The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
He was 65. How did he die?

For many years, one one of my favourite childhood movies was "Brewster's millions". I liked him.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
He collapsed and could not be revived.

He had severe MS.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 10 2005, 06:13 PM Wrote:He collapsed and could not be revived.

He had severe MS.
[right][snapback]96702[/snapback][/right]

[Image: richard-pryor02.jpg]

Let us all remember him for the incredible comedian he was, before the MS.

Cheers,

Munk
I remember fondly Harlem Nights. I laughed the whole film through, but was sad to see Pryor either sitting down or not moving much. He was sick even then.

Always funny.

I remember seeing him on TV one night, in a wheelchair, wearing a neck brace, and he was being roasted. He gave as good as he got, his mind still as sharp as a tack.

And let us not forget his work in Blazing Saddles, reminding us all how stupid we look when we are being racist.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 10 2005, 05:21 PM Wrote:And I am very, very sad.
[right][snapback]96696[/snapback][/right]

This is a sad day indeed, we have been losing too many excellent comedians recently. :(
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Dec 10 2005, 07:19 PM Wrote:This is a sad day indeed, we have been losing too many excellent comedians recently.  :(
[right][snapback]96707[/snapback][/right]

The first Richard Pryor album I ever owned was titled "That Nigger's Crazy." It was quite funny. The LP was lent one evening to a friend at college, along with Led Zepplin 4, and I never saw either again.

He's been deteriorating for nearly 10 years from MS, so his passing is no surprise.

He was married six times. That kind of pain (that many marriages breaking up) needs the catharsis of comedy.

I hope his rest is peaceful, he surely gave a lot of us a lot of laughs.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The one bit that he did that never failed to destroy me and disolve me in to fits of guffaws...

Was the bit about the Exorcist and how the movie would have been if it had been full of people other than white people.

Not the SNL skit... But the Exorcist skit. I forget the album, but it's right before the Wino Meets Dracula.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
:(

I loved Richard Pryor. My favourite memory of him was when he played Gus Gorman in Superman 3. He turned that god-awful movie into an awesome one.
Hi,

A good comedian and a true loss. But, what "work in Blazing Saddles"?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Dec 11 2005, 01:34 PM Wrote:Hi,

A good comedian and a true loss.  But, what "work in Blazing Saddles"?

--Pete
[right][snapback]96747[/snapback][/right]

He was originally cast as the lead, but after a couple of problems with a few terrible coke benders, he was thrown in with the writers.

Watch the special edition of Blazing Saddles and the long and lengthly chat that Mel Brooks has about what mixed blessing it was to work with Pryor. When he was drunk, he was mean and spiteful, but funny in a mean sort of way. When he was hopped up on coke, he was funny and friendly. And when he was sober, he was the least funny person ever.

IMDB

Probably the single most important piece of work in cinema history can be attributed (Blamed? ) on Pryor. The campfire cowboy fart scene. Pryor had a lot of fart jokes... He had done many bits about farting. Up to this point, nobody had ever farted in a movie. He and Mel tossed the idea around for a long time, but the movie was bad enough as it was, and the censors were threatening to can it. Not only had they said "nigger" more than any other movie in history, (up to that point) they were going to break in a new era of cinema. He and Mel were sitting around talking about what a bunch of cowboys around a campfire, swilling black coffee, eating stale bread, and eating all those beans would really be like. Instead of the classic romantic campfire scenes of old, with cowboys around a campfire, reclining gracefully, singling, and plucking a guitar, they showed what real cowboys would be doing around a fire.

The first fart was going to be at normal volume, and the rest muffled, but Mel and Pryor knew the audience would be laughing. The studio demanded that the farting be kept to minimum volume. But nobody in the theatre would be able to hear it after the first toot, so Mel and Pryor had the sound guys secretly raise the volume on the track so that the ripsnortin' rootin' tootin' cowboys could be heard over the laughter.

Pryor was truly a comedic genius.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Pete,Dec 11 2005, 12:34 PM Wrote:Hi,

A good comedian and a true loss.  But, what "work in Blazing Saddles"?

--Pete
[right][snapback]96747[/snapback][/right]

According to his (or maybe Mel Brooks') Playboy interview back in the 70's, the rejoinder to the "its twoo its twoo" line was "that's my arm" was written by Pryor and for one reason or another, left on the cutting room floor by Brooks.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Doc,Dec 10 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:The one bit that he did that never failed to destroy me and disolve me in to fits of guffaws...

Was the bit about the Exorcist and how the movie would have been if it had been full of people other than white people.

Not the SNL skit... But the Exorcist skit. I forget the album, but it's right before the Wino Meets Dracula.
[right][snapback]96718[/snapback][/right]

The album was "That Nigger's Crazy" -- I still remember the Wino Darculsa line about "MF, you need to see an orthodontist!"

While I think you may be mixing his albums with Eddie Murphy's bit on the Amity Ville Horror, maybe Eddie copied his bit from a master comic and my memory is at fault.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I never found him to be funny.

-A