Computer problems, again
Hi,

Now I have some computer problems again and I thought someone here might now something about it. I recently bought myself a new hard disc, goofed a bit and bought a SATA one thinking my computer could handle it while it could not. Well, no problem, I then bought myself a control card to conect it to and it seems everything worked fine. I installed the card, the dirvers (I assume that was what I installed), connected the hard disc and had windows add, format and set it up. Everything worked fine. I could use it perfectly.

However, every now and then (say 30% of the time) when I start my coputer, the hard drive doesn't turn up at all in windows. Looking at the systenm components of windows it shows the control card and tells it works perfectly, there is just no hard disc.

So what is the problem? Something with the hard disc? Or with the card? or drivers? The card is Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid controller and the hard disc is a 200 (something) maxtor sata disc.

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Common Windows problem. Probably just a fluke ion the horrible OS that is Windows.

Try any of the following remedies. One or more are almost guaranteed to work:
- Reboot.
- Disconnect the SATA cable and reconnect it, making sure to have firm contact.
- Disconnect the power cable and reconnect it, making sure to have firm contact.
- When placing the drive and cable(s), make sure they are not bent too much, especially at the "plug" ends, so as to provide the most optimal contact.
- Search for software driver or firmware updates at the HD and SATA card manufacturer sites.
- Check Windows Update for any updates involving HDs, SATA, etc.

To be frank, there's no guaranteed fix to your problem. To that end, there's no guaranteed diagnosis to your problem. And if there is, I've never seen it in all my years. I've seen the same thing happen with drives I've had connected for months and years, and any of the following have usually helped clear it up. But the basic fact is, electronics break, and software is a VERY imperfect science. Just something we have to live with. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*