Altoids tin "creative uses"
Hi,

I guess I've been oblivious again - a whole movement has taken place over the past few years of which I've been sinfully unaware. :blush:

Hmmm, maybe blissfully unaware is more appropriate... :P

Apparently, people have taken to making things out of empty Altoids tins, and earlier this year, Altoids sponsored a contest for the most creative uses:

http://www.altoids.com/index.aspx?area=TIN

http://news.com.com/Once+an+Altoids+tin,+n..._3-5979231.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-5979235-1.html

http://www.ladyada.net/make/minty/

Hmmm, let's see, there should be some use for this thing in the Diablo realm shouldn't there?

[picks up copy of JG, which is still near my computer, even though I haven't played D1 in a couple of years... but one of these days...]

'tin' prefix fits on jewelry... [qlvl 3]

hmmm, not many 'negative' suffixes, how about "of Light?" [qlvl 4, those should go together, shouldn't they?]

Build a flashlight inside the tin, with a bulb sticking out one end or the cover, and a switch somewhere...

Punch a hole in each side near one end, thread a leather cord through the holes & tie the ends together...

voila, what every BNM needs, a Tin Amulet of Light!

<I never buy Altoids, so I couldn't actually make one of these to show you>

All right, rather lame, I know, let's see if you can come up with something better!

Regards,

Dako-ta

There once was an old man from Esser,
Who's knowledge grew lesser and lesser.
It at last grew so small,
He knew nothing at all,
And now he's a College Professor.

:whistling:

The Altoids "tingle" is also good for other things.

**Wink wink nudge nudge**

You can use them to spice up your sex life.

:rolleyes:

:w00t:
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 11 2005, 03:17 PM Wrote:The Altoids "tingle" is also good for other things.

**Wink wink nudge nudge**

You can use them to spice up your sex life.

:rolleyes:

:w00t:
[right][snapback]96753[/snapback][/right]

At the risk of being a pain in the neck, we could have done without that.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 11 2005, 06:44 PM Wrote:At the risk of being a pain in the neck, we could have done without that.

Occhi
[right][snapback]96756[/snapback][/right]

Occhi, of all people... I am shocked.

Is the randy ribald rogue blushing?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 11 2005, 06:16 PM Wrote:Occhi, of all people... I am shocked.

[right][snapback]96762[/snapback][/right]

Nah, head shaking over the speed with which a topic was derailed toward Scatologialand.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I rather suspect that the equivilent to Altoids in the UK are Marks & Spencer's Curiously Strong Mints™. A little bit of nitroglycerein in a white confectionary.

The tins look near enough identical in structure. I'm also addicted to said mints. I have a stack of empty tins I've been wondering what to do with.

Hmm.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi,

NiteFox,Dec 12 2005, 12:57 PM Wrote:I rather suspect that the equivilent to Altoids in the UK are Marks & Spencer's Curiously Strong Mints™.&nbsp; A little bit of nitroglycerein in a white confectionary.

The tins look near enough identical in structure.&nbsp; I'm also addicted to said mints.&nbsp; I have a stack of empty tins I've been wondering what to do with.

Hmm.
[right][snapback]96786[/snapback][/right]

Curious. I thought Altoids were made in the UK, so I went back to the Altoids site, and found if you look close at the tin at the Altoids site, it clearly says "Made in Great Britain" and "Curiously Strong Peppermints!" I wonder if this is just a case of renaming for the US market or something. I wonder if Altoids aren't made by Marks & Spencers, I have a vague memory of seeing that name somewhere (though they probably make other things, which I might be thinking of - soaps, maybe?).

Anyway, put on your thinking cap, and find some way to use them. Sounds like fun. :)

Regards,

Dako-ta
Dako-ta,Dec 12 2005, 08: Wrote:Curious. I thought Altoids were made in the UK, so I went back to the Altoids site, and found if you look close at the tin at the Altoids site, it clearly says "Made in Great Britain" and "Curiously Strong Peppermints!" I wonder if this is just a case of renaming for the US market or something. I wonder if Altoids aren't made by Marks & Spencers, I have a vague memory of seeing that name somewhere (though they probably make other things, which I might be thinking of - soaps, maybe?).
[right][snapback]96826[/snapback][/right]
Back o' the pack: Ingredients Sugar, Thickener E414, Peppermint Oil, Gelatine, Glucose Syrup.

Made in the UK © Marks and Spencer p.l.c., Baker Street London, W1A 1DN.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I am horribly addicted to the pepperminty little bastards.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 11 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:Occhi, of all people... I am shocked.

[right][snapback]96762[/snapback][/right]

If you look around, Doc, you might notice that the others here aren't giving pointers on their sexual techniques. There is a time and a place for that, but that's not here and now. I'm sorry that you had to be told twice when once should have done just fine.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
NiteFox,Dec 12 2005, 05:29 PM Wrote:Back o' the pack: Ingredients Sugar, Thickener E414, Peppermint Oil, Gelatine, Glucose Syrup.

Made in the UK © Marks and Spencer p.l.c., Baker Street London, W1A 1DN.
[right][snapback]96829[/snapback][/right]

/plucks tin from the monitor stand in front of him, regards back of package while enjoying the wintergreen-y goodness

I've got Sugar, less than 2% of artificial flavor, gum arabic, gelatin, corn syrup, natural flavor.

Looks like we've got a pretty close match in the ingredients list, with a few differences in reporting detail. No producer data listed on my tin, but: Distributed by Callard & Bowser-Suchard, Inc. (NJ address), Made in Great Britain.

On the other hand, some quick web research reveals that Callard and Bowser is a unit of Kraft Foods (one of the biggest brand groups in the US); an 84% ownership stake in Kraft is held by the Phillip Morris group which is more commonly associated with its various cigarette brands. Not sure if "The Original Celebrated Curiously Strong" tagline was liscensed from the original UK brand, but the US version seems to be putting money in US pockets. Now I have to re-evaluate my decision to purchase based on the new info that I'm boosting PM's revenue.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Dec 13 2005, 07:55 AM Wrote:Not sure if "The Original Celebrated Curiously Strong" tagline was liscensed from the original UK brand, but the US version seems to be putting money in US pockets.  Now I have to re-evaluate my decision to purchase based on the new info that I'm boosting PM's revenue.
[right][snapback]96900[/snapback][/right]

PM has been diversifying out of tobacco and into a lot of other brands for the past 20 years. I think they saw the lawsuits coming a lot farther ahead than the lawsuits arrived, though you'd have thought they'd do an Ollie North Shredex if they were that prescient.

Occhi

Sister company under the PM "altria" family: http://www.sabmiller.com/sabmiller/

PS: RJ Reynolds http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title...Tobacco_Company
In Memory of Pete
On the topic of using Altoids tins for things other than providing a home to altoids, my wife uses an altoids tin to house her digital camera.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Dec 13 2005, 08:36 PM Wrote:On the topic of using Altoids tins for things other than providing a home to altoids, my wife uses an altoids tin to house her digital camera.
[right][snapback]96985[/snapback][/right]
Oh. Yeah. On topic. Right.

If they were a little larger, I'd use them to keep my business cards in (I guess this would work if the cards were a little smaller too). It would give a nice minty scent.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Dec 16 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:Oh.&nbsp; Yeah.&nbsp; On topic.&nbsp; Right.

If they were a little larger, I'd use them to keep my business cards in (I guess this would work if the cards were a little smaller too).&nbsp; It would give a nice minty scent.
[right][snapback]97315[/snapback][/right]

I keep the following items is a few Altoids tins in my desk at home:

Staples (The ones all stuck together before you load them into a stapler
Thumb tacks
3 D & D figs nestled in some foam rubber in an altoids tin for carrying about. I made it for my son for his 3 painted figs

In a few International Foods powdered flavored coffee tins (still have the plastic sealed tops)

Pencil leads and erasers for mechanical pencils
A painted Ral Partha Dragon (D & D fig again)
Business Cards
Guitar Picks

In the garage I use an altoids tin to keep my foamy earplugs in.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
The absolute best use I've found for Altoid (one of those things that they just got perfect and can't be improved!) tins is to give them to a little kid. They make excellent "treasure" containers - special rocks, coins, small toys, etc., etc. find a home in them and have the bonus of making noise when shaken! :)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."