christmas lights
This display was e-mailed to me. I thought it might be faked because it just looks too well synchronized. I checked Snopes.com and their readers have insisted it is real. Check out the Snopes piece and the links to the video here. I love it. Great lights synchronized to Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Yummy! :)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I saw this about a week ago and it blew my mind. Everyone needs to watch this right now.
Yes! I saw this the other day and it is absolutely amazing.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Considering Trans-Siberian Orchestra seems to basically only do Christmas albums (5 Christmas-themed CDs and 1 Beethoven CD), they're actually halfway decent. I really like that "Wizards in Winter" song and I just listened to The Lost Christmas Eve all the way through without a complaint. Good stuff.

They're coming to my area on tour in early December too... it may be worth picking up some tickets and taking a lady-friend. It might score me some points.

That person did an awesome job with the lights on their house. Truly stellar work.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
LochnarITB,Nov 28 2005, 04:08 AM Wrote:This display was e-mailed to me.  I thought it might be faked because it just looks too well synchronized.  I checked Snopes.com and their readers have insisted it is real.  Check out the Snopes piece and the links to the video here.  I love it.  Great lights synchronized to Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  Yummy! :)
[right][snapback]95873[/snapback][/right]

Shouldn't these be called Holiday lights now?

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit late on my PCA (Political Correctness Association) dues, so I've been out of the loop for a while now.

-A
TSO is awesome. I'm going to be seeing them in Philly in December this year. My brother went last year and said the show was awesome. They even played Carmina Burana! Apparently they're in the process of making a non-Christmas album.

The song, in case anyone was wondering, is "Wizards in Winter" from The Lost Christmas Eve.

As a random piece of trivia, their first famous song, the metal version of the carol of the bells (I believe that was it), was actually taken straight from an album of the original band of the singer and gutarist (and possibly other members too). That band was Savatage.
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
political correctness leads to desintegration of society and censorship of the world. next thing you know we will censor the nursry ryhmes because they have violence and destroying of houses and eating people. call the lights whatever you want but dont try to make other people do the same. the can call them purple banana monkey cheese lights for all i care. we must end censorship before the complete degradation of our society.
Dradkin,Dec 2 2005, 03:51 PM Wrote:political correctness leads to desintegration of society and censorship of the world. next thing you know we will censor the nursry ryhmes because they have violence and destroying of houses and eating people. call the lights whatever you want but dont try to make other people do the same. the can call them purple banana monkey cheese lights for all i care. we must end censorship before the complete degradation of our society.
[right][snapback]96151[/snapback][/right]

*Whoosh!*
Dradkin,Dec 2 2005, 08:51 AM Wrote:political correctness leads to desintegration of society and censorship of the world. next thing you know we will censor the nursry ryhmes because they have violence and destroying of houses and eating people. call the lights whatever you want but dont try to make other people do the same. the can call them purple banana monkey cheese lights for all i care. we must end censorship before the complete degradation of our society.
[right][snapback]96151[/snapback][/right]

Failure to use proper English leads to a disintegration of society thanks to systemic incoherence throughout the English speaking world. The next thing you know, we will censor nursery rhymes because the words aren't presented in English, Ebonics and Spanish simultaneously, as instructions for a Poulan chainsaw must be. Call your post whatever you want to, but don't pretend you can be considered literate. Then call your post a ration of camel dung; at least you will be accurate. We must end the improper use of English before communication breakdown becomes something more sinister than a Led Zepplin song.

Note: While I agree with your disdain for PC, your presentation was despicable. This is not a chat room.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 2 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:The next thing you know, we will censor nursery rhymes because the words aren't presented in English, Ebonics and Spanish simultaneously, as instructions for a Poulan chainsaw must be.[right][snapback]96166[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the laugh Occhi. The mental image of the warning page from a chainsaw user's manual in ebonics is still cracking me up. :D
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Occhidiangela,Dec 2 2005, 03:13 PM Wrote:...  The next thing you know, we will censor nursery rhymes because the words aren't presented in English, Ebonics and Spanish simultaneously, as instructions for a Poulan chainsaw must be.  ...
[right][snapback]96166[/snapback][/right]
Which is an extremely ironic topic considering some Nursery Rhymes have dark history such as...

Quote: Goosey, goosey, gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs, and downstairs,
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers!
I took him by the left leg
And threw him down the stairs.

Was a lament of religious intolerence of catholics in England during the 16th century. Closet priests would hide away in cubies (priest holes) to say their prayers in latin, rather than recite the English book of (protestant) prayer. Violators and their families were harshly punished.

Here comes that damn pendulum again.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Dec 5 2005, 03:13 PM Wrote:Which is an extremely ironic topic considering some Nursery Rhymes have dark  history such as...
Was a lament of religious intolerence of catholics in England during the 16th century.  Closet priests would hide away in cubies (priest holes) to say their prayers in latin, rather than recite the English book of (protestant) prayer.  Violators and their families were harshly punished.

Here comes that damn pendulum again.
[right][snapback]96306[/snapback][/right]

Taffy was a welshman . . .

Londond Bridge is falling down . . .

Ring around the rosies . . . ashes, ashes, we all fall down!

Yes indeed, Nursery Rhymes have a sordid past, but they help get a kid used to poetry and rhyme. Harry Potter books are not great literature, and some Fundies get all bent out of shape about "A Witch, Burn Her!" but they are alleged to have helped get some kids to read for fun. (I wonder if that is more hype than fact . . . )

And now, for something completely different . . .

See Spot Dick Jane!

Even the old primers are laced with sordid references!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
jahcs,Dec 5 2005, 01:05 PM Wrote:Thanks for the laugh Occhi.  The mental image of the warning page from a chainsaw user's manual in ebonics is still cracking me up. :D
[right][snapback]96289[/snapback][/right]

[Imagination]
Yo, yo, yo! Watch yo hands foo, that chain be-a flyin. If you on-a bad side, you be a-dyin! Foget dat eye-gard s*** - aint gonna save nuthin!
[/Imagination]

Rather than worrying about sensitivity, lets worry about accuracy: as the saying goes, call a spade a spade. The front yard lights seem to be predominantly a christian thing. Candles in windows may he holiday lights, but outside lights seem like they can be caled Christmas lights. Santa, reindeer, nativity scene, tree=Christmas. Lighted windows could be Christmas, Hannukah (the festival of lights), or even rememberence of a missing child.

On another note, some yahoo in my neighborhood has his lights out now, and leaves them on all night. The nut has lights on every square ince of his bushes, tree, and the railings on the front steps. I say, may all you light folks enjoy your higher power bills, and the light polution you produce, just please turn them off at bedtime: my curtains aren't made of lead.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Dec 6 2005, 12:16 PM Wrote:Rather than worrying about sensitivity, lets worry about accuracy: as the saying goes, call a spade a spade.  The front yard lights seem to be predominantly a christian thing.[right][snapback]96362[/snapback][/right]

IMHO, Most yard light displays seem to be more of a commercial/consumerism thing unless they include a nativity or perhaps a large star above the display.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Dec 6 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:IMHO, Most yard light displays seem to be more of a commercial/consumerism thing unless they include a nativity or perhaps a large star above the display.
[right][snapback]96379[/snapback][/right]

Quite right. I should have thought twice before posting. The lighted tree thing seems like Christmas to me, but I think you're probably more right with regard to general lighting as a display of consumerism, though it still seems like it's mostly christians who get involved (at least in my limited experience, and many parts of the world may be differrent).
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lights are the modern electric extension of candles used in many ceremonial displays. One of the oldest types of these displays is the nine-branched menorah used on Chanukah commemorating the miracle that a day's worth of oil for this menorah lasted eight days.

Midwinter festivals (darkest day of the year) used torches and bonfires to rekindle the light, or celebrate the return of the light.

It just started small, and since bigger is better...

The phenomenon of mega-light displays is no more Christian thing, than the mega-Halloween displays a Demonic/Pagan thing. Some people invest themselves into their hobbies more than others for many different reasons I would guess. There is a place near me where the yard display has grown to include actors playing the Nativity, and live reindeer with a realistic sleigh and Santa. What started as large yard display has grown into a midwinter "circus", with it's sole purpose now to entertain and raise ALOT of money for charity.

But, for me, I'd rather visit the circus than be the circus.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]