Blackwing Lair: The Movie
http://www.curse-gaming.com/movie.php?movid=59

I don't know if any of you have seen this already. Basically an A-grade, incredibly-well-done movie showing all the boss fights of BWL. But it's more than just a fight video, it's just...amazing. Incredibly entertaining to watch. It's clear that dozens of hours were taken to put it all together. Just the Vael encounter alone is stunning. Watching this will get you so pumped to play BWL :)

Obviously lots of spoilers showing the boss encounters, NPC speeches, etc. But there's lots to be learned from the videos, even if they are mostly entertainment value.

A 450 meg download. Totally worth it. Probably the best instance video I've ever seen.

The best part? The Priest giving the order to charge against Nefarius. That's how it should be, yeah!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
WoW! Great movie.
http://ctprofiles.net/24532 <-- Bhak lvl 60 Priest
OK, call me silly, but I have just spent well over a minute trying to lcate were to press to download the movie on that page (without using a mirror, then it is easy) but can't find a single place to click on to do that.

Second, despite stating no codec needed it states it is "real" in the description (why state none if one is obviously needed???). I recall downloading this before, is it in real format? I absolutely hate that and won't install it if needed.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Blackwing Lair done by the guild Empire

is a very well done BWL tour! I remember that someone here already posted the link to the first episode. The second and the third are also great stuff.

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Jarulf,Dec 28 2005, 05:26 AM Wrote:OK, call me silly, but I have just spent well over a minute trying to lcate were to press to download the movie on that page (without using a mirror, then it is easy) but can't find a single place to click on to do that.

Second, despite stating no codec needed it states it is "real" in the description (why state none if one is obviously needed???). I recall downloading this before, is it in real format? I absolutely hate that and won't install it if needed.
[right][snapback]98132[/snapback][/right]

Not sure about "real" in the description, but I paniced when I say the file extension. Then I remembered that the .rar extension is for the WinRAR (or related) compression utility. Will check back after the three hours it says it will take to download.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Dec 28 2005, 03:05 PM Wrote:Not sure about "real" in the description, but I paniced when I say the file extension.&nbsp; Then I remembered that the .rar extension is for the WinRAR (or related) compression utility.&nbsp; Will check back after the three hours it says it will take to download.
[right][snapback]98138[/snapback][/right]

It is a .rm extension which goes with the "real" needed, which I don't like.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Dec 28 2005, 11:24 AM Wrote:It is a .rm extension which goes with the "real" needed, which I don't like.
[right][snapback]98143[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you Jarulf, but try googling for Real Alternative. It's a player I stumbled across which is free/clean and plays .rm files fine.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Entertaining to watch WoW instance walkthrough, with a nicely done, semi-profeesional direction and editing :)

It would be even better if the scenes had either a narrator or text blocks that explain what is special or interesting in the different boss encounters. As a BWL newbie I felt somewhat lost watching all the fights in a row with no guide whatsoever. One could "explain" the different enconuters using silent movie photography techniques that make silent scenes basically self-explaining, but that would require some serious directing knowledge and will probably not be possible using WoW's camera and editing software anyway.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Magicbag,Dec 28 2005, 03:55 PM Wrote:I agree with you Jarulf, but try googling for Real Alternative.&nbsp; It's a player I stumbled across which is free/clean and plays .rm files fine.
-MB
[right][snapback]98144[/snapback][/right]
The "Real Alternative" player is included in the RAR download file. It even uninstalls RealPlayer if it already exists on your system ;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Jarulf,Dec 28 2005, 11:24 AM Wrote:It is a .rm extension which goes with the "real" needed, which I don't like.
[right][snapback]98143[/snapback][/right]

You are correct sir. I didn't see the .rm until I unpacked the .rar file, but you are correct.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Another thing I just noticed:

In the phase 1 part of the Razorgore video, you can see Priests getting owned left and right. Looks like they're using a very similar strategy as Avarice does, although of course they have the edge with the Earthbind totems. See their warrior using Intimidating Shout? Maybe we should give that a try.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Dec 28 2005, 09:59 PM Wrote:Another thing I just noticed:

In the phase 1 part of the Razorgore video, you can see Priests getting owned left and right.&nbsp; Looks like they're using a very similar strategy as Avarice does, although of course they have the edge with the Earthbind totems.&nbsp; See their warrior using Intimidating Shout?&nbsp; Maybe we should give that a try.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]98202[/snapback][/right]

All of our kiters have when something has gotten a little off for them. We keep it in the arsenal but it's not the first tool we go for. :)

Though this is probably something more for the mage killers to use more frequently with the way we do it. I don't know how much they use it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Bolty,Dec 28 2005, 09:59 PM Wrote:In the phase 1 part of the Razorgore video, you can see Priests getting owned left and right.&nbsp; Looks like they're using a very similar strategy as Avarice does, although of course they have the edge with the Earthbind totems.&nbsp; See their warrior using Intimidating Shout?&nbsp; Maybe we should give that a try.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]98202[/snapback][/right]

They lose quite a few people during the Razorgore fight, indeed. Spirit of Redemption (which I hear experienced Priest players are calling the Improved Dying talent nowadays) makes an excellent "I'm Dead" flag, but they lose some non-priests, as well. It's important to keep in mind that these deaths show that the video is illustrating sub-optimal kills, not that deaths are inevitable. It is possible to, barring errors, complete the encounter end-to-end without a single fatality. Things Go Wrong, of course, but the video shouldn't serve to discourage people from aiming high.

As for Intimidating Shout, it works really well - but even better when combined with Razorgore's Fireball Volley ability. Not only does it shoot a fireball at every mob in the room, but it acts as an enormous AE taunt. Those fireballs generate a hellacious amount of aggro, easily enough to peel every melee mob in the room on to Razorgore. A warrior needs only move next to Razorgore and drop his shout to send every single melee mob scattering. What's more, after the fear ends, the mobs will typically re-aggro on Razorgore, meaning that once they all return, another warrior can be waiting there to scatter them all again. Chaining Intimidating Shouts end-to-end can buy thirty to forty seconds of time to crack eggs. Of course, since IS is on a 10 minute cooldown, this isn't a tactic to be used early. After all, once all the shouts are down, everything will pile on Razorgore and kill him in rather short order, ending the encounter in defeat.

Of course, really skilled orb controllers can proceed to manually drop control, transferring the gained aggro to himself, and play a few more games to buy time. They don't usually last more than ten seconds and tend to end up getting the controller killed, but ten seconds is two whole egg breaks if you really need the time.
Skandranon,Dec 29 2005, 03:26 AM Wrote:They lose quite a few people during the Razorgore fight, indeed.&nbsp; Spirit of Redemption (which I hear experienced Priest players are calling the Improved Dying talent nowadays) makes an excellent "I'm Dead" flag, but they lose some non-priests, as well.[right][snapback]98219[/snapback][/right]
Spirit of Redemption is a useless talent. I have never, ever, ever, once seen it save a wipe. Its only use is, as you say, a white flag to the raid saying "Lookie here, a Priest just got obliterated, which is bad, so heads up."

The talent should be modified, and there's been many good suggestions on how to make it more useful on the WoW Priest forums without making it overpowered. Something along the lines of making it good enough to discourage enemy groups from gang-tackling the Priest at the start of every engagement in PvP, because if the talent kicks in it makes their lives tough...which right now it fails to do in any shape or form.

-Bolty
Gnollguy,Dec 29 2005, 12:12 AM Wrote:Though this is probably something more for the mage killers to use more frequently with the way we do it.&nbsp; I don't know how much they use it.
[right][snapback]98215[/snapback][/right]

On Shal I intimidating shout when things go wrong™ or to break up a priest kite.
Bolty,Dec 29 2005, 05:56 AM Wrote:Spirit of Redemption is a useless talent.&nbsp; I have never, ever, ever, once seen it save a wipe.&nbsp; Its only use is, as you say, a white flag to the raid saying "Lookie here, a Priest just got obliterated, which is bad, so heads up."
[right][snapback]98223[/snapback][/right]
It has it's uses in 5 man though. It has saved wipes for Aleri a couple of times. If you have a warlock with you and a soulstone up, it's a great talent. You die, everyone gets healed, you pop back up with more mana and life than you did before, continue healing. Of course, it's not something you want to rely on, but it's still handy to have in 5 mans. Sure, it may mean that the priest has to do a run back, but the group doesn't wipe. Spirit of Redemption is most definitely not a useless talent. For raiding at 60 it's not really worth it, but growing up in 5 mans it is.
Intolerant monkey.
Bolty,Dec 29 2005, 03:56 AM Wrote:Spirit of Redemption is a useless talent.&nbsp; I have never, ever, ever, once seen it save a wipe.&nbsp; Its only use is, as you say, a white flag to the raid saying "Lookie here, a Priest just got obliterated, which is bad, so heads up."

The talent should be modified, and there's been many good suggestions on how to make it more useful on the WoW Priest forums without making it overpowered.&nbsp; Something along the lines of making it good enough to discourage enemy groups from gang-tackling the Priest at the start of every engagement in PvP, because if the talent kicks in it makes their lives tough...which right now it fails to do in any shape or form.

I always throw a point into it whenever I'm holy spec'd. Mind you, it's not an overpowering talent, but I've seen it help enough times to be worth one point. In PvP, I look at it as, "Well, at least I got to heal *somebody*!" :P In 5-mans, I've also seen it help on occation -- admittedly, not enough to slobber over it, but if you already have the precursor points spent in the holy tree, then a throw-in point to SoR is OK. It would be nice to have it buffed, though. Maybe have the chance to randomly combat rez someone close by? *shrug*