I'm considering upgrading my video card
My system is pretty antiquated right now, but I'd like to squeeze a few more miles out of it.

Here's what I have. Please don't laugh or say "Buy a whole new system u n00b".

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (1.47 GHz)
ECS K7VMM+ motherboard
512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2x256)
Powercolor Radeon 9200SE 128MB video card

I'd like to get a bit more performance while playing Guild Wars. The crappy 9200SE is obviously the weak point here. I'd like to switch this with something better, but I don't want to go overboard. I only want to be able to run games at my desktop resolution (1024x768) with medium-high detail and decent FPS.

I plan on buying from a local shop here in town. It's owned by a sweet little old asian man and the prices are as good as any online hardware retailer in Canada.

I've narrowed my choices down to a few. These are what the local shop carries. Input is appreciated. Keep in mind that my motherboard does not have a PCI-e slot. It's a 4X AGP one.

Powercolor Radeon 9600 128MB AGP - $69.00
This is a generation or two ahead of what I currently use, and isn't a dreaded "SE" model.

ASUS N6200/TD 128MB - $72.99
I've never owned an nVidia card before, but I understand that the 6200 series is their latest budget line. I like the price, and I bet it runs rings around my 9200SE.

ASUS N6200/TD 256MB - $97.99
Same as above, but I bet that the extra 128MB is a huge waste especially in a system such as mine. I thought I'd throw that out there just for the sake of completeness though.

Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage 256MB AGP - $95.99
The 9600 Pro is a better performer than a plain 9600, and is probably worth the extra $27. The 256MB is probably more than I need, but the local store doesn't sell a 128MB model.

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP - $122.99
If a 9600-series ATI card is the sweet spot, the 9600XT is the best I can do. Right now I'm sorta leaning towards this one. I just think that my computer's other parts will be a major bottleneck for anything better.

Powercolor ATI Radeon X700 256MB DDR2 128 Bit AGP - $158.99
This is climbing out of my budget, but it's a newer generation card that performs very well at that price range.

BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB GDDR3 AGP - $213.99
I'd really really like to justify buying this, but I just don't see it happening. It's really out of my price range, and my other parts would bottleneck it.
The 9600 XT is what I use, and I'd recommend it to you, as well. It's a reliable card, and can be overclocked with relative ease and safety if you want to crank out even more frames.

Anything more than the XT, and you may end up with your CPU being the limiting factor.

I'd also recommend tacking on an extra 512MB of RAM when you get a chance (Corsair ValueSelect tends to be very affordable), since more RAM = better more often than not.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I'm in a similar position, with an Athlon 1800+ and an FX 5200 128 mb video card. I would suggest not upgrading. Any new computer you do purchase in the next few years will definitely not support AGP, meaning you will absolutely need to upgrade your card at that point (note: if you are willing to buy used computer parts, this may not be true. Used AGP motherboards and accompanying processors should be quite inexpensive in another year or two, meaning you could indeed hang on to whatever graphics card you pick up - though obviously in 2 years the graphics cards you mentioned will all be due for upgrading, as well). Save your money and put it towards a new computer. With all the dual core chips starting to appear, the prices of the current "standards" -- socket 939 on the AMD side in particular -- should really drop in the near future.

Of course, if buying a card for ~$100 now will keep you happy with your current system for at least another year or so, then you really can't go wrong for that kind of money.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
DeeBye,Jan 13 2006, 11:10 PM Wrote:Powercolor Radeon 9600 128MB AGP  - $69.00
This is a generation or two ahead of what I currently use, and isn't a dreaded "SE" model.

Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage 256MB AGP  - $95.99
The 9600 Pro is a better performer than a plain 9600, and is probably worth the extra $27.  The 256MB is probably more than I need, but the local store doesn't sell a 128MB model.

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP  - $122.99
If a 9600-series ATI card is the sweet spot, the 9600XT is the best I can do.  Right now I'm sorta leaning towards this one.  I just think that my computer's other parts will be a major bottleneck for anything better.

Hi,

I have the 9600 XT 128mb...here is some Old [10 Nov 2004 ] INFO...
Note: this card does not require additional Power.

Quote:The Radeon 9600XT (codename RV360) takes a special place in this line-up, though, as it is based on a more modern architecture than the earlier 9600 variants. For the first time, this makes driver optimizations for trilinear filtering possible, which results in much higher performance.

Versions:

Radeon 9600 XT - 128/256 MB - 128 bit - 500/600 MHz
Radeon 9600 Pro - 128/256 MB - 128 Bit - 400/600 MHz
Radeon 9600 - 64/128/256 MB - 128 Bit - 325/400 MHz
Radeon 9600SE - 64/128 MB - 64/128 bit - 325/365 MHz

THG Graphics Card Buyers Guide...

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
gekko,Jan 14 2006, 12:30 AM Wrote:I'm in a similar position, with an Athlon 1800+ and an FX 5200 128 mb video card.
[right][snapback]99359[/snapback][/right]

I was gonna say "I feel your pain" until I realised that your 1800+ and FX5200 are better than my 1700+ and 9200SE :angry:

gekko,Jan 14 2006, 12:30 AM Wrote:I would suggest not upgrading.  Any new computer you do purchase in the next few years will definitely not support AGP, meaning you will absolutely need to upgrade your card at that point (note: if you are willing to buy used computer parts, this may not be true. Used AGP motherboards and accompanying processors should be quite inexpensive in another year or two, meaning you could indeed hang on to whatever graphics card you pick up - though obviously in 2 years the graphics cards you mentioned will all be due for upgrading, as well).
[right][snapback]99359[/snapback][/right]

The next computer I buy will likely support AGP, because I make it a habit to buy computer stuff that is obsolete and cheap :)
DeeBye,Jan 13 2006, 11:10 PM Wrote:My system is pretty antiquated right now, but I'd like to squeeze a few more miles out of it.

Here's what I have.  Please don't laugh or say "Buy a whole new system u n00b".

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (1.47 GHz)
ECS K7VMM+ motherboard
512 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2x256)
Powercolor Radeon 9200SE 128MB video card

I'd like to get a bit more performance while playing Guild Wars.  The crappy 9200SE is obviously the weak point here.  I'd like to switch this with something better, but I don't want to go overboard.  I only want to be able to run games at my desktop resolution (1024x768) with medium-high detail and decent FPS.

I plan on buying from a local shop here in town.  It's owned by a sweet little old asian man and the prices are as good as any online hardware retailer in Canada.

I've narrowed my choices down to a few.  These are what the local shop carries.  Input is appreciated.  Keep in mind that my motherboard does not have a PCI-e slot.  It's a 4X AGP one.

Powercolor Radeon 9600 128MB AGP  - $69.00

ASUS N6200/TD 128MB  - $72.99
I've never owned an nVidia card before, but I understand that the 6200 series is their latest budget line.  I like the price, and I bet it runs rings around my 9200SE.

ASUS N6200/TD 256MB  - $97.99
Same as above, but I bet that the extra 128MB is a huge waste especially in a system such as mine.  I thought I'd throw that out there just for the sake of completeness though.

Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage 256MB AGP  - $95.99
The 9600 Pro is a better performer than a plain 9600, and is probably worth the extra $27.  The 256MB is probably more than I need, but the local store doesn't sell a 128MB model.

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP  - $122.99
If a 9600-series ATI card is the sweet spot, the 9600XT is the best I can do.  Right now I'm sorta leaning towards this one.  I just think that my computer's other parts will be a major bottleneck for anything better.

Powercolor ATI Radeon X700 256MB DDR2 128 Bit AGP  - $158.99
This is climbing out of my budget, but it's a newer generation card that performs very well at that price range.

BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB GDDR3 AGP  - $213.99
I'd really really like to justify buying this, but I just don't see it happening.  It's really out of my price range, and my other parts would bottleneck it.
[right][snapback]99356[/snapback][/right]
I just replaced my failing ATI 9800 Pro with the ATI Radeon X700. I would avoid Saphire though for ATI rebranding. I've personally know of 3 Saphire ATI 9800 pro's failing for different people (one was mine) well before the cards time. MSI is better.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I bought this card to replace my MX440 a couple weeks ago and it's great for my system:

XFX 6600 256MB AGP4x/8x -- $119.00 U.S. at NewEgg

I can run all my older games at MAX settings and resolutions. My newest games run great at medium settings and moderate resolution.

My system is an aging Gateway with these other components:
Pentium 4A 2.4ghz
Mobo: Intel Maryville 2 D850EMV2 i850E (AGP 4x slot)
1 gig RDRAM (I added 512MB about 9 months ago)
400w power supply (purchased along with video card - My old 250 watt wasn't good enough for anything over an FX5700.)

Before adding a video card check your power supply's rating, especially on the 12v rail. A video card is a great way to extend your PC's lifespan. I feel anything around $100.00 is a pretty good buy for this purpose. With your 1700+ processor I wonder how much room is left for your system. My P2.4 is feeling squeezed on the newest games.

I commend you on the decision to buy local. My area only has big box stores and boutique style computer stores designed more around corporate contract sales and premium priced one-off rigs.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I don't know what games you play. I used to play WoW on a laptop with a 2 Gig CPU, 512 MB of RAM and an ATI mobile 9700. It was adequate except for absolutely unacceptable amounts of lag in raids and in Ironforge. When I finally bought a system with a GT 6600 card the difference was like night and day. So I imagine your decision should be based in part on what your gaming needs are.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
gekko,Jan 13 2006, 11:30 PM Wrote:With all the dual core chips starting to appear, the prices of the current "standards" -- socket 939 on the AMD side in particular -- should really drop in the near future.

gekko

Socket 939 is dead. The last processor for it was just released this month, and come the middle of this year, 939 will be officially phased out.

Now is NOT the best time to upgrade your computer, at all. Upgrading your video card and expanding your RAM are all very viable, affordable, and worthwhile upgrade paths right now (almost always are). However, to build a new system right now would be pointless. Both Intel and AMD are set to deploy a whole slew of next-generation technology during the course of this year (Intel has already started this, with much more coming by next September, at the earliest, for their new "Merom" chip; AMD is about to start on a similar path, but probably not until summer time), so picking from the crop now would be fruitless (no pun intended).

I would go with one of the ATI 9600's, or an X700. The 6600 is outdated at best, was designed as a middle-of-the-road card, and is WAY overpriced for what it's offering you. Pass on it.

Above all else, go with what you can afford. The X700 will give you added longevity, but depending on when you upgrade next, that may not be needed. If, for example, you plan to upgrade by the end of this year, chances are it won't be necessary to get the extra "oomph" out of the card. On the other hand, if your upgrade is a ways off (halfway into next year), or if you really seek better performance, the X700 may be worth the minor extra dough.

All up to you and what you're seeking.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
He said Canada. NewEgg doesn't ship to Canada. So, it's not an option for him.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jan 14 2006, 11:36 AM Wrote:He said Canada. NewEgg doesn't ship to Canada. So, it's not an option for him.
[right][snapback]99385[/snapback][/right]

I know. I was just posting it as an example of what I did. That's why I made sure to include U.S. in the hotlink title. I favor his choice to go with a local vendor also.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Roland,Jan 14 2006, 03:35 PM Wrote:I would go with one of the ATI 9600's, or an X700.
[right][snapback]99384[/snapback][/right]

I got the 9600XT. I'm gonna install it sometime tonight.
Roland,Jan 14 2006, 07:35 PM Wrote:I would go with one of the ATI 9600's, or an X700. The 6600 is outdated at best, was designed as a middle-of-the-road card, and is WAY overpriced for what it's offering you. Pass on it.

Above all else, go with what you can afford. The X700 will give you added longevity, but depending on when you upgrade next, that may not be needed. If, for example, you plan to upgrade by the end of this year, chances are it won't be necessary to get the extra "oomph" out of the card. On the other hand, if your upgrade is a ways off (halfway into next year), or if you really seek better performance, the X700 may be worth the minor extra dough.

All up to you and what you're seeking.
[right][snapback]99384[/snapback][/right]

Hmm - I went with a Nvidia 6600 recently (non-GT, just standard - with 128MB RAM). It produced a very nice upgrade from my previous card - Nvidia 5700 - and chalk and cheese compared to my ATI9550).

Having said that, Deebye made a good choice in the 9600 IMHO. Probably fairly equivalent to the 6600 and priced well. I still have the kids playing on an Athlon 1700+ with a Radeon 9000 - and it is only a little slow on some games (tad laggy on WoW, I'm told - but playable).

HowGozit
HowGozit,Jan 14 2006, 09:47 PM Wrote:Having said that, Deebye made a good choice in the 9600 IMHO.  Probably fairly equivalent to the 6600 and priced well.  I still have the kids playing on an Athlon 1700+ with a Radeon 9000 - and it is only a little slow on some games (tad laggy on WoW, I'm told - but playable).
[right][snapback]99400[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the feedback. The installation went smoothly. I uninstalled the old drivers, yanked the 9200SE, slid in the 9600XT, and powered it up. I installed the new drivers and rebooted. It literally took less than 5 minutes.

I tried a little Guild Wars and cranked all of the visual goodies as high as they would go (1024x768), and it looked great (how do you check FPS with Guild Wars?). The animations were very smooth, and the enemies didn't look like blocky masses of triangles.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it so far. I was a bit worried about how loud the fan might be. My old 9200SE had no fan. I can't even hear it.

As an unexpected bonus, the 9600XT even solved a niggling video complaint I used to have. With my 9200SE, there used to be a very faint light coloured line down the middle of my screen. It was mostly unnoticable unless my monitor was showing something dark, like a movie or something. I thought it was my monitor, but now that the 9600XT is installed, I now see that it was the 9200SE. Weird.

I kinda wish I had done some benchmark tests with my 9200SE installed just so I had some hard numbers to compare how much better this new card is.
Disagree with you there. My friends and I have used Sapphire ATI cards for some time now, and we've never had any problems.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Welcome to the club :)

I use FRAPS for most of my basic benchmarking needs.
Artega,Jan 14 2006, 11:48 PM Wrote:Welcome to the club :)

I use FRAPS for most of my basic benchmarking needs.
[right][snapback]99407[/snapback][/right]

Best Buy is selling the 9600XT 128MB for $349CAD :blink:

According to FRAPS I get about 45 fps with the new card. All visual options are maxed out.
Artega,Jan 14 2006, 10:35 PM Wrote:Disagree with you there.  My friends and I have used Sapphire ATI cards for some time now, and we've never had any problems.
[right][snapback]99406[/snapback][/right]
It might have been an issue specific to the Sapphire design of the 9800PRO -- the stock cooling was horrible, but on two of the cards that failed the cooling was replaced as well. I notice that Newegg no longer offers a Sapphire 9800PRO.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Somewhat related topic: Does anyone have experience with the all-in-one wonder 9600 card? I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my FX 5200 card for a while now, and would also like a video capture card. However, I really don't need either upgrade so it's more a novelty thing - I keep my eye on a few sites, looking for a good deal. Futureshop (shudder) has the 9600 all in wonder on for $120 CAN ($130 off regular price) which seems like a pretty good deal. Will I really notice a decent improvement from my 5200? I don't play any really new games, but like to keep my options open. I am currently running, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, an 1800+ Athlon XP, 768 MB RAM system.

I can get the 9600XT for about the same price from a local shop ($140 CAN or so). I'm thinking I'd be better off with a seperate capture card. I'm not planning on upgrading my computer for at least another year, probably longer, but probably the newest game I'm remotely interested in buying is Battle for Middle Earth II.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
DeeBye,Jan 15 2006, 05:20 AM Wrote:how do you check FPS with Guild Wars?
[right][snapback]99403[/snapback][/right]
Add -perf to the shortcut target.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->