Somebody Here Wanted Me to Read Harry Potter
Well, I have finally got around to reading them. Whomever it was that had asked me to do so, thank you.

I just finished off Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and am going to start on Prisoner of Azkaban. (Spelling? Dunno)

Really very interesting and a much better story than I anticipated. I have been reading them to my wife as I go. He Who Should Not Be Named gives her the creeps. She doesn't like him at all.

I think the character I most associate with for some reason... Is Hagrid.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 9 2005, 07:53 PM Wrote:Well, I have finally got around to reading them. Whomever it was that had asked me to do so, thank you.

I just finished off Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and am going to start on Prisoner of Azkaban. (Spelling? Dunno)

Really very interesting and a much better story than I anticipated. I have been reading them to my wife as I go. He Who Should Not Be Named gives her the creeps. She doesn't like him at all.

[right][snapback]96654[/snapback][/right]

Mr Animal keeper, who would have thunk it? :D I read four of them aloud to the kids, and of course they love my voice of Dobby, who I hate with a passion. Almost as loathable as Jar Jar Binks.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 9 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Mr Animal keeper, who would have thunk it?  :D  I read four of them aloud to the kids, and of course they love my voice of Dobby, who I hate with a passion.  Almost as loathable as Jar Jar Binks.

Occhi
[right][snapback]96656[/snapback][/right]

That's funny... I felt pity for Dobby. A lot of pity. It is awful how he is treated. No thinking creature should ever be treated in that manner.

If that Malfoy character did such a thing in front of me, it would take a team of wizards and muggle surgeons to find the wand crammed up his, er, well, Chamber of Secrets.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi, Doc,

Doc,Dec 10 2005, 02:29 AM Wrote:If that Malfoy character did such a thing in front of me, it would take a team of wizards and muggle surgeons to find the wand crammed up his, er, well, Chamber of Secrets.
[right][snapback]96657[/snapback][/right]

Ooh, good one, Doc! :lol:

A friend of mine recommended I read the Potter books a few years ago; I think I've read the first four so far. I also was surprised at how readable they were for adults (his wife is an elementary school librarian/tech person, so I had some minor doubts).

I think Rowling deserves all of the success she has recieved, with these creations which have spurred many kids to read, who formerly wouldn't be caught dead reading for fun.

My pet peeve is those <insert expletive here> idiots who think the books should be banned, because they contain 'witchcraft' - and of course, probably 90% of them haven't even read the books! :angry:

However, I have to admit, since I don't have kids, I always feel a little odd browsing in the 'Juvenile' book section. :ph34r:

It reminds me, back in the 70's, I had read a few of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, including Dragonsong. I wanted to read the follow-ups to Dragonsong, namely, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums. I kept checking on the shelves at the local public library for them, but they were never there (though the catalog said they had them). Finally I asked a librarian about them. She checked the card catalog - and promptly went over to the juvenile section and pulled them off of the shelf. I was flummoxed. Although, in retrospect, I could see why they were classed as "Juveniles," the thought had never once crossed my mind, and I had totally overlooked the code on the card that indicated that, and therefore their location. :blush:

Regards,

Dako-ta

"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." -- Edith Wharton
In a few days, I will have a crate of Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Jelly Beans arriving at my door.

I expect that the holidays will suddenly become quite exciting around here when the candy dishes are passed around.

Rotten egg. Rancid bacon. Dirt. Earwax. Cotton Candy. Vomit. Black pepper. Earthworm. Sardine.

And I will have bowls placed in the offices. I suspect that the workers will be most suprised. Mayhap not pleasantly suprised, but they will be suprised.

I dare say they will be on guard after the last holiday jellybean event, when I placed red and green jellybeans everywhere.

Green = jalapeno

Red = habenaro

Lots of howling I understand. Much wailing, weeping, gnashing of teeth, and cursing of my name.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 13 2005, 08:34 AM Wrote:I dare say they will be on guard after the last holiday jellybean event, when I placed red and green jellybeans everywhere.

Green = jalapeno

Red = habenaro

Lots of howling I understand. Much wailing, weeping, gnashing of teeth, and cursing of my name.
[right][snapback]96898[/snapback][/right]

That. That is the greatest thing ever. Or at least in the top 5. I must plan something slightly more evil....
Doc,Dec 13 2005, 12:34 PM Wrote:I dare say they will be on guard after the last holiday jellybean event, when I placed red and green jellybeans everywhere.

Green = jalapeno

Red = habenaro

<_<

>_>

¬_¬

... Where can I buy these fabled jellybeans?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Doc,Dec 13 2005, 07:34 AM Wrote:Rotten egg. Rancid bacon. Dirt. Earwax. Cotton Candy. Vomit. Black pepper. Earthworm. Sardine.

Not a big fan of the pink fluffy stuff are we Doc?

P.S. Evil, pure evil.
NiteFox,Dec 13 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:<_<

>_>

¬_¬

... Where can I buy these fabled jellybeans?
[right][snapback]96907[/snapback][/right]

I believe they came from Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.

I must warn you, the habby beans were something like 250,000 scoville units.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Dec 9 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:Really very interesting and a much better story than I anticipated. I have been reading them to my wife as I go. He Who Should Not Be Named gives her the creeps. She doesn't like him at all.

The books are far more enjoyable than I expected as well. I just finished "The Half-Blood Prince" at lunchtime today. I felt it less satisfying than the previous books, but I will avoid details in this post for spoilerish reasons.

I think the movie-ization of "The Order of the Phoenix" should be directed by Quentin Tarantino.

-Lemmy
LemmingofGlory,Dec 17 2005, 04:48 PM Wrote:I think the movie-ization of "The Order of the Phoenix" should be directed by Quentin Tarantino.
[right][snapback]97391[/snapback][/right]

Wow. I'd hoped for Terry Gilliam, but that just might be better.

Can't wait to see someone get Avada Kedavra'd through a cereal box.

-Jester
LemmingofGlory,Dec 17 2005, 05:48 PM Wrote:I think the movie-ization of "The Order of the Phoenix" should be directed by Quentin Tarantino.
-Lemmy
[right][snapback]97391[/snapback][/right]
That would be sweet, but I don't think JK Rowling would give that a thumbs up.

Too bad. :rolleyes:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete