Speaking of December Holidays
16 December is Ludwig van Beethoven's birthday, or his presumed birthday.

"Beethoven was baptized on the 17th december, 1770, and is probably born the the 16th of december, 1770" (from A Beethoven Friendly Site)

In honor of his musical genius, I encourage all Lurkers to do something Beethovenesque, or Beethoven related, if possible today.

Some suggestions . . .

1. Sing the Ode to Joy while showering, or while driving home from work. It's a nicer tune than "Thank the Good Lord It's Friday."

2. Play the opening bars of Beethoven's fifth when you win a BG match in WoW.

3. Plead The (Beethoven's) Fifth when your wife asks you what that lipstick is doing on your collar. It was a piano recital, honey, really, and Elise's lipstick got on my collar by accident when I stooped to help her get some punch -- What are you doing with that frying pan -- OUCH!

4. Drink a bit of schnapps from Beethoven's Fifth, the special bottle in your liquor cabinet

5. Play Beethoven's Third Symphony at full blast at the office, claiming it will inspire you to early-Napoleonic successes. (Particularly poignant if your boss has a Napoleon complex!)

6. Watch "A Clockwork Orange" tonight on DvD, for a sideways look at old Ludwig Van.

7. Sit in front of the fire with your one and only, a glass of peppermint schnapps in each of your hands, while listening to the soft background music of Für Elise or the Moonlight Sonata.

8. Dig out a copy of Fidelio his only opera, as a counterpoint to Christmas Music one may be bombarded with. Complain about the hash the conductor made of the musical score. :wacko:

9. Wear your "Beethoven PWNS Stravinski's nOOb 4$$" T-shirt to the local record store. What, you don't have one? :unsure:

10. Play chopsticks on the piano as your tribute to his virtuoso piano playing. Admit you made a hash of it.

11. (Hey, this is the Spinal Tap Beethoven tribute, we go to 11)
Write down whatever the voices in your head are saying. Present them to a live audience. It worked for Robin Williams, and look at what that did for Beethoven? The Ninth Symphony! :lol:

Herzliche Grüsten, Ludwig

Occhi

EDIT for lousy typing. I made a hash of it. :P
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
In honor of his birthday, I listened to his 9th Symphony after getting out of the shower in preparation for dressing. Thanks for the heads up Occhi, I don't listen to him enough.

I really feel as though people don't give his work enough credit. Too many people hear "classical music" and just instantly turn their ears off. There's so much power and feeling to his music that it just envelops you. If more people actually gave Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. a chance I think that they would be pleasantly surprised.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
I strongly suggest watching John Belushi portray him in a very old SNL skit, or actually several short skits that ran during one episode in the 1st season.

-A
It was Capcom's 1996 classic cult game Resident Evil for the Playstation which introduced me to the lovely world of classical music. In the game, in order to open a secret room, the hero (or heroine) has to play a section from The Moonlight Sonata on the grand piano by the bar. Whenever I hear the piece, it reminds me the most terrifying gaming experience of my childhood and provides me with lots of goosebumpy goodness.

I actually have a version where some clever chap re-arranged the piece with an additional string-section atop the gothic piano. I'm not sure if I prefer that version to the original, but it's a nice change when you're tired of the original. (Should that moment ever come.)

Also, the wind in Alan Rickman's hair as he opens the vault in the original Die Hard to the pompous climax of Beethoven's symphonic masterpiece, is pure joy (One might say, it's an "Ode to J... oh never mind, that bit's dead!). Die Hard without Beethoven is like ... *looks around the room* ... a printer without paper, or a juicebox without the juice.

Damn. Thirsty!

To end the post with a quote. A great man once said

Fever gone but itchy.
Hungry and eat doggie food.
Itchy itchy Scott came.
Ugly face so killed him.
Tasty.

*sigh* The jollies of youth.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Dec 16 2005, Wrote:Also, the wind in Alan Rickman's hair as he opens the vault in the original Die Hard to the pompous climax of Beethoven's symphonic masterpiece, is pure joy (One might say, it's an "Ode to J... oh never mind, that bit's dead!). Die Hard without Beethoven is like ... *looks around the room* ... a printer without paper, or a juicebox without the juice.
[right][snapback]97338[/snapback][/right]
The best scene in the movie! If I'm watching it on the tube and I happen to miss that scene, it feels like I've wasted my time watching the movie. It's good to hear someone else can appreciate such an awe inspiring scene. ;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."