Ranged Shield Damage
Winterfall Pathfinders are unusual in that if attacked at range they will return bow fire and never move to melee distance. For this reason they make good target practice. Over the last week or two Fafner skilled up her bows and crossbows to 300. In the course of this she noticed that the hapless distant furbolg was often impaled upon her Thorium Shield spike. Indeed, every time the Pathfinder's shoot was blocked.

Fafner has pretty average length arms for a girl gnome, and she does not understand how this is happening.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Dec 14 2005, 01:17 AM Wrote:Winterfall Pathfinders are unusual in that if attacked at range they will return bow fire and never move to melee distance.  For this reason they make good target practice.  Over the last week or two Fafner skilled up her bows and crossbows to 300.  In the course of this she noticed that the hapless distant furbolg was often impaled upon her Thorium Shield spike.  Indeed, every time the Pathfinder's shoot was blocked.

Fafner has pretty average length arms for a girl gnome, and she does not understand how this is happening.
[right][snapback]97006[/snapback][/right]

From the 1.9 patch notes:
# Shield Spikes - Shield Spike damage will no longer occur on ranged blocks.
LavCat,Dec 14 2005, 01:17 AM Wrote:Winterfall Pathfinders are unusual in that if attacked at range they will return bow fire and never move to melee distance.  For this reason they make good target practice.  Over the last week or two Fafner skilled up her bows and crossbows to 300.  In the course of this she noticed that the hapless distant furbolg was often impaled upon her Thorium Shield spike.  Indeed, every time the Pathfinder's shoot was blocked.

[right][snapback]97006[/snapback][/right]

As mentioned, this is changing in 1.9.

Currently, though, the shield spike acts as a buff that reflects damage anytime you block ANYTHING, regardless of the distance. I've actually killed low-level Hunters with my shield spike before :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.