Canadian government toppled by non-confidence vote
SwissMercenary,Dec 5 2005, 10:50 AM Wrote:That's nice. If there's a poster on this board who isn't aware of that by now, I'm willing to eat my right toe.

I don't think we need constant reminders of it, much like I'm not constantly trying to tell people that "drugs are bad, mmkay."
[right][snapback]96291[/snapback][/right]

That's nice. I'll take it under advisement. We'll see.

-A

ps. When I was a kid and would ask my father for something, his usual answer would be "we'll see"... well in russian of course. Can you guess what he saw and how he saw it?
To get back on-topic, Stephen Harper's campaign is, so far, brilliant. At least the ideas make sense. Until you start adding them up, and wondering where he'll get the money to pay for them. :whistling:

I mean, theoretically, all that would be possible, if fat were to be trimmed from other parts of the system, but no surprise, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about that.

At least his ideas are quasi-original. You have to give credit for that, considering that the NDP keep prattling on about healthcare :rolleyes: , and the BQ is doing what the BQ does best... Refining their seperatist agenda, or somesuch, which taken into scale with various other federal issues amounts to just about nothing. I don't know.

Paul Martin's of course got his hands full trying to play defense.

So... What interests me the most is: "Can Harper keep this rather brilliant start up for the next 50 days?"
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Dec 5 2005, 02:43 PM Wrote:To get back on-topic, Stephen Harper's campaign is, so far, brilliant. At least the ideas make sense. Until you start adding them up, and wondering where he'll get the money to pay for them.  :whistling:

[right][snapback]96296[/snapback][/right]

Yup. Nothing like buying my vote with my own money.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

SwissMercenary,Dec 5 2005, 01:43 PM Wrote:To get back on-topic, Stephen Harper's campaign is, so far, brilliant. At least the ideas make sense. Until you start adding them up, and wondering where he'll get the money to pay for them.  :whistling:

It is not so hard to come up with a good idea; it is a real bear to implement one, to implement change. The larger the organization you are trying to implement it in, the tougher it is.

Quote:At least his ideas are quasi-original. You have to give credit for that, considering that the NDP keep prattling on about healthcare  :rolleyes: , and the BQ is doing what the BQ does best... Refining their seperatist agenda, or somesuch, which taken into scale with various other federal issues amounts to just about nothing. I don't know.

Paul Martin's of course got his hands full trying to play defense.

So... What interests me the most is: "Can Harper keep this rather brilliant start up for the next 50 days?"

After those 50 days, would he, assuming he won this latest scuffle, implement these quasi good ideas, or would he do as most pols do and reneg on campaign promises? Is the vision a chimera?

Folks won't know until the new elections are over, after which point it is too late, eh? :whistling:

Occhi

EDITED for missing the Preview button. No wonder I stink at PvP on a computer.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 5 2005, 04:52 PM Wrote:After those 50 days, would he, assuming he won this latest scuffle, implement these quasi good ideas, or would he do as most pols do and reneg on campaign promises?
I saw a poll last week (on the CBC?) that said that the overwhelming majority of Canadians don't expect politicians to keep campaign promises, so Stephen might have carte-blanche to pretend to buy us off, and then never deliver the money (which was ours in the first place). :P
Now, I don't really doubt that he would implement (some) of those reforms, seeing as how we are running a surplus...

Which could very well turn into a deficit, thanks to the said reforms, of course.

Of course, all of this is a moot point if he has to form a minority government, as the other parties will most certainly vote no on these issues.

As for the ideas, very much in agreement with you there. Talk is cheap, but in this case, you really have to give him credit for doing any actual talking, in contrary to the "Same old, same old" from the other parties.

Not that I have a problem with the current state of Status Quo, of course. No problem whatsoever.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
What aggrivates me the most about all this is that after all the hooplah the Liberals made LAST time, and did squat about it.

I trust ALL parties about as far as I can throw them.... Not at all.

I'm pretty much indifferent these days. (It's pretty bad when your government can piss you off so royally in 6 years that you no longer care.)
[Image: 4955118coiDE.png]
*Waves*

Hope things are going better for you, man.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
(OT:)
SwissMercenary,Dec 6 2005, 12:45 AM Wrote:*Waves*

Hope things are going better for you, man.
[right][snapback]96323[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, things are going better. Thanks. Check your PM's for more info, Swiss.
(/OT)
[Image: 4955118coiDE.png]
Ashock,Dec 5 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:That's nice. I'll take it under advisement. We'll see.
-A
ps. When I was a kid and would ask my father for something, his usual answer would be "we'll see"... well in russian of course. Can you guess what he saw and how he saw it?
[right][snapback]96295[/snapback][/right]

Muy vidiem?

Or is there some colloquial expression?

-Jester

edit: I suppose that's "we see", not "we will see". So now my pathetic knowledge of Russian runs out, and I rely on the experts. ;)
Jester,Dec 7 2005, 12:16 AM Wrote:Muy vidiem?

Or is there some colloquial expression?

-Jester

edit: I suppose that's "we see", not "we will see". So now my pathetic knowledge of Russian runs out, and I rely on the experts. ;)
[right][snapback]96422[/snapback][/right]

"Muy vidiem" means "we see", not "we'll see". The correct phrase would be "muy uvidiem", or simply "uvidiem" That implies to see something in the future. He however, used "posmotrim", which basically means the same thing.

That'll be 20 rubles and 37 kopeks, comrade. That's like 3 cents, or so ;)

-A