Scarab wall opening thread
Lets compile what we know.

Horde need heavy, thick, and rugged leather. Wool, Mageweave, and Runecloth bandages. Copper, tin, and mithril bars. Peacebloom, firebloom, and purple lotus. Baked salmon, lean wolf steak, and cooked spotted yellowtail.

Turning in any of these things for the first time gives you 10 signets, then 7 after that. You also get a War Supplies crate, with a green item and a scroll in it. I think it is a lvl 20 item for the lowest turn in, 30 for the middle, and 40 for the top.

The signets can be turned in 10 at a time to various faction reps for 75 faction per turn in, or 1 at a time for 5. They can also be turned in 30 at a time for another supply chest, this one containing a lvl 50 green. There are reports of blues or purples in the chest, but I have no idea what rate.

The NPC's will tell you how far your side has to go, and how far along the other side is. It's on the order of several 10's to a couple 100 thousand of each item.

In Cenarion Hold there is the quest What Tomorrow Brings. According to a comment on Allakazam, it leads to Only One May Rise. This is the start of the elite raiding portion of the quests, I guess. It sends you to kill the Broodlord.

Anybody got anything to add?

And now to the comical part.... Massive disruption to the economy. I sold several stacks of runecloth for 9g each, and rugged leather for 5g. The rugged leather is particularly nice cause I picked it up cheep from auctions that were truncated by the patch :)
My level 45 hunter has a quest to turn in 20 signets at a time for loot. I suspect that may be for a lower level loot crate. My level 60 druid has a quest to turn in 30 signets at a time as you say, which yields level 50 greens (and the occasional blue, but I haven't seen any yet).
oldmandennis,Jan 4 2006, 03:25 PM Wrote:Turning in any of these things for the first time gives you 10 signets, then 7 after that. 
[right][snapback]98691[/snapback][/right]
This is not quite true on the "then 7 after that." Since I want to get a lot of reputation with Darnassus for Littledude, I was doing several different types of turn ins to see what some of them were yielding. For the alliance the low end bandage is linen. While the first turn in for them did give 10 signets, the ones after that were only giving 1 signet per turn in. Doing 2 turn-ins of the silk bandages yielded 10 then 7 signets and 2 turn ins of the runecloth bandages yielded 10 and 10. It appears that the level of the items being turned in dictates the number of signets that will be awarded after the first time.

Quote:You also get a War Supplies crate, with a green item and a scroll in it.  I think it is a lvl 20 item for the lowest turn in, 30 for the middle, and 40 for the top.

I have gotten different results than that too. The items from the linen turn ins were somewhat lower than to be expected for a level 20 item generation. For some of the other turn ins that I did; I did not track which crate came from which turn in for my first run at this. But there were a couple of items that had a required level to use of 51; this would indicate that the value of the item would at least in part be dictated by the level of the items being turn in also. I would not be surprised if there is not also a level cap on those items based on the level to the character doing the turn in.
edit: I did no turn ins for the extra supply crate from the warleader, so those items were just from the materials turn ins.
oldmandennis,Jan 4 2006, 01:25 PM Wrote:In Cenarion Hold there is the quest What Tomorrow Brings.  According to a comment on Allakazam, it leads to Only One May Rise.  This is the start of the elite raiding portion of the quests, I guess.  It sends you to kill the Broodlord.
[right][snapback]98691[/snapback][/right]
Killing the Broodlord and turning in his head gets you a trinket which allows you to collect quest items off the silithid in the zone.

The lucky(?) person that loots this is starting a faction grind in the hopes of becoming the person who reforges the mallet used to seal (and now unlock) the AQ gates. Fortunately, he can get help. For every 200 silithid fragments turned in, he gets 200 faction with the bronze dragonflight and, most importantly, one Proxy of the Nozdormu which allows him to deputize another person to collect fragments. AFAIK, only the person at the top of the pyramid can turn in fragments for rep and more Proxies, but it was late and I might not have understood that correctly. :)

At any rate, you start out Hated with the Brood of Nozdormu and you have to grind 36,000 faction just to get out of Hated. Speculation is that Exalted reputation will be required to reforge the mallet and open the gates of Ahn'Qiraj, but since we're still well in the Hated range, we don't know yet.

Also unknown is how this relates to the massive materiel quests ongoing in Org and Ironforge. My suspicion is that when all the materiel is gathered, the Horde and Alliance will man the new outposts that popped up south of Cenarion Hold, and the questgivers will call for the fight against the Silithid to begin in earnest. Probably both the materiel quests and the forging of the mallet will have to be completed before the opening event takes place, but that's just a guess.

The other rumour floating around is that a Proxy of Nozdormu will be required either to raid AQ, or to gain Nozdormu faction while raiding. In that respect, it may work just like the Onyxia key/amulet where you have to have it in your bags to zone into the raid instance.

Either way, find out who is leading the charge for your server and faction, and get deputized! Gathering 200 silithid carapace fragments took us a bit under an hour with a team of three (we ran around a bit trying to figure out where the best drops where), so it's easy to do your part in opening the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj. :)

Kv

Edit: clarity >> me
Ruvanal,Jan 4 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:I would not be surprised if there is not also a level cap on those items based on the level to the character doing the turn in.
[right][snapback]98718[/snapback][/right]

I don't think there is a cap on the items. I turned in runecloth bandages with a level 14 and received a level 49 green item. I've received anywhere from level 53 to level 49 greens from the runecloth bandage turn-in from 5 characters. Item level seems pretty independent of character level.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Tuftears,Jan 4 2006, 12:45 PM Wrote:My level 45 hunter has a quest to turn in 20 signets at a time for loot.  I suspect that may be for a lower level loot crate.  My level 60 druid has a quest to turn in 30 signets at a time as you say, which yields level 50 greens (and the occasional blue, but I haven't seen any yet).
[right][snapback]98698[/snapback][/right]

You appear to be correct. My level 14 had a quest for turning in 5 signets. I decided to test it out. Got a low level WHITE item.

I think it's safe to say that more signets = higher level required item
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Since the fragments are tradable, I believe they can be transfered cross faction through the AH. Some NE chick on our server has annointed herself the gonger by getting the head on day 1 and posting it on the relm forums.

70 servers progress sweet page.
oldmandennis,Jan 5 2006, 02:11 PM Wrote:70 servers progress sweet page.
[right][snapback]98774[/snapback][/right]
Ooh. Nice link. How often does it get updated? And is Blizzard going to actually track it like this? *giggles* *snorts* Yeah, like blizzard would ever want to be helpful to its customer base with giving out information.

Edit: Well, of course they'll track it. I just want to know if they'll possibly make known what they're tracking.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Jan 5 2006, 02:59 PM Wrote:Ooh.  Nice link. How often does it get updated?  And is Blizzard going to actually track it like this?  *giggles* *snorts* Yeah, like blizzard would ever want to be helpful to its customer base with giving out information.

Edit: Well, of course they'll track it.  I just want to know if they'll possibly make known what they're tracking.
[right][snapback]98788[/snapback][/right]

Evidently the website either isn't updated regularly or depends on someone else sending them information on how the server is doing. They show SR as being around 4.5%, yet if you check the page setup by Blood of the Horde, we're at 10.5% towards completion (and also, Horde are slaking on our server, they have 8.4% of their requirements done, but they are only required to turn in about half of what the Alliance turns in... ;) )
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Second turn in for Mageweave bandages netted me a blue neck item http://www.thottbot.com/?i=2962
This was my 57 mage turning stuff in , lower lvl greens for wool / copper etc , all in all I gained around 50 lvl 40 and above green items , and around 20 - 30 items to disenchant , plus alot of rep with the trolls , hit Revered now so around 20k for my raptor :) . One thing I wish is I had kept the 1000's of runecloth handed in so far at the clothmaster , would have got 25 rep more for every 20 if I had turned them into bandages , but how was I to know :(
Take care
Looking at the top 5 PvP and PvE servers, on each PvP the horde is ahead and on each PvE the alliance is ahead. Dunno what that means. I guess it is conventional wisdom that PvE servers are more out of balance alliance vs horde.
I got an Uther's Strength from one of the boxes for a rugged leather turn in on the horde side. Too bad it was on my hunter, that would be more fun on a shaman. Though it does have it's potential uses in a BG. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
KiloVictor,Jan 4 2006, 05:53 PM Wrote:The lucky(?) person that loots this is starting a faction grind in the hopes of becoming the person who reforges the mallet used to seal (and now unlock) the AQ gates. Fortunately, he can get help. For every 200 silithid fragments turned in, he gets 200 faction with the bronze dragonflight and, most importantly, one Proxy of the Nozdormu which allows him to deputize another person to collect fragments. AFAIK, only the person at the top of the pyramid can turn in fragments for rep and more Proxies, but it was late and I might not have understood that correctly. :)

Yes, that's correct. However, you only need neutral to get the next quest in the series, so you only need to get 42,000 reputation. You get 200 reputation for turning in a stack of 200 silithid fragments, so you only need to collect 42,000 fragments. Since you get around 2-3 fragments per elite kill, that's around 15-20,000 elite bugs you have to kill to fulfill the quest.

It's been quite amazing on Tichondrius. The Horde have really banded together to collect fragments for Natural, the guild leader of The Core. TAO has especially been helpful with PvP versus alliance but also members of other guilds like Grim Vengeance have been fantastic. The Core is paying other guilds 50g per 200 stack of fragments and offering major guilds like TAO other offerings of friendship and goodwill. It's different on the Alliance side, I understand, where three different guilds have people trying to work their reputations up. We're already at about 25,000 out of 42,000, whereas the Alliance are much lower -- like 15,000 or less. There are a lot of steps to take after the fragments are collected, too, though. A member posted what the Horde players have to do after they collect the fragments, but I'm resisting posting it, because a) All guild members were asked specifically not to pass the information along and b) I don't know if I believe it, since the list looks more like a joke -- invasions of Darnassus and Stormwind, collection of an arcanite fishing hook to summon another fishing boss, clearing BWL in 5 hours, and more? I'll post something more definitive when I feel like I can without breaking the guild's trust and when I'm more sure the information isn't just a joke.
Sure sounds like a joke. From the public forums, the next step seems to be to reach friendly. Then you are given a quest to get stuff from Azuregos, Valestraz, and Ericanus. Ericanus is done by gettin an item from each of the 4 portals, with 3 held by dragonkin, and the last by a satyr that wiped the floor with a 40man epic raid. Azuregos might be done by talking to his ghost after killing him.

Or so the rumor goes. Mine sounds more plausible then yours, especially since the lore posted on the main page says something about talking to all the dragonflights.

Edit: Also, the invasion of Darnissus thing might be that you need to talk to somebody _outside_ of Darnissus as part of the Ericanus summoning thing.
oldmandennis,Jan 6 2006, 01:17 PM Wrote:Sure sounds like a joke.  From the public forums, the next step seems to be to reach friendly.  Then you are given a quest to get stuff from Azuregos, Valestraz, and Ericanus.  Ericanus is done by gettin an item from each of the 4 portals, with 3 held by dragonkin, and the last by a satyr that wiped the floor with a 40man epic raid.  Azuregos might be done by talking to his ghost after killing him.

Or so the rumor goes.  Mine sounds more plausible then yours, especially since the lore posted on the main page says something about talking to all the dragonflights. 

Edit: Also, the invasion of Darnissus thing might be that you need to talk to somebody _outside_ of Darnissus as part of the Ericanus summoning thing.
[right][snapback]98826[/snapback][/right]

Yeah. Though FoH has reached Azuregos, and it seems either you talk to the ghost of Azuregos and barter, or you talk to Azuregos himself and can either persuade him to give you the piece, or kill him and take it. From the SS's, it looks like you talk to Azuregos directly.

The satyr was downed, apparently its a DPS based raid, since he grows more powerful with time and with every person he kills. For the Eranikus part, you first go to ST, and in front of the Shade of Eranikus is Malfurion. Eranikus's goal is to come into the real world, and kill Malfurion's body (while Malfy's trapped in the Emerald Dream). Malfurion says to go to Darn and then Moonglade, where you get the quest to get the four pieces of the portals. I assume after that, you will go to Moonglade and summon Eranikus, and proceed to wtfpwn him for his piece.

No one knows about the Vael piece. Some say he sticks around in UBRS longer then usual, and that may be where you need to speak to him. Others say you might need to be able to kill Vael or Nef (if Nef took the piece from Vael after he corrupted him) in order to get that piece. Friendly with Nozdomru will get you Anachronos's piece.

Cybit,Jan 6 2006, 05:51 PM Wrote:Yeah.  Though FoH has reached Azuregos, and it seems either you talk to the ghost of Azuregos and barter, or you talk to Azuregos himself and can either persuade him to give you the piece, or kill him and take it.  From the SS's, it looks like you talk to Azuregos directly. 

The satyr was downed, apparently its a DPS based raid, since he grows more powerful with time and with every person he kills.  For the Eranikus part, you first go to ST, and in front of the Shade of Eranikus is Malfurion.  Eranikus's goal is to come into the real world, and kill Malfurion's body (while Malfy's trapped in the Emerald Dream).  Malfurion says to go to Darn and then Moonglade, where you get the quest to get the four pieces of the portals.  I assume after that, you will go to Moonglade and summon Eranikus, and proceed to wtfpwn him for his piece. 

No one knows about the Vael piece.  Some say he sticks around in UBRS longer then usual, and that may be where you need to speak to him.  Others say you might need to be able to kill Vael or Nef (if Nef took the piece from Vael after he corrupted him) in order to get that piece.  Friendly with Nozdomru will get you Anachronos's piece.
[right][snapback]98839[/snapback][/right]

Update 2: The three quests for the dragons.

Eranikus: Farm the trash outside the dream portals/kill the satyr to get the four pieces. Then go to Moonglade, summon Eranikus, and proceed to wtfpwn him. Apparently this is a horde/alliance collaborative raid too. Get piece 1

Azuregos: Talk to Azuregos or Azuregos's spirit to get a giant quest to find the 8 pieces of the book "Dragonic for Dummies". Currently known pieces are located in:

Stormwind Library
UC Mage Quarter
BWL

Possible places:
UBRS
DM Library
BRD
Scholo
Strat
Ony
MC

It's assumed after gathering the pieces, you get the second piece.

Vaelastraz: No one knows. There have been reports that Vael's spirit lingers on in UBRS longer then before, perhaps to start the AQ chain. Nothing concrete on this part.

Cybit,Jan 6 2006, 06:51 PM Wrote:No one knows about the Vael piece.  Some say he sticks around in UBRS longer then usual, and that may be where you need to speak to him.  Others say you might need to be able to kill Vael or Nef (if Nef took the piece from Vael after he corrupted him) in order to get that piece.  Friendly with Nozdomru will get you Anachronos's piece.
[right][snapback]98839[/snapback][/right]

Isn't Vael chilling down in LBRS? -_-
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Dozer,Jan 7 2006, 01:27 PM Wrote:Isn't Vael chilling down in LBRS? -_-
[right][snapback]98872[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, whoops. :P

Anyway, apparently the Azuregos chain is really long. Look on the official WoW boards, but apparently the book is just one part of THREE for the Azuregos piece.

The Blizzard quest designers really outdid themselves on this chain. It's the longest, weirdest, wackiest, coolest quest chain ever. Reading some of the quest dialogues (especially for the Azuregos portion) is just hilarious.

Lord Lakmaeran finally serves a purpose in the world, which must make MJ smile.

No rumour seems too far-fetched now. :)

Chris
Good summary of the quest as known so far:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...56747&p=1&tmp=1

Our server is on the exactly same stage as the Mal'Ganis Guys from the thread above, and when I say our server, I mean our server, as the leading Raiding Guilds on Kil'Jaeden (EU) banded together for this quest, even bridiging faction differences between alliance and horde

Besides collecting ressources for the "War Effort" you must complete the "Scepter of the Shifting Sands" quest series to accquire said secpter. The linked thread above is about this series of quests as they are known so far.

Of course IFFHDS first get their own quest, looted the head of the Broodlord, Lashlayer in BWL and started to collect carapace fragments. Soon we found out however that the dreaded Anorhin guild from the Alliance Side, always one step in progression ahead of us, had already made some significant progress in this part, and so we decided, the opportunists we are, to cease our own efforts and support Anorhin on their quest. After all, the opening of the Scarab Wall would benefit all raiding guilds, whether Alliance or Horde ;)
So we traded our carapace fragments via the neutral AH to Anorhin and soon the first step was completed and we could all watch the "Flashback Scene" in front of the Scarab Wall.

Yesterday we farmed the three shrads of the corrupted dream from the green dragonkin together in a crossfactional raid. It was unbelievably chaotic but also so much fun, seeing members of guilds who wouldn't, under normal circumstances, spare a life of the other faction, suddenly fighting side by side. You have to remember that Kil'Jaeden (EU) is a PvP server, so everyone of the other faction is flagged red in contested territories, which also means he is instantly attackable and that means ...uhmm.. accidents are prone to happen :D

We coordinated our efforts over Anorhin Teamspeak and it was just hillarious with all the "victims of friendly fire" and general misunderstandings.

"Do not AE!!"
"oops sry"

"Whats the best route to Feralas?"
"Just fly via Thunderbluff"
"Thunderbluff? How funny. I'm Alliance"

We also came up with some creative uses of offensive gamemechanics for crossfactional raid support. It was late at night and the alliance side was a bit short on healers. Of course Horde healers can't heal Alliance targets, so we came up with the "sheep heal". As everyone knows when a target is sheeped you restore life at a very high rate. So every now and then you could hear someone over voice: "Sheep me" and a friendly Horde mage would sheep the poor Alliance in need of some healing.

Also the green dragonkin have the ability to sleep people. When someone was sleeped a friendly whack from one of the players of the opposing faction would wake him up immediatly.
Oh and of course I took the oppurtunity of mind controlling Alliance players, just to be able to whack some others. For the best of the common cause of course :whistling:
Melisandre: http://ctprofiles.net/371601

I'm not an addict ... maybe that's a lie.