Project Implicit.
whyBish,Nov 15 2005, 11:39 PM Wrote:Some of astrology can be used for quackery too, but understanding the links between the movement of celestial bodies, and the actions of man is a good thing.  :P
[right][snapback]95004[/snapback][/right]

Astrologers can go stuff Jupiter in Uranus. :o
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Nov 15 2005, 10:45 PM Wrote:Astrologers can go stuff Jupiter in Uranus.  :o
[right][snapback]95006[/snapback][/right]

That's impossible. Jupiter's bigger. Hoever, I think a crab, some twins, and some scales could fit.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
whyBish,Nov 15 2005, 10:35 PM Wrote:As above, I'm not arguing the model is wrong, just the blatant application of the model to the real world.  Hence my inclusion of astrologers, they claim their (simple) system applies to the (complex) real world just like (none,some,most,all?) economists/psychologists.

Maybe I should conduct an experiment, and get some psychologists and some astrologers to predict how some particular couple will get on, and see what the results are.... meh, too much work, I think I'll stick to making wild, unfounded, generalisations  :P
[right][snapback]95002[/snapback][/right]

First you have to get the atrologers and psycologists to make proectictions that don't mean just anything.

You could also throw economists in. Money problams, marriages, supply and demand, trade, labor issues, they go together.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Nov 16 2005, 08:15 AM Wrote:First you have to get the atrologers and psycologists to make proectictions that don't mean just anything.
You could also throw economists in.  Money problams, marriages, supply and demand, trade, labor issues, they go together.
[right][snapback]95040[/snapback][/right]

Marriages can run into money problems. This sometimes leads to taking out in trade some supplied services. An unintentional labor may result in the outcome looking like the milkman. Put that all together, and there can be some serious issues, and likely a few demands made. If the astrologers can account for that level of complexity, I'm a Cancer, bring it on! I may be crabby, but

I
Guinness with my brunch
Pretzels I can munch
News without much spin

And twins!

And I
Love you too!

Here's to Lurking!

:shuriken: *sneaks away furtively*

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 16 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:Marriages can run into money problems.  This sometimes leads to taking out in trade some supplied services.  An unintentional labor may result in the outcome looking like the milkman.  Put that all together, and there can be some serious issues, and likely a few demands made.  If the astrologers can account for that level of complexity, I'm a Cancer, bring it on!  I may be crabby, but

I
Guinness with my brunch
Pretzels I can munch
News without much spin

And twins!

And I
Love you too!

Here's to Lurking!

:shuriken: *sneaks away furtively*

Occhi
[right][snapback]95042[/snapback][/right]

You sir, are a menace.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Nov 16 2005, 07:20 AM Wrote:Be real careful on this one please, as I rather like economics.
[right][snapback]94915[/snapback][/right]

Well, I've seen economic arguements about things like:
- Donating money to places like Africa *increases* poverty (again it is true for some economic models depending on what factors you take into account. The claim that model X fits the real world is the (untested!!) assertion, and that is the problem with all of these areas.)
Doc,Nov 16 2005, 08:25 AM Wrote:You sir, are a menace.
[right][snapback]95043[/snapback][/right]

But my name ain't Dennis. :D

And I'm not old!

And while we are at it, Lurkers, see the sarcasm inherent in the Lounge! Doc's repressing me! Hey, you, over there, can't you see, he's repressing me? Can't you see the sarcasm inherent in the Lounge?

must . . . have . . . more . . . caffeine . . .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Economics isn't always about money. It's the study of a trade system. Like, how many goats is your wife worth? See, this might be handy to know under the right circumstaces. Barter.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Nov 18 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:Economics isn't always about money. It's the study of a trade system. Like, how many goats is your wife worth? See, this might be handy to know under the right circumstaces. Barter.
[right][snapback]95176[/snapback][/right]
The economists measure of your wifes worth in goats would vary between economists depending on what model they use. Some will claim wives are a commodity and hence can be priced based on supply and demand. Others will claim that each wife is unique so no price could be determined except the final sale price (i.e. not a predictive model, hence can't be invalidated)

Note how variable valuations are for companies on stock exchanges. Note how economists have been stating that houses are overpriced (for the past five years they have been predicting a fall in prices, but the price has doubled in the last four years (in NZ), and rentals have now increased rather than house prices dropping, so economists here are saying all sorts of conflicting things)
Note how economists have been calling the NZD overpriced for the past three years, yet it has continued to appreciate.
Note how economists just use the OCR to control inflation when (in NZ) the long term interest rates are more related to the Fed. rate, since that is where the source of funds are, so our central bank has raised the OCR 2% in the last two years but inflation has (and is still) steadily increased)

An economist is the last person I'd ask to tell me what price to sell a wife for. I'd rather ask a salesperson with experience in selling wives (particularly if you get them to do it on %age so that there is an incentive for them to get it right)