Avarice PVP in Review
As you probably deduced from the subject, This thread is geared towards seeing where we are thus far after only about two weeks of serious team play.

This is for an overall look, and a look at yourselves as a player to see what we all think are our strengths and weaknesses so far. With this knowledge we can assign positions with the intent on bettering us all, and making each of us able to pick up and go with any role we might have to play on the battlefield.

First off, let me start with how the team as a whole is doing so far. I personally think that we have been absolutely kicking ass out there. We've only been doing serious coordinated team play for a rather short amount of time, but we can get very consistent results in WSG, and give even the best teams a run for thier money every time we enter the instance. Our coordination and knowledge of class roles while we are in WSG is what makes us a formidable foe and increadably hard to beat. What impresses me most is how quickly those that have never stepped foot in WSG before joining the team have picked it up. This just speaks so much for the alliance as a whole, in that we have a very good player base to draw from, and with very little direction we can have folks who've pvp'ed extremely little, up and running with the regulars in no time. WSG has cut our teeth and we broke out the file and started to sharpen right away.

On to Arathi Basin.

I feel we learned a lot tonight on overall tactics for being in AB. The first few minutes are critical. Constant harassment and fluid captures are extremely important as well. I think after some more testing and games (which i'm sure you all are doing as i type this ^_^;) We'll have a much much better understanding of what works, where we should be and what moves we should make and when. It's a much less straight-forward fight, with lots of variables to think of. We need to think in terms of contingency plans. Epic mounted firefighters would be the best way to put it. As much as i hate to lose, the games we played tonight were absolutely huge learning experiences. And that second loss was as someone said a win for us. We held out and made them earn that win, something i'm sure they weren't expecting at all. We'll work on hammering out a good solid deployment plan, which we will need to alter with various versions (read: plays).

And AV is AV ^_-, I can't wait for the AV weekend to get in there with a good set of avarice folks. We're going to wreck that instance.

Now for my personal strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths :
Defensive Positions - I'm probably more comfortable with this because it's less demanding and there is less i can screw up. In AB our defense teams can last longer with a healer, and a hardskin healer i figure they can last even longer. So i have no problems sitting on a forward position and holding out as long as we can until the relief arrives. I'm also finding that my place in WSG is not on D, and i'm learning to deal with that as part of the assault teams.

WSG Assault Team - I'm enjoying this more and more as i get used to it. Cleanse and blessing of freedom are absolute musts for flag team IMO. and i'm getting better with every game.

Weaknesses-
Making Mid-Battle Decisions - I have to get used to thinking on the fly to make decisions more decisively and for the advantage of the overall game plan. I think making pre-game decisions like "We'll hold this at all costs while abandoning this" will help in this area. I've found myself calling for help too late as well, and getting flustered when i go to tell people something over TS. This will go away with practice but it's a big hang up in the flow of our commo and information.

In game Strategy - Figuring out what works is going to take trial and error i know, but I think i apply too much real life tactical thought to how i approach the game. that's the problem with being in the military i guess, though the better i understand the mechanics of the battlegrounds we fight in (ie. the more we play them) the more i can apply real life tactics to in game mechanics. And hopefully the more success I will have with the above problem as well.

Ok folks, your turn. Where do you think we are? and Where do you think you are? Here's to getting better!
Garrin

<span style="color:blue">Garrin - Lvl 60 Human Paladin - Stormrage <Lurkers>
Gasan - Lvl 14 Dwarf Priest - Stormrage <Lurkers>
Bladewhisper - Lvl 60 Rogue - Stormrage <Carpe Aurum>
<span style="color:red">Garrin - Lvl 25 Orc Warlock - Dethecus <Frost Wolves Legion>
Tigarius - Lvl 14 Tauren Warrior - Dethecus
Garrin - Lvl 13 Tauren Druid - Thunderhorn
Garrin,Jan 7 2006, 01:29 AM Wrote:Ok folks, your turn.&nbsp; Where do you think we are?&nbsp; and Where do you think you are?&nbsp; Here's to getting better!
[right][snapback]98851[/snapback][/right]

OMG Self-Evaluations! *gaspsanddies*

Strengths:

At least as far as WSG, I'm definitely rockin' as flag-runner-healer, so long as there isn't a rogue stealthed waiting for me deep midfield. Perception just doesn't last long enough :P Otherwise, I'm all up in that shield/renew/dispel action ;) Also good for same dispel/renew/heal on Defense.

For Arathi Basin, it's hard to say since I've only ever been in the three games I was in this weekend. Clearly, I'm good as the healer assist at holding a resource till reinforcements arrive. Not forever, but for a little bit, at least until they figure out "Oh, #$%&, right, kill the healer." I'm also, surprisingly enough, pretty good at *not getting lost* in AB, and hi-tailing it to the area that needs me, though I do not have an epic ponee, so I'm kinda slow.

Finally, I have an awesome strength in being able to hear when people are getting run over on TS and will tell everyone to STFU for a moment, though atm I can only really immediately tell Darian without TSOverlay ;) So even when I'm dead, I can play Sgt at Arms or whatever *snerk*

Weaknesses:

In a word? I'm a clothie. When I got left all alone at the mine last night, I considered abandoning to help because it might be more useful than me going splat there. I didn't of course, and so I was able to say "OMGWTFBBQPWND", which is something, but definitely not the most effective use of me. If there is a rogue or a determined Warrior, I'll be splat in two hits. Mages and Warlocks at least take a little longer to burn me out.

Second, I don't have an epic pony yet (but hell, I'll accept donations towards said *cackle*). So I run somewhat behind, and if you call out for me to heal you, I might just be out of range. And my strength to be able to heal is my weakness in being a Hot Target, so I get killed a lot and am still getting used to it, so I get somewhat flustered when I'm seeing more black and white than I am technicolor, if'n you know what I mean. But I'm coming along :)

The biggest weakness I have at the moment is being able to self-determine where I'm needed most. A *lot* of that is inexperience, as my revulsion to PUGs has kept me almost entirely out of the BGs up till now. Hopefully as our attack plans solidify and as I get more experience with the group, I'll get better. At least last night I made the executive decision to leave the two pubbies and Venae at the mine and leave, that was a step up for me :D

As a separate shout-out, thanks to all of you for letting me run with you, and for making the battleground fun! <3
"Men, can't live with 'em, can't fit more than six in the trunk of a '64 Impala."

Stormrage/Carpe Aurum: Krossandra (60 Disc/Holy Priest)
Groveborn (Druid); Talhaiarn (Mage); Bruille (Warrior); Senryu (Warlock)

Stormrage/Lurkers: Crenshaw (Rogue)

Terenas/Lurkers: Zerapagia (neglected Orc Warlock)
For me, personally, most of my PvP experience has come in the Arathi Basin. I have run it a number of times in pick-up groups and a couple times in Avarice groups. Obviously, the Avarice groups went better, in general. :) In those runs, I've tended to be best suited for either attacking new bases (where I can drop Intimidating Shout and other nasty disruptive attacks) or a roaming defense. I have an epic mount so I like to ride from one base to the other when I hear it is being assaulted and help keep things under control. I suppose I could also do ok defense (Skybreak is a Night Elf and has Shadowmeld, after all), but I also feel like I'm not doing my best when I'm standing around.

I've been into Alterac Valley a couple times, too, so I kind of know what's going on in there but I still need someone to point me in a direction while there. I do know, however, that I can definitely aid in pushing objectives as the team of Garrin and I pushed the Horde back numerous times when we were teamed up in AV. Also, I know that Skybreak can very, very easily clear out things like the mines in the far north of AV as long as she has a healer with her. Garrin and I duoed those mines a couple times when we were in AV to clear it out so we could get supplies. It worked very well!

To this date, I have never been in Warsong Gulch so whenever I end up getting in there it will be a learning experience. :)

So from these experiences, this is what I'd say are strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths
I feel that I have gotten very good at picking targets out of small groups of players. In the past, I used to go after warriors and rogues that would come out in the front, but I've learned to more-or-less ignore those types of characters in favor of rampaging through healers or the back line of caster classes.

To this end, I feel I've gotten very good at using a number of my abilities that help at this; I know how to make good use of my CC breaking abilities (trinket, Berserker Rage, Death Wish, etc.) when people try to slow me down. In addition, I've gotten a lot better at using Intimidating Shout as an effective Fear Bomb. Sometimes just charging into a waiting pack of Horde players and dropping Intimidating Shout is enough to turn the tide of an assault. :)

Finally, as far as gear goes, my warrior, Skybreak, is an insane DPS warrior. If I get paired up with a healer, then Skybreak often resembles an unstoppable juggernaut that runs around ripping apart everything that stands in her way. Skybreak tends to end up near the top in killing blows and honorable kills for every battleground I've been in recently.

Weaknesses
At times, I feel that I need to be more mindful of the other Alliance players near me. I sometimes charge too deep into Horde lines so that healers have a hard time getting in range to heal me. When I don't have Intimidating Shout in those cases, I often die. :whistling: In addition, I'd like to get better at defending the Alliance casters when they are nearby. If I could get better at that, I think they'd enjoy chasing after me and healing me more. :)

Another thing I need to work on is using Piercing Howl. This ability is VERY nice for use in PvP but I've found that I rarely use it since it's not on my normal action bar. It's off on a side bar where I'd have to manually click it to have it work. Generally I just don't think to go and click it when lots of guys are around me.

The last thing I'd like to work on is communicating via Teamspeak. I have done very little PvP play while on TS so I don't always think to say over TS where I'm headed. I think a bit better communication on my part would help. :)
-TheDragoon