Eranikus' Redemption
As probably many of you already know, the truly epic questline to reforge the sceptre for the Scarab Wall involves various dealings with several old world bosses and some new events and epic battles with new world bosses. For each of the red, blue, and green dragonflights the one (player) who took upon himself the burden to rebuild the sceptre has to deal with them and get their fragments of the sceptre back.

One of these is the encounter with Eranikus. Yes, that very same Eranikus whose shade you battle in the sunken Temple of Atal'Hakkar. Eranikus is summoned in Moonglade, the refugium for all druids, Horde and Alliance. I do not know the exact path up to this point, but Keeper Remulos is somehow involved in this. After some heated exchange of words a giant battle ensues. For a while the tides swing back and forth until, well, I don't want to spoil everything.. let's just say help arrives and Eranikus is redeemed and the fragment is recovered.

Unfortunately, there was no happy end. After the event our server crashed. Over TS we heard that the One didn't recover the fragment. For the next 24 hours our server is being offline because new hardware will be installed. A move I gladly applaud.

While I am enthusiastic about epic battles and events like these the whole ordeal left a sour aftertaste. When I arrived in Moonglade at 1 a.m. local time and reached the point where everyone gathered my framerate dropped into the range of 5-10. That was to be expected. My computer is not what you would call top-of-the-line. But it shows that events like these are not for everyone. As an aside I think it's telling that the name of the guild which procured the right to forge the sceptre on the American server Mal'Ganis is 'Elitist Jerks'.

Surprisingly, despite being on an PvP server, there were no killings between Horde and Alliance the whole time of the summoning and fighting of Eranikus. But it was almost unplayable, I tried to do my best in healing the Keeper Remulos, whacking on Nightmare Phantasms, and even trying to put some damage to the huge dragon himself. But probably I hindered the cause more than I helped because I died three times. Each dying does make the Nightmare Phantasms stronger. They became huge itself.

The Orc warrior Eli from the guild Tia Ra could not "claim" the dragon for his own raid group. He is the one on our server who will hold the sceptre. The consequence was that the fragment was lost. Why that happened I do not know. I also do not know why the server crashed afterwards. It almost looked like some priest caused it with a psychic scream, but that couldn't be it or could it?

Stepping back from this a little I wonder if Blizzard is moving into the right direction. Blizzard has been adding more and more content for big raiding guilds over the last months. While I was lucky that I could partake in events like the flashback scene in front of the Scarab Wall in Silithus and the summoning of Eranikus, many other players are not. And that is a shame. It was symptomatic that on my server the flashback event in Silithus happened at 3 a.m.! Where does that leave the normal player? There is word that everyone can reenact these events after the wall has been opened. But seeing what you must do to even get to the summoning of Eranikus, I doubt that most will be able to do it.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Word is that either everybody, or everybody who is friendly with the Brood of Norztradamu (which will be most semiserious raiders at some point) can go to the crystal and see the flashback event.

As far as raid vs casual content, Blizzard likes to trott out the list of instances - after the wall comes down it will be 3 1/2 serious, 2 semiserious, and 4 casual ones... 7 if you count the wings seperatly.
To put it mildly, Eranikus has been bugging up on our server. To put it less mildly, Blizzard really "messed" up by making an event where they institute a race among major raiding guilds and then cockblock the potential winners of the race with a buggy event and an unnecessary one week wait (the whole process requires two trips into BWL). I've been wanting to write an Adventures of Neriad piece on the process, because for the most part, it has been a fun event that I'd like to share with you. However, right now, I'm so pissed off at Blizzard, I can't think or write straight. Here, we had the chance for the Horde who banded together wonderfully and who caught the Alliance by surprise the chance for the first time to really do something meaningful as a "server first," and the only thing that stopped us was Blizzard's bad coding. This week, I've gone from highs where I thought, "This is the greatest game ever. Blizzard is really getting on the ball now" to the point where I'm considering E-baying my account never to play the game again and maybe finally give Civ IV a try. Maybe in a few days, I'll calm down to something in the middle.
Well, the Eranikus Encounter on our Server crashed too. The servers are simply not made to handle really massive events once action ensues (we know this since the infamous TM <-> SS zergs from the pre battleground phase).

On another note: Mongo you made me curious and I took a peek at the Tichondrius realm forums. Tich seems to live up to its inofficial server categorization "Tichondrius (Drama)"
Never have I witnessed bitching of such epic proportions. You guys REALLY hate each other, don't you? ;)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...us&T=224785&P=1

<3 Tich realm forums
Melisandre: http://ctprofiles.net/371601

I'm not an addict ... maybe that's a lie.
MongoJerry,Jan 12 2006, 01:03 AM Wrote:To put it mildly, Eranikus has been bugging up on our server.&nbsp; To put it less mildly, Blizzard really "messed" up by making an event where they institute a race among major raiding guilds and then cockblock the potential winners of the race with a buggy event and an unnecessary one week wait (the whole process requires two trips into BWL).&nbsp; I've been wanting to write an Adventures of Neriad piece on the process, because for the most part, it has been a fun event that I'd like to share with you.&nbsp; However, right now, I'm so pissed off at Blizzard, I can't think or write straight.&nbsp; Here, we had the chance for the Horde who banded together wonderfully and who caught the Alliance by surprise the chance for the first time to really do something meaningful as a "server first," and the only thing that stopped us was Blizzard's bad coding.&nbsp; This week, I've gone from highs where I thought, "This is the greatest game ever.&nbsp; Blizzard is really getting on the ball now" to the point where I'm considering E-baying my account never to play the game again and maybe finally give Civ IV a try.&nbsp; Maybe in a few days, I'll calm down to something in the middle.
[right][snapback]99205[/snapback][/right]

Give CivIV a try anyway. Great game.

(Also: Looking forward to the AON on this. :))
Hedon,Jan 12 2006, 03:41 AM Wrote:On another note: Mongo you made me curious and I took a peek at the Tichondrius realm forums. Tich seems to live up to its inofficial server categorization "Tichondrius (Drama)"
Never have I witnessed bitching of such epic proportions. You guys REALLY hate each other, don't you?&nbsp; ;)

Yes, we do. We really really do. It sure makes the game interesting and fun, though. It's nice to be on an active server -- where multiple guilds on both sides are very active. It's interesting that Tichondrius's drama is known outside the server, though.

Quote:http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...us&T=224785&P=1

<3 Tich realm forums

Ah, yes. I was particularly proud of my comeback in that thread (on page 5). In response to comments saying that if it weren't for the buggy encounter, The Core/TAO would be done with Erikanus, Renew from Insomnia said, "That assumes that you could beat the Eranikus encounter. What are you gonna do if he gets the red and blue shades?" Renew was sniping on the fact that The Core took a long time to get past the first phase against Nefarian partly because for several weeks, we kept getting red and blue mobs, which are the hardest combination and that for some reason we had a mental block against.

I replied, "I dunno, but I'm sure Insomnia will find a way to exploit around them." This refers to the fact that Insomnia used the instance reset exploit repeatedly in order to get the first Nefarian kill. The Core adamently refused to use the exploit, which is the main reason why we took so long to beat the encounter. It's hard to get very far when you keep only getting one shot at an encounter a night.
I think this thread shows the drama that is always occuring even more clearly:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...mp=1#post225255

See? Even when we try to be peaceful, the drama can't be stopped!
For some reason I keep reading it as "Irenicus" instead of "Eranikus," I wonder why ^_^
MongoJerry,Jan 13 2006, 04:06 AM Wrote:I think this thread shows the drama that is always occuring even more clearly:

See?&nbsp; Even when we try to be peaceful, the drama can't be stopped!
[right][snapback]99307[/snapback][/right]

... I'm so glad I'm on a PvE server.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
MongoJerry,Jan 13 2006, 02:06 AM Wrote:I think this thread shows the drama that is always occuring even more clearly:

This reminds me of a song...

Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama...
Rumulous, Rumulous...
Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama...
An Eranikus...An Eranikus...
Rumulous, Rumulous...

:whistling: :P
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
MongoJerry,Jan 12 2006, 06:03 AM Wrote:... This week, I've gone from highs where I thought, "This is the greatest game ever.&nbsp; Blizzard is really getting on the ball now" to the point where I'm considering E-baying my account never to play the game again and maybe finally give Civ IV a try.&nbsp; Maybe in a few days, I'll calm down to something in the middle.
[right][snapback]99205[/snapback][/right]
And I bet you'll be back within a few months, because even with all its flaws and partly knee-jerk approaches with regard to "epic" events (a.k.a. game testing on the live servers), WoW is the currently most entertaining, quality Internet multiplayer game out there ;)

And don't take the game so seriously, a game remains a game.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
MongoJerry,Jan 13 2006, 11:06 AM Wrote:I think this thread shows the drama that is always occuring even more clearly:

Thank you, I was not disappointed :D
Melisandre: http://ctprofiles.net/371601

I'm not an addict ... maybe that's a lie.
MongoJerry,Jan 13 2006, 03:53 AM Wrote:Renew from Insomnia said, "That assumes that you could beat the Eranikus encounter. What are you gonna do if he gets the red and blue shades?"  Renew was sniping on the fact that The Core took a long time to get past the first phase against Nefarian partly because for several weeks, we kept getting red and blue mobs, which are the hardest combination and that for some reason we had a mental block against.

Actualy Neriad, because you are illiterate I thought I would come and correct you. I was indeed refering to how The Core was unable to kill Nefarian after being able to beat the encounter when they got a bad combination of mobs. However I am not Renew. I am also not currently associated with Insomnia. Please learn to read.
Memory,Jan 15 2006, 05:40 AM Wrote:Actualy Neriad, because you are illiterate I thought I would come and correct you. I was indeed refering to how The Core was unable to kill Nefarian after being able to beat the encounter when they got a bad combination of mobs. However I am not Renew. I am also not currently associated with Insomnia. Please learn to read.
[right][snapback]99412[/snapback][/right]

Hoookay, the drama goes a bit far when it leaks into here.
Memory,Jan 14 2006, 10:40 PM Wrote:Actualy Neriad, because you are illiterate I thought I would come and correct you. I was indeed refering to how The Core was unable to kill Nefarian after being able to beat the encounter when they got a bad combination of mobs. However I am not Renew. I am also not currently associated with Insomnia. Please learn to read.

Haha, good to see you, Memory. Have you learned First Aid, yet? Yes, you're quite right. I get you and Renew mixed up frequently, since you two sound so much the same on the boards.
Memory,Jan 15 2006, 12:40 AM Wrote:Actualy Neriad, because you are illiterate I thought I would come and correct you. I was indeed refering to how The Core was unable to kill Nefarian after being able to beat the encounter when they got a bad combination of mobs. However I am not Renew. I am also not currently associated with Insomnia. Please learn to read.
[right][snapback]99412[/snapback][/right]

Hi. Uninterested party in the ongoing Tich drama but I will ask you to treat everyone at the Lurker Lounge with respect or your visit here will be very short. Feel free to flame away on the Tich boards but not here.
To stear this thread back on topic:
Kil'Jaeden probably was the first european server to complete the szepter in the early saturday morning hours.
But I think quite a few servers where only waiting for Remulus to respawn.
Somehow the gms were convinced that a server restart was a lesser evil.
I think a storm of tickets caused by a popular website and maybe the threat of a forced crash were the bigger evil.
teske,Jan 16 2006, 01:24 AM Wrote:To stear this thread back on topic:
Kil'Jaeden probably was the first european server to complete the szepter in the early saturday morning hours.
But I think quite a few servers where only waiting for Remulus to respawn.
Somehow the gms were convinced that a server restart was a lesser evil.
I think a storm of tickets caused by a popular website and maybe the threat of a forced crash were the bigger evil.
[right][snapback]99431[/snapback][/right]
But the German "Azshara" PvP server is leading in the War Efforts category (currently 61% overall). I've made a Tauren Druid there over the weekend to help the Horde with Peaceblooms and Copper Bars :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Lissa,Jan 13 2006, 02:25 PM Wrote:This reminds me of a song...

Rumulous, Rumulous...
Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama...
An Eranikus...An Eranikus...
Rumulous, Rumulous...
:whistling:&nbsp; :P
[right][snapback]99317[/snapback][/right]
Drama?

Hmm .. how about this one (on PvP servers):

For the Ahn'Quiraj war efforts, the Horde needs to deliver 10,000 lean wolf steaks. The flesh for these drop from wolves in Alliance enemy territory with about 33% drop chance (= about 30,000 wolves required).

The recipe for lean wolf steak cannot be learned from a Horde trainer nor can it be bought from a Horde vendor. The recipe is sold once per hour in limited quantity (1) by the "Super-Seller 680" from the Goblin caravan deep in the south of the Desolace contested territory, and, the limited recipes are sought after by cooks of both factions - Horde and Alliance.

PvP server fans, any questions? :)
nobbie,Jan 17 2006, 05:54 AM Wrote:For the Ahn'Quiraj war efforts, the Horde needs to deliver 10,000 lean wolf steaks. The flesh for these drop from wolves in Alliance enemy territory with about 33% drop chance (= about 30,000 wolves required).

It also drops off the wolves in Ashenvale. Also, there are areas of Duskwood where even questers rarely if ever go, so it's actually quite quiet typically when farming them. Plus, people on both sides want the gates openned.