Lifestealing Enchant in Patch 1.9
While reading the notes (from the test server) about patch 1.9, I stumbled across the following small, but probably important note:

Quote:- The Lifestealing enchantment now does shadow damage rather than fire damage.

Two questions:

1.) I was surprised that the lifestealing enchant does any form of elemental damage at all. So what are the mechanics behind the procs? Is there elemental damage dealt (fire, and in patch 1.9 shadow instead) and that damage (or a certain percentage of it) transformed into life leech?

2.) Everyone on the forums of Thottbot or Allakhazam has been raving about how well this enchant works, especially for Rogues. Knowing Blizzard too well by now, I assume that this change from fire to shadow damage represents a significant nerf for the actual portion of life that is currently leeched. Am I correct, and if, why would it be a nerf? Are monsters generally more shadow than fire resitant?
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Dec 17 2005, 05:10 PM Wrote:While reading the notes (from the test server) about patch 1.9, I stumbled across the following small, but probably important note:
Two questions:

1.) I was surprised that the lifestealing enchant does any form of elemental damage at all. So what are the mechanics behind the procs? Is there elemental damage dealt (fire, and in patch 1.9 shadow instead) and that damage (or a certain percentage of it) transformed into life leech?

2.) Everyone on the forums of Thottbot or Allakhazam has been raving about how well this enchant works, especially for Rogues. Knowing Blizzard too well by now, I assume that this change from fire to shadow damage represents a significant nerf for the actual portion of life that is currently leeched. Am I correct, and if, why would it be a nerf? Are monsters generally more shadow than fire resitant?
[right][snapback]97385[/snapback][/right]

It's not a nerf, it's a buff. Most mobs in MC and BWL are fire immune. Most players have more fire than shadow resistance as well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Dec 17 2005, 10:14 PM Wrote:It's not a nerf, it's a buff.  Most mobs in MC and BWL are fire immune.  Most players have more fire than shadow resistance as well.
[right][snapback]97386[/snapback][/right]
Oh .. so the recipe would be even better in patch 1.9? :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Dec 17 2005, 05:10 PM Wrote:1.) I was surprised that the lifestealing enchant does any form of elemental damage at all. So what are the mechanics behind the procs? Is there elemental damage dealt (fire, and in patch 1.9 shadow instead) and that damage (or a certain percentage of it) transformed into life leech?

Yes. 30 base damage. It can have vulnerability bonuses (I've gotten 42 or something procs). More importantly, it can resist. And as a fire, it resisted (or was flat out immune) quite often. The exact damage done is the exact life recieved.

Quote:2.) Everyone on the forums of Thottbot or Allakhazam has been raving about how well this enchant works, especially for Rogues. Knowing Blizzard too well by now, I assume that this change from fire to shadow damage represents a significant nerf for the actual portion of life that is currently leeched. Am I correct, and if, why would it be a nerf? Are monsters generally more shadow than fire resitant?
[right][snapback]97385[/snapback][/right]

Like GG said, it's a buff. Mob and player resistance leads to fire, not shadow, typically. Lifestealing was a practical waste in MC, which was a shame because on paper (for Rogues) it's about equal to Crusader. Less damage overall, but it procs more often (more consistent DPS), gives life back, and doesn't depend on the battle still continuing for 10 seconds to get the full benefit.

Besides the fact that is was fire damage, the biggest flaw in Lifesteal is wasted procs. It's quite common to have it proc on the killing blow. In that case, it will add the damage to the mob (which is already dead anyway), but it will leech 0 life.

I have since moved on to having +5 damage on my mainhand. It benefits all melee, but it really benefits backstab damage. Combat rogues wouldn't be served as well by this enchant, however. +15 agility has been my offhand of choice since it went in.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!