Help me get hooked on Firefox
Okay, this time I'm determined to make the switch from IE to Firefox. A couple of things I'll probably work out in the end (Like complete disabling of tabbed browsing, which I can't stand), but before I become fully committed, I'd like to get a couple of details... dealt with first. Maybe a member of the audience can help me.

1) There are two other users on this machine, and I've only just managed to teach them how to use IE. Now let's be absolutely fair, if you're less than computer-skilled, learning how to use another program is a genuine pain in the ass especially when something is essentially a new face on something you've long become familiar with. I don't really want to hear the complaints of the other two users, I don't want to even attempt to teach them how to use Firefox (Christ, I've had it up to here with teaching programs to people), I would rather that on my account, FF is the default browser with IE being the default for the other two accounts.

However, I can't figure out a way to do this. I try setting the defaults on individual accounts using both IE, FF, and Windows' Set Program Access & Defaults control applet, but whatever I set for one account is universally set across the board. So, does anyone have a solutin for me?

And no, a global default of FF is not the answer. If the other two accounts on this machine can't have IE as default, then I'll simply do without.

2) With 1) being dealt with, I'd like an extension that's like the Google toolbar's "block pop-ups" button. There are sites such as forums where you have to have pop-ups enabled, and going through a menu and two dialogues to enable pop-ups for that site seems counter-intuitive after years of what basically amounted to "push this button."
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
1) http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultbrowser.htm

Small program for per-user browser settings.

Don't see an answer for #2, and I've been out of the loop for awhile for Firefox, so I'm not as good at looking as I was just a year ago ...
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Thanks Quark, gonna try that out ASAP.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,Nov 6 2005, 01:29 PM Wrote:2) With 1) being dealt with, I'd like an extension that's like the Google toolbar's "block pop-ups" button.  There are sites such as forums where you have to have pop-ups enabled, and going through a menu and two dialogues to enable pop-ups for that site seems counter-intuitive after years of what basically amounted to "push this button."
[right][snapback]94257[/snapback][/right]
Not sure how to actually do that, but you can enable pop-ups on sites that need them permanently. Not sure if this helps.
NiteFox,Nov 6 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:2) With 1) being dealt with, I'd like an extension that's like the Google toolbar's "block pop-ups" button.  There are sites such as forums where you have to have pop-ups enabled, and going through a menu and two dialogues to enable pop-ups for that site seems counter-intuitive after years of what basically amounted to "push this button."

Why not just use google toolbar? I just went to the site and it says "now available for firefox".
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Raelynn,Nov 6 2005, 08:58 PM Wrote:Why not just use google toolbar?  I just went to the site and it says "now available for firefox".
[right][snapback]94274[/snapback][/right]

I believe the Firefox version is sans-popup control.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Mozilla suite has support for managing the pop-ups nicely. It adds an extra icon down in the status bar that goes active when a pop-up is blocked. Clicking on the icon not only opens the pop-up manager, but fills in the site name in the dialog. Hit OK and it's allowed. Not sure if Firefox supports this. They share a common codebase, but Firefox is generally the "for dummies" version, which is missing lots of functionality and configurability.

As for tabs: why would you want to get rid of tabbed browsing???
[vL]Kp,Nov 6 2005, Wrote:As for tabs: why would you want to get rid of tabbed browsing???
[right][snapback]94276[/snapback][/right]

I couldn't possibly answer that, seeing as how I typically have 3-10 tabs open at a time.
Quark,Nov 7 2005, 05:56 PM Wrote:I couldn't possibly answer that, seeing as how I typically have 3-10 tabs open at a time.
[right][snapback]94280[/snapback][/right]
I often have so many open that the close icon doesn't work and I have to right click and select close tab instead :/
NiteFox,Nov 6 2005, 02:29 PM Wrote:  Now let's be absolutely fair, if you're less than computer-skilled, learning how to use another program is a genuine pain in the ass especially when something is essentially a new face on something you've long become familiar with. 

Fair?

My parents switched seemlessly to Firefox from IE. If they can do it anyone can easily. Their is no "pain"; if people complain its because they want to be a victem in this case. Its not because they are having a hard time.
All the standard options and actions somebody who does not know a lot about computers will use and perform (like the addressbar, bookmarks, search etc.) are exactly the same in both programs. I don't think you should expect troubles when you switch (concerning the other users).

I'm also not a hero in computers but firefox is just great....and I'm not using most of the advanced options..
[vL]Kp,Nov 7 2005, Wrote:As for tabs: why would you want to get rid of tabbed browsing???
[right][snapback]94276[/snapback][/right]
Hey, I'm not alone in abhoring tabbed browsing. So familiar am I with having multiple IE windows open (And visible on the taskbar) and alt-tabbing between them that anything else is a pain to deal with.

It's one of those preferential things. You might not have met anyone who didn't like tabbed browsers, but I have, and I just happen to be among them.
Quote:My parents switched seemlessly to Firefox from IE. If they can do it anyone can easily. Their is no "pain"; if people complain its because they want to be a victem in this case. Its not because they are having a hard time.
Believe me, if you knew the other two people who use my machine, then you would be trying to dodge the issue of training them with Firefox. It's better for all concerned (especially me), trust me.

And that little gizmo Quark suggested works perfectly. Thanks.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

NiteFox,Nov 7 2005, 10:37 AM Wrote:Hey, I'm not alone in abhoring tabbed browsing.  So familiar am I with having multiple IE windows open (And visible on the taskbar) and alt-tabbing between them that anything else is a pain to deal with.
[right][snapback]94294[/snapback][/right]

Okay, but how's this:

1) You can have a few windows open with different "tasks" - one for game sites, one for work sites, etc ...

2) Ctrl+Tab. That can't be much difference from Alt+Tab.
NiteFox,Nov 6 2005, 02:29 PM Wrote:There are two other users on this machine, and I've only just managed to teach them how to use IE.  Now let's be absolutely fair, if you're less than computer-skilled, learning how to use another program is a genuine pain in the ass especially when something is essentially a new face on something you've long become familiar with.

99% of the things I do in a browser happen on the web page I'm currently visiting, i.e. it would be the same regardless of what browser I'm using.

When I switched from IE to Firefox, I first had to learn to use Bookmarks instead of Favorites. And there's pretty much a direct correlation on how they work. As long as the broswer has an address bar at the top, a back button, and the ability to open a new window with ctrl-N, I'm happy. All of these features pretty much work the same way on most browsers (on a Windows machine anyway).

I did add the Flashblock extension to Firefox, because I hate the way most web pages use Flash, but if I wasn't as familiar with computers, then I probably would not have cared about Flash abuse anyway.

I do feel your pain when it comes to teaching someone how to use a computer program. I would imagine that most programs written today (especially browsers) are about as user-friendly as they've ever been. But if someone just doesn't understand computers (like I don't understand car engines) then some concepts just never sink in, no matter hard you try.
If you were able to use/learn IE then your able to use FireFox. The basic funtions are almost the same and very intuative. My mom doesnt even really get the concept of "files" but she can surf the web on either browser.

I understand that the original poster might be dealing with someone who is looking for problems so it makes his life easier to not change anything.
But the problem is some ones attitude not their abilities.