down the holy tree, imho.
caiuslarrius,Jan 19 2006, 06:09 PM Wrote:Prayer of Healing should not be used unless it's an extreme situation. Putting 2 points on something you'll practically never use isn't a good idea.

On the contrary, Prayer of Healing should be used at every opportunity. If three or more people need healing and if nobody is likely to die in 3 seconds, then you should use Prayer of Healing. If you have the talent, you might even get away with healing only two people with it. For me, Prayer of Healing is near the top of my healing thought tree. If three or more people need healed, it has both the highest mana efficiency and highest heal-per-time of any healing spell. Those times when a fight's gone wrong and it seems like we could never possibly survive and yet somehow we amazingly pulled it out are those times when I've used Prayer of Healing.