Whole Foods, Jon Mackay, and the WSJ editors
The progressives are in a tizzy regarding an Opinion piece in the WSJ by John Mackey. Heaven forbid that someone whom everyone assumed to be on the blue side fall out of lock step in the debate on health care. John Mackey is turns out is one of those free thinking libertarians. :)

Now, Progressive Review, is getting into the fray attempting to rally its subscribers into the boycott of Whole Foods. The Whole Foods blog is on fire with opinions from all sides.

What John Mackey (Whole Foods) Actually Wrote vs What the WSJ Ran.

The best comment I read was from a Whole Foods shopper who said, "Show me a CEO who's opinions is one I can identify with, and I'll consider changing my shopping choices."

Again, this is what happens to debate in America. Someone expresses an opinion that is not in lock step, and someones political machine tries to punish them for speaking in the first place (e.g. Dixie Chicks). I'm committing myself to respect people who speak their minds, whether I agree with them or not. I may have an opinion to the contrary, (e.g. Dixie Chicks), but they should not get chewed up by political organizations. In regards to the Dixie Chicks controversy, I believe that had Natalie stopped at opposition to the war the controversy would have blown over. But, she went the extra step of saying she was ashamed of the President, which is over the line for most Americans. I think you can be in opposition to actions, or policies, but it touches a sensitive nerve when you are ashamed of the the country, its officials, or its laws.

Both of these are a classic case of "Know your customer." -- John Mackey should have realized that his opinion on health care might be out of sync with the majority of his corporations customers, and hence to give your opinion would rock the boat. Just as Natalie should have realized that just because you are in England, does not mean all those red necks in the USA are not aware of what you are saying abroad. Which then leads to my last observation, which is when I buy my gas, groceries, clothing, and entertainment I have little inkling of what the opinions are of the CEO's of the corporations to which I shop, nor do I care.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I'm not familiar with Whole Foods, but I don't think their business is dependent upon the celebrity and views of their CEO. In truth, I doubt many of their customers would even know his name. And the ones who read WSJ would hardly find his views extreme. Bottom line, he might lose a few political activists as customers, but this boycott will go nowhere.

Outside of Donald Trump and Bill Gates, not many CEOs are listened to or cared about in any way by the general populous. Singer/songwriters are perhaps the most personally connected to their customers of anyone who does national business, because they have fans who listen to the music for the artists' insights in lyrical form, along with dressing like them, gossiping about them, and all the normal celebrity crap. It's very different from your typical CEO. But I imagine the Dixie Chicks are doing OK all the same.
It would be a lot easier to support him as a paragon of public courage in free speech if he hadn't been caught sock puppetting a couple years back.

-Jester
Quote:It would be a lot easier to support him as a paragon of public courage in free speech if he hadn't been caught sock puppetting a couple years back.

-Jester
Huh? What was this?

At kandrathe: CEO of a food company speaks out. OK, I'll check the link. (Braces self for something piled higher and deeper.)

OK, I read it. Talking points seem to be not all that different from an amalgam of what's been making the rounds for the past months.

He is a little broad brush on what people can control in their health care and life style choices. He adds not much to the debate, though I agree it is unfair that you buying Health Care and not getting the same tax write off as someone who gets it through a job program.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Huh? What was this?

At kandrathe: CEO of a food company speaks out. OK, I'll check the link. (Braces self for something piled higher and deeper.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackey_(...inance_postings

-Jester
Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackey_(...inance_postings

-Jester
Ah, thanks,. that was cheesey of him.

Boycott Mackey's company because you don't like his opinion?

Comment on the health care angle of this.

Jesus, what the hell is going on here? People who work for that company need those jobs so they can get the health insurance he provides them. Yeah, Healt Care advocates and political hit men, let's boycott WHole Foods, drive down revenue, and make him cut jobs in response so more people lose their health care benefits.

MORONS!

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Both of these are a classic case of "Know your customer." -- John Mackey should have realized that his opinion on health care might be out of sync with the majority of his corporations customers, and hence to give your opinion would rock the boat. Just as Natalie should have realized that just because you are in England, does not mean all those red necks in the USA are not aware of what you are saying abroad. Which then leads to my last observation, which is when I buy my gas, groceries, clothing, and entertainment I have little inkling of what the opinions are of the CEO's of the corporations to which I shop, nor do I care.

In general I would agree with you. Whole Foods, though, is much closer to Trader Joes than Walmart. Part of their niche is selling an image or lifestyle to people who are willing to spend a few extra dollars on a box that says "Natural". If you take away that image then all you have is a more expensive grocery store. When a major aspect of your business is based on image coming out and saying something contradictory to that image is just stupid. You don't see Steve Jobs coming out saying stuff like "PCs are actually just as easy to use as a Mac."
Quote:It would be a lot easier to support him as a paragon of public courage in free speech if he hadn't been caught sock puppetting a couple years back.
Ha! I did not know that. What a maroon! :) I guess even CEO's are idiots sometimes.

I've only thrown myself into the pig pen of those Finance boards one time to debunk some stupid wild claim against the company I was working at, but then I used my real name and title and cited irrefutable facts. The lesson learned is to stay out of the pig pen, although I didn't get any crap on me, it still smells and makes your coworkers nervous.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:In general I would agree with you. Whole Foods, though, is much closer to Trader Joes than Walmart. Part of their niche is selling an image or lifestyle to people who are willing to spend a few extra dollars on a box that says "Natural". If you take away that image then all you have is a more expensive grocery store. When a major aspect of your business is based on image coming out and saying something contradictory to that image is just stupid. You don't see Steve Jobs coming out saying stuff like "PCs are actually just as easy to use as a Mac."
We like Trader Joe's better at our house. :)

The Complex Question

A wonderful new article on Gamasutra which addresses this issue as well as other related questions regarding boycotts specifically regarding Video Games.

Personally I find Orson Scott Card to be a repulsive individual and wouldn't spend a dime on his novels. I did however purchase, and have played through, Shadow Complex this week and it is a wonderful title. It really does redefine what people can expect from downloadable content on a console as well as what they can expect for their dollars.
Quote:The Complex Question

A wonderful new article on Gamasutra which addresses this issue as well as other related questions regarding boycotts specifically regarding Video Games.

Personally I find Orson Scott Card to be a repulsive individual and wouldn't spend a dime on his novels. I did however purchase, and have played through, Shadow Complex this week and it is a wonderful title. It really does redefine what people can expect from downloadable content on a console as well as what they can expect for their dollars.
I agree with the article. Confession time... I secretly adore Wagner.

Hi,

Quote:Personally I find Orson Scott Card to be a repulsive individual . . .
When I first read your post, I wondered why you felt like this. Then I read the link you gave and understood. It is really a shame. Card is an excellent author who has often written works that are both entertaining and thought provoking. In person he is engaging, pleasant, and very intelligent (at one sf con, he led a roomful of us in defining an alien plant, its properties, its denizens, and its potential conflicts). Over the years, however, I found myself reading less of his work as his religious beliefs (LDS) made his works too preachy. The last book of his I read felt more like an attempt to convert me than to entertain me. So, you might say that I've been boycotting him for some time. I had not realized how extreme and active he had become. To me, it is sad to see an intellect like his corrupted by religious fanaticism. The desire of some people to control the lives of others is a perversion I cannot understand, but one that I, too, find repulsive.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

It stuns me to no end that this guy's actual name is "Christian Nutt", especially given the content of the article.

-Jester
Quote:It stuns me to no end that this guy's actual name is "Christian Nutt", especially given the content of the article.
:) Yes, irony.

I was actually thinking that I'm more likely to avoid companies with "bad attitudes" than the individuals behind the scenes. In my world of computing... the huge vacuum of software sucking is Computer Associates. They appear to exist to acquire challenged assets that are popular, well supported. Then, they lay off a significant portion of the development and support staff milking the product owners for maintenance releases until they get frustrated enough to take action. Kind of like a publishers clearing house.

EA seems to be the same type of entity for the game world. I resist buying EA games. Shareware is often better written and supported.

Quote:EA seems to be the same type of entity for the game world. I resist buying EA games. Shareware is often better written and supported.
Things might a little different with EA since John Riccitiello took over, or so I hear.

-Jester