Trolls of a Feather
At level 52 Warlocks can do the class-specific Trolls of a Feather quest given by Impsy in Felwood. The rewards are nice and actually useful for any level 52-60 Warlock, no matter which reward you pick. And here comes the problem: They are ALL nice, so which one of the three (Soul Harvester, Robes of Servitude or Abyss Shard) and why would you pick it?

Before you make your choice, some words about the items:

The Soul Harvester does not only have nice stats but it also has a very cool look especially interesting for a Warlock as it looks like a scythe. This is probably the most popular pick because of that look, even though there are better staves available to the Warlock later.

The Robes of Servitude has very nice stats for the level and is on par with the popular level 57 epic BOP Robe of the Void. The mix of both fire and shadow damage amplification instead of just shadow damage improvement might make it even the better choice for certain Warlock builds.

The last item is a nice Warlock trinket called Abyss Shard which allows you to cast your Summon Voidwalker spell with no mana or Soul Shard requirements. The cooldown is a long 30 minutes though, and the casting time a long 10 seconds.

Make your pick and say why!

Being a "style guy", my favorite would be the "Soul Harvester" staff with a nice orange "Demonslaying" glow enchantment on it later :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I plan to get the Abyss Shard simply because its the only item that won't get replaced with better gear in a few levels.

The Soul Harvester look is cool, but the Rod of the Ogre Magi isn't hard to get from DM North Tribute runs.

The Robes of Servititude are on about on par with the Robes of Everlasting Night from DM West. Robe of the Void has twice as much shadow damage.

I would probably use the Shard most when farming for shards - when I'm down to a ocuple of shards I dislike wasting one summoning a tanking pet.

Chris
My warlock is nearing this level, and I've been thinking this over as well.

It is a hard choice. Being that I am in a guild that both farms MC (though we haven't downed Ragnaros yet), and is really, really low on warlocks, the really nice epic replacements to the staff and robe are pretty easily available to me. But with the abyss shard... I usually just forget to use anything of that sort. It just ends up gathering dust. The trinket would be the most logical choice, but I'd probably never use it. And I've already got a Robe of the Void waiting for me to hit level 57, so I really don't have much reason to pick the robe. Thus, scythe. Or so my decision has gone so far.
I chose the robe.

The staff is okay, but I considered it a very marginal upgrade compared to the focal sword from Maraudon + a situational off-hand (+int/stam or +damage). It's definitely the coolest looking and almost took it purely for the looks.

I had crappy robes and the warlock is an alt who doesn't see a lot of instance play, so this was the best for me. It is probably something that will not be replaced for a while on that character. There are eventually better things, but this is a level ~50 quest, you can't expect them to be endgame items.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a lot of use in the trinket. But I'm not afraid to use my imp for shard gathering, and usually prefer the DPS of the succy to the void anyway.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
The staff is nice, robe is fine too, but you will get better stuff further in your career. But you will NEVER get a trinket like that.

I don´t use it at the moment, but I have it in my backpack. I think it´s fine for pvp and might save you in pve, if you were clever enough to equip it.

On the other hand the staff is just looking great ;-)
Icebird,Dec 13 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:I plan to get the Abyss Shard simply because its the only item that won't get replaced with better gear in a few levels. ...
I don't think the shard is worth it to pass up the scythe or robe. If the free Voidwalker would be available every 10 minutes, that'd be ok, but every 30 minutes? Sounds to me like yet nother useful-at-first-glance-but-actually-not-so-useful item that you can find in WoW. I'm still puzzled why they literally destroyed the 30-arcanite-bars epic armor Invulnerable Mail in patch 1.6. I'm seeing the same senseless concept in the trinket. It pretends to be a powerful, unique item but actually isn't.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Its a free shardless VW sacrifice / d.sacrifice. Free shield! Free health regen! That's useful in long instance runs, especially when shards become scarce. However, that only really matters to the 20/40 man raiders. More useful to heavy demonology locks than others builds. I can definitely imagine using it for Onyxia, where shards are scarce, and stamina eventually matters more--and since d.sacrificed VW regen scales upward with higher overall health... Very nice indeed.

Personally, I already have plenty of "bad-ass" look items, since I've instanced everything to death--but it would still be nice to have the rest on alts.
nobbie,Dec 13 2005, 11:56 AM Wrote:At level 52 Warlocks can do the class-specific Trolls of a Feather quest given by Impsy in Felwood. The rewards are nice and actually useful for any level 52-60 Warlock, no matter which reward you pick. And here comes the problem: They are ALL nice, so which one of the three (Soul Harvester, Robes of Servitude or Abyss Shard) and why would you pick it?

Before you make your choice, some words about the items:

The Soul Harvester does not only have nice stats but it also has a very cool look especially interesting for a Warlock as it looks like a scythe. This is probably the most popular pick because of that look, even though there are better staves available to the Warlock later.

The Robes of Servitude has very nice stats for the level and is on par with the popular level 57 epic BOP Robe of the Void. The mix of both fire and shadow damage amplification instead of just shadow damage improvement might make it even the better choice for certain Warlock builds.

The last item is a nice Warlock trinket called Abyss Shard which allows you to cast your Summon Voidwalker spell with no mana or Soul Shard requirements. The cooldown is a long 30 minutes though, and the casting time a long 10 seconds.

Make your pick and say why!

Being a "style guy", my favorite would be the "Soul Harvester" staff with a nice orange "Demonslaying" glow enchantment on it later :)
[right][snapback]96926[/snapback][/right]

Shard because you will never get another item like it unlike the Robe and Staff. This is also why I took the Diamond Flask on my Warrior, won't be another item like it.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Dec 14 2005, 01:39 PM Wrote:Shard because you will never get another item like it unlike the Robe and Staff.  This is also why I took the Diamond Flask on my Warrior, won't be another item like it.
[right][snapback]97081[/snapback][/right]
I found the warrior choice to be particularly difficult. I was able to discount the hat, personally, because I was already drawing near my goal of having a Lionheart Helm crafted.

However, the flask versus the shoulders is a very tough decision for a Fury warrior. +1% chance to hit is very, VERY nice for a Fury warrior since it helps even out your damage (and it directly adds 1% to your DPS until you have +5% to hit from items) and rage generation. are better, offensively, than the [url=http://www.thottbot.com/?i=51155]Bloodsoaked Pauldrons that my warrior still uses. On the other hand, offensive trinkets are often difficult to come by and the flask is a very nice grinding trinket for a warrior.

In the end, I took the Diamond Flask, too, because I figured it would help cut down on my down time while grinding up cash as I was gearing up (which it did), but now that I have picked up the Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom, I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking the shoulders because they, too, are fairly unique. Of course, Thottbot seems to indicate that you can pick up similar shoulders in Silithus (Abyssal Plate Epaulets), so maybe I can pick those up from there. However, I don't believe I have ever seen these about and I'm not sure, exactly, what to kill to find them. :)
-TheDragoon
I'm in the same warlocky boat in that I have to make a decision on what quest reward to take. I kind of had my heart set on the scythe because it looks so cool, but in all honesty it's not that much better than my dagger of stamina + umbral crystal combo I'm currently using. The robes are a nice upgrade from my Enchanted Gold Bloodrobes (obtained at level 35- I sure got my money's worth!) but I'll be making a Robe of the Void at level 57. The trinket is certainly unique, but how often will I be grinding where I don't have at least 1 shard to "waste" on a VW? The trinket improves if I am specced demonology but I'm a big fan of my current affliction spec.

I think I've decided on the scythe.

Another question: what items should I be looking for to replace it once I can run the higher instances? I know about the Rod of the Ogre Magi, but are there more warlock-specific staves/swords/daggers?
I'd say the soul harvester just because shards are never much of a problem for me. Bag space however, is...and one more trash trinket would just get annoying :)
mr.white,Dec 15 2005, 09:09 AM Wrote:I'd say the soul harvester just because shards are never much of a problem for me. Bag space however, is...
The bag problem should be less annoying after patch 1.9 when 20- to 28-slot shard container become available. This makes the "free shard" feature of the trinket already less useful, and I guess it's only a matter of time when the whole trinket is almost useless (thinking of new Warlock talents in the expansion) :)
I'm torn

I think the Soul Harvester look is fabulous. If I were to use the character to help low level friends I'd definitely want to be able to have the scythe look available

As a pvper though I really rate the trinket for pvp. It's basically a 2K damage shield. Many pvp one on one fights turn into simple contests of endurance and this would turn many such a fight. This may not be relevant to you, Nobbie, of course. If you do any pvp, even instanced battlegrounds, then it's something to consider
Brista,Dec 15 2005, 08:47 AM Wrote:Many pvp one on one fights turn into simple contests of endurance and this would turn many such a fight. This may not be relevant to you, Nobbie, of course. If you do any pvp, even instanced battlegrounds, then it's something to consider
[right][snapback]97172[/snapback][/right]

How are you ever going to have a chance to cast a 10 second spell in 1 on 1 PvP?
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Here's my final choice, with a +9 Intellect enchant (yellow glow in the game). I'm now saving money for an upgrade to +22 Intellect :D

[Image: WoW_Hel_with_Soul_Harvester.jpg]
Concillian,Dec 15 2005, 05:25 PM Wrote:How are you ever going to have a chance to cast a 10 second spell in 1 on 1 PvP?
[right][snapback]97221[/snapback][/right]

Abyss shard looks fun for certain graveyard aoe zergs....
Sorry I overlooked the casting time. Still useful in battlegrounds and raid pvp
Soul Harvester - This thing looks more badass than Staff of the Shadow Flame. Sure, it will get replaced, but not for coolness factor!
My other mount is a Spiderdrake
I picked up the flask. The shoulders simply aren't good enough. There are plenty of better options if you're hurting for +hit, and there are many other shoulders with superior stats. The helm is literally a watered-down Lionheart Helm.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.