Minor Patch Today (1.8.2-1.8.3)
A minor patch was issued today whose main job was to introduce the new Blizzard Launcher:

Quote:New Blizzard Launcher

A new launch utility has been created to enhance your entry into World of Warcraft!  The Blizzard Launcher will provide up-to-date news and important event- and support-related updates.  In some regions, the Blizzard Launcher also scans for Trojan viruses and third-party cheat programs and notifies you if it has located any on your machine.  In addition to providing you with the benefits of additional anti-virus protection, the scan that the launcher conducts represents another security measure to protect your World of Warcraft account information and gameplay experience.
MongoJerry,Nov 15 2005, 08:32 AM Wrote:A minor patch was issued today whose main job was to introduce the new Blizzard Launcher:
[right][snapback]94882[/snapback][/right]
Well, I guess I'm praying it doesn't break the game for cedega users...
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
bonemage,Nov 15 2005, 08:38 AM Wrote:Well, I guess I'm praying it doesn't break the game for cedega users...

OK, I'll bite. What's cedega?

(Waiting for the customary, "I dunno. What's cedega with you?")
MongoJerry,Nov 15 2005, 08:42 AM Wrote:OK, I'll bite.  What's cedega?

(Waiting for the customary, "I dunno.  What's cedega with you?")
[right][snapback]94885[/snapback][/right]
Cedega is a branch of WINE that is focused on allowing linux users to play DirectX Windows games. It works quite well, and I've been running WoW under linux since January. Cedega was formerly called WineX.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
MongoJerry,Nov 15 2005, 07:32 AM Wrote:A minor patch was issued today whose main job was to introduce the new Blizzard Launcher:

Nice, if you click on the links in the Launcher, it totally ignores your default browser settings and launches IE.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I wonder what it'll do for me since IE is uninstalled. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
MongoJerry,Nov 15 2005, 09:32 AM Wrote:A minor patch was issued today whose main job was to introduce the new Blizzard Launcher:

You know what I've never understood about these patches? It says it is just a launcher (well and a few other things), yet I'm sitting here watching it patching the map files. Takes forever on my machine to do that (downloads always go quick for me, but the actual patching is slow). One has to wonder what it is doing to the files or if its just checking to make sure everything is as it should be or what. Sure seems to be going through alot of files that one wouldn't think were really associated with a new Launcher.
swirly,Nov 15 2005, 01:13 PM Wrote:You know what I've never understood about these patches?  It says it is just a launcher (well and a few other things), yet I'm sitting here watching it patching the map files.  Takes forever on my machine to do that (downloads always go quick for me, but the actual patching is slow).  One has to wonder what it is doing to the files or if its just checking to make sure everything is as it should be or what.  Sure seems to be going through alot of files that one wouldn't think were really associated with a new Launcher.
[right][snapback]94926[/snapback][/right]

I'm right with you. I always watch the update progress and scratch my head saying "I thought this was just a crash fix..." etc. Oh well, I'm sure we'll figure out all the stealth patch changes soon enough.
See you in Town,
-Z
If you don't use the launcher, is the anti-hack stuff happening anyway? I'm just going to use my normal game.exe.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
swirly,Nov 15 2005, 12:13 PM Wrote:You know what I've never understood about these patches?  It says it is just a launcher (well and a few other things), yet I'm sitting here watching it patching the map files.  Takes forever on my machine to do that (downloads always go quick for me, but the actual patching is slow).  One has to wonder what it is doing to the files or if its just checking to make sure everything is as it should be or what.  Sure seems to be going through alot of files that one wouldn't think were really associated with a new Launcher.

I think it's repatching the entire 1.8 patch. If you look at the actual patch notes from the download, it includes everything from 1.8.0-1.8.3. So, you're only downloading the update patch, but it copies all the files from the patches you've already gotten as if you were starting fresh. Seems like sloppy programming to me.
ima_nerd,Nov 15 2005, 03:39 PM Wrote:If you don't use the launcher, is the anti-hack stuff happening anyway? I'm just going to use my normal game.exe.
[right][snapback]94972[/snapback][/right]

I don't know but there was a post in the official Tech Support forums from someone who had uninstalled IE, so the launcher wasn't working correctly. The Blue response was just what you have done... it's also what I do, as this is the shortcut I've always used, and the patch didn't change my shortcut.

Maybe this is just a test run to work out the issues at our expense, then later they will require use of the Launcher. For now they left in the easy workaround just so they have an easy solution to someone with serious Launcher issues? I dunno, but maybe that's the explanation. Unless all the file patching was really the anti-hack stuff and the Launcher is just useless fluff.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Nov 15 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:I don't know but there was a post in the official Tech Support forums from someone who had uninstalled IE, so the launcher wasn't working correctly.  The Blue response was just what you have done... it's also what I do, as this is the shortcut I've always used, and the patch didn't change my shortcut.

Maybe this is just a test run to work out the issues at our expense, then later they will require use of the Launcher.  For now they left in the easy workaround just so they have an easy solution to someone with serious Launcher issues?  I dunno, but maybe that's the explanation.  Unless all the file patching was really the anti-hack stuff and the Launcher is just useless fluff.
[right][snapback]94986[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I just use my shortcut on the Quicklaunch and it doesn't open the launcher so as long as they don't break that I don't care.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
ima_nerd,Nov 15 2005, 02:11 PM Wrote:I wonder what it'll do for me since IE is uninstalled. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
[right][snapback]94925[/snapback][/right]

You can't uninstall it. Windows tricks you into thinking it's uninstalled, but if you try to use Windows Update, guess what pops up? You guessed it - Internet Explorer. It's hard-coded into the system. It cannot be removed. It cannot be shut down (oops, wrong movie).

I learned this the hard way when I was having massive virus issues. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
MongoJerry,Nov 15 2005, 11:32 AM Wrote:A minor patch was issued today whose main job was to introduce the new Blizzard Launcher:

Is there anyone else who cannot install this patch? It seems to be a common problem judging by the tech support forum. The blue suggestions range from removing memory to patching in safe mode. So far it has been about twelve hours for me and I am back at version 1.0. This is what I would call a major patch.

The symptom of failure is that the patch program reports a checksum error. Repeated downloads of the patch pass binary file compare. Blizzard's repair tool can verify the existing files, sometimes multiple tries in a row.

Brief details of my system:
Athlon 64 3800
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (nothing overclocked)
Windows XP SP2
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:You can't uninstall it. Windows tricks you into thinking it's uninstalled, but if you try to use Windows Update, guess what pops up? You guessed it - Internet Explorer. It's hard-coded into the system. It cannot be removed. It cannot be shut down (oops, wrong movie).

I learned this the hard way when I was having massive virus issues. tongue.gif

Arg you're right! Guess what popped up when I hit the links :angry:

*downloads Linux*