Patch DL'er Woes
Title Typo: PATCH DL'er Woes...

So, patch is out, and the downloader still blows huge chunks of human and animal excrement.

What I'm wondering is, in previous patches, people were able to get the patch downloaded using BitTorrent clients other than the Blizzard one. Has anyone done this for this patch, and if not, how can I get at the latest WoW patch without having to use the super-slow (direct transfer) method and/or the super-crappily-implemented method (Bliz Downloader).

Sickens me that they haven't added an upload speed regulator yet. Ugh... It's Mickey Mouse man, Mickey Mouse.

EDIT: Typos in the title suck...
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
I'm using Blizz downloader, but I noticed this patch has a problem with my firewall and downloads very slowly, where previous patches did not.

My firewall configuration hasn't changed, that computer hasn't been shutdown or changed in over 6 months.

SOMETHING in Blizz DL has changed significantly. I didn't really worry about it, because I set it up for DL, then went to work... I mean, If I can't download the whole thing in 9 hours, then I have a real problem.

I just wanted to let you know that I have noticed something different with this version of the Blizz DL client.

I wholeheartedly agree about the upload capping deal. I can't understand how they can go so long without adding that feature.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
There's definitely something different in this version. Could be that they added some buggy UDP and/or UPnP code in there. Before, the Blizz client was able to penetrate the router and I had no problems downloading.

This time, however, the download took a good 2 hours before I restarted with my IP address as the DMZ. Once I exposed my IP address, the download went at a good enough speed, despite having my upload stream be saturated. I got randomly disconnected from the 'net twice, though. Don't you just love it when BitTorrent clients cause your internet connection to grind to a halt?

Well, at least I got it. It's patching now. Here's hoping that, because I was the DMZ during the download, that the last blocks weren't corrupted, as they sometimes are in DMZ mode, causing me to download it again...

"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Jan 3 2006, 04:39 PM Wrote:There's definitely something different in this version. Could be that they added some buggy UDP and/or UPnP code in there. Before, the Blizz client was able to penetrate the router and I had no problems downloading.

This time, however, the download took a good 2 hours before I restarted with my IP address as the DMZ. Once I exposed my IP address, the download went at a good enough speed, despite having my upload stream be saturated. I got randomly disconnected from the 'net twice, though. Don't you just love it when BitTorrent clients cause your internet connection to grind to a halt?

Well, at least I got it. It's patching now. Here's hoping that, because I was the DMZ during the download, that the last blocks weren't corrupted, as they sometimes are in DMZ mode, causing me to download it again...
[right][snapback]98616[/snapback][/right]

Not that it probably helps a whole lot but technically speaking this was my best Blizzard patch experience ever. Just a few minutes, 100 KB upload and download. I feel your pain however as a recent patch took days.

The steps that I needed:

1.) Turn off router TCP and UDP flood detection. In the past my router mistook the downloader as a denial of service attack.

2.) Open the downloader ports for both outbound and inbound.

3.) Replace faulty memory.

All is not joy here at the moment as another computer died this morning. I suspect one of the CPU fans has failed. At least it is not the machine with World of Warcraft!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I just get the patch from other places and avoid the Blizz DLer all together. There's the obvious ones like FilePlanet, FileFront and whatnot but X-Fire has all the patches up pretty quickly for download and is damned convientent as a messaging system while playing games.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
JustAGuy,Jan 3 2006, 12:35 PM Wrote:EDIT: Typos in the title suck...

Fixed.

Filefront rocks. I downloaded the patch in two minutes, and I don't have a subscription. I don't know how they make money off me, but I'm not complaining.