Has anyone tried "BugMeNot.com"?
Hi,

One of my pet peeves is tracking down some free program or file, and then finding that it's only available from some site that requires registration.

It's bad enough when it's some site like FilePlanet, which I end up at often enough that maybe I should register. But, aside from privacy issues, often it's some site that I probably won't revisit for a year or two, if ever, and probably won't remember my user name and/or password by the time I come back. :P

So I was really intrigued when tonight I found a link to

http://www.bugmenot.com/

Apparently, I'm not the only one frustrated by this "Registration required" cr@p.

From their FAQ:

"How many sites do you have accounts for?"
"102004"

:w00t:

It could be a bit of a pain to use, in that you'd always have to have their URL handy, in one form or other, and then go there, etc., but still, overall, I think it might be worth it. Of course, there should be ways to short-cut some of this.

So, aside from spreading the word, I was just wondering if anyone has used this service, and can give some feedback based on experience?

The RoboForm program they plug sounds interesting, too. Again, has anyone used this?

Regards,

Dako-ta

P. S. I also found a link for a free tea sample - but, it's only good for delivery in USA, sorry:

http://www.yogitea.com/FreeSamples/FreeSamples.asp
I've never used them, but I know that Firefox has a couple of different extensions that will fill in forms for you with 1 click.
Extensions
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Jan 12 2006, 06:31 AM Wrote:I've never used them, but I know that Firefox has a couple of different extensions that will fill in forms for you with 1 click.
Extensions
[right][snapback]99216[/snapback][/right]

http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/02/07/bugmenot/
Quote:It's bad enough when it's some site like FilePlanet, which I end up at often enough that maybe I should register.

Heh. I registered with them way back in the day for free simply by creating an email and password (I think it isn't free anymore?). Funny thing is, it was even before everyone got wise and actually made you check your email before activating your account! I signed up with a hotmail account that isn't even mine and it works to this day!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:Firefox blocks pop-up windows
It stops viruses and spyware
It keeps Microsoft from controlling the internet
It's what the pros use
Ugh. Though I'm a converted Firefox user, this propaganda flashup that's on the front page of this site pretty much turned me off using this site at all.

First point: IE does that now.

Second point: The most recent famous security exploits have been targetting Firefox as well as IE.

Third point: That type of general dislike of large megacorporations makes me think that the flashup's writer ought to move out of his parent's basement, get a real job, and stop thinking that The Man is trying to harsh on his vibe at every turn.

Fourth point: Nope, no real proof of that especially when most professional companies are still rolling out IE distributions across the company infrastructure. Makes sense that if you've got a network running Microsoft server application and communal documents written in Microsoft Office that you use Microsoft Internet Explorer to actually access everything.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Or is it just that you don't want to share your fox handle. ;)
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
NiteFox,Jan 13 2006, 04:51 AM Wrote:Fourth point: Nope, no real proof of that especially when most professional companies are still rolling out IE distributions across the company infrastructure.  Makes sense that if you've got a network running Microsoft server application and communal documents written in Microsoft Office that you use Microsoft Internet Explorer to actually access everything.
[right][snapback]99309[/snapback][/right]

Sure, a large corporation might prefer distribute IE to the user base, but what does the IT staff use?

The OS configuration, firewall and security precautions put on the general "user" pool is usually such that would protect the network from most malicious garbage. If you give your user base access to the internet, you need to expect them to try to install crap that might harbor trojans and what not. You need to design the security of the network for the worst case scenario. In large organizations, the desktop is imaged, locked up pretty tight and managed with Distributed Management Interface tool (Radia, SMS, Openview).

So, assuming you have locked down the installation of potential trojans, next you need to assess which programs you are going to allow to be installed into your environment. Here is where the comparison of needs versus risks is made. If IE offers more functionality, but with increased risk then it might not be worth it.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]