Musing: Binary Blinders and Quantum Networks
Light and Quantum Information Systems

I confess that I will have to read this article twice more before I feel that I understand what they are talking about. Have some terms to look up. The increasing use of light as a conduit for information keeps the metaphor mixing of cosmic riddles and the world of electric gadgets rich with possibility.

Which leads to my confusing musing about the tech we are using.

With so many parts of our lives going "digital" or "on/off," the metaphor for darkght or good/evil is now (fortunately for us hack writers) embedded into an increasing proportion of the mundane things that surrounded us. This fundamental polarity is steadily replacing the "shades of gray" metaphor of analogue systems, which life seems to be actually made of. The nearly complete replacement of the carbeurator by the digital fuel control is a symbol for the lost bridge between man and car, and for science replacing the art, the tacticle sense of engine tuning, and the art of listening to an engine.

The small victories of the Trinity metaphor, the projection of visible light onto big screens for example, or merely the three primary colors, are an island of hope against the tyranny of the binary paradigm. Perhaps this Trinity of Light will soon acquire an ally numbered, luckily enough, seven.

It appears that, in the digital, binarily driven world, some researchers and scientists (in this case let us thank Canada) have suggest that we

Let There Be Light. :rolleyes: (See the article above)

I have heard that, based on light wave propagation, a "base seven" system is under development for use in computers, however, I can't seem to find much on it with a cursory search. Do any lurkers in the science or computer field have an insight on this "base seven" digitalght system development?

Musing along, does this portend the arrival of the Beast, whose number is 666, a curious quantity in base 7, or was it always, perhaps, 666.666(repeating, base 7). Or was it really, due to a typo in ancient the Greek script, .666(repeating, base 7) and an expression of near, though asymptotic, Unity? Why three significant digits, anyway, unless an underlying trinity is at work?

Could the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard (7 colors of visible light) be the new metaphor for our electronic technology base? In a metaphorical sense, is Odin ascendant versus the absolutist Dark/Light of Monotheism and its Nemesis?

Will Zeus or Dagdah make a comeback? Will Stonehenge once more be the center of power that it once was, as the great spiritual prism for The Light of the Sun? Or is this just another aspect of The Light of the Son?

We now return you to the regularly scheduled discussion of Orcs and Gnomes.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 22 2005, 06:55 AM Wrote:With so many parts of our lives going "digital" or "on/off," the metaphor for darkght or good/evil is now (fortunately for us hack writers) embedded into an increasing proportion of the mundane things that surrounded us.  This fundamental polarity is steadily replacing the "shades of gray" metaphor of analogue systems, which life seems to be actually made of.  The nearly complete replacement of the carbeurator by the digital fuel control is a symbol for the lost bridge between man and car, and for science replacing the art, the tacticle sense of engine tuning, and the art of listening to an engine.
[right][snapback]95499[/snapback][/right]

Not a lost bridge, just a different art or skillset. Instead of turning a mixture screw now you tweak idle RPM and air/fuel mixture with a controller. The enthusiast and racing markets have all sorts of neat toys (including carburetors ;) ) that you can use to tune your vehicle into exactly what you want.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Nov 22 2005, 10:22 AM Wrote:Not a lost bridge, just a different art or skillset.  Instead of turning a mixture screw now you tweak idle RPM and air/fuel mixture with a controller.  The enthusiast and racing markets have all sorts of neat toys (including carburetors ;) ) that you can use to tune your vehicle into exactly what you want.
[right][snapback]95509[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps what is lost is the simplicity of the shade tree mechanic's tool set of a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a hammer, and the simple one-bulb two-wire light used to time an engine, in the day when tuning was as much art as science. The new gadgets accompany the loss of the tactile sense of turning the screw, the infinite number of final adjustment settings unconstrained by digital slices, the feel of the spring's gentle resistance to the turning set screw, the joy of getting the tune "just right" due to your own craft, the ability to strip the carb down to parade rest and clean all of it with kerosene.

OK, call be a Luddite, I know digital fuel controls yield better mileage and cleaner burning, which is good for our air and thus all of us. Isn't it strange when the part number of a standard computer diagnostic kit ends in 666?

Thanks for the carb spellcheck, I should have looked it up. :blush:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I understand your plight Occhi. Fixing and tuning something with your own two hands is becoming a lost art IMHO.

And the carb smilie wasn't meant as a spellcheck. I was just making sure to mention carbs haven't gone completely out of style with the racing and restoration crowd. :)

Oooooo, purty.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Nov 22 2005, 04:01 PM Wrote:Oooooo,  purty.
[right][snapback]95548[/snapback][/right]

Shiny too. We likes it, Precious! :blink:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete