I'm gonna be re-installing Windows soon
After 3 good years of outstanding service with my current Windows XP installation, I will soon be swapping my harddrive for a larger one. This means a re-installation of Windows (about damn time wouldn't you say?).

I'm not too concerned with any programs I have installed. They are either easily downloadable or I already have the retail installation disks. Other than my photos and a few select documents, there is nothing here that is irreplacable. I'm already in the process of burning these to some CDs.

I'm more concerned about making sure that I have all of my stored passwords and other various settings that cannot be exported to a file and saved to disk. I keep thinking that I will forget something important.

I'm also a wee bit terrified about the process of Windows Update. I'm worried about the process of connecting a base installation of Windows XP without any security updates to the internet. I'd imagine it will take some time to download all of the updates, and during this time my computer will be a gigantic bullseye and wide open to nasty stuff. I plan on installing a firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio before I plug the network cable back in. Will this be enough to protect my computer during the time it will take me to install all of the security updates, or should I look for a way to install them before I connect to the internet (is this even possible?)?

edit for late-breaking super bonus happy news: My wife just informed me via cellphone that she won $2,700 playing a slot machine (it was girl's night out). Drinks are on me tonight!
DeeBye,Nov 10 2005, 07:24 PM Wrote:I'm also a wee bit terrified about the process of Windows Update.  I'm worried about the process of connecting a base installation of Windows XP without any security updates to the internet.  I'd imagine it will take some time to download all of the updates, and during this time my computer will be a gigantic bullseye and wide open to nasty stuff. 
[right][snapback]94542[/snapback][/right]

Find the standalone update to SP2 on Microsoft's site and look up on Google how to create a 'slipstream' of that into an install CD so the install already has most of the security updates.

using search terms like 'slipstream windows xp service pack 2' will probably get you a pretty detailed walkthrough on the first couple pages.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Nov 10 2005, 11:32 PM Wrote:Find the standalone update to SP2 on Microsoft's site and look up on Google how to create a 'slipstream' of that into an install CD so the install already has most of the security updates.

using search terms like 'slipstream windows xp service pack 2' will probably get you a pretty detailed walkthrough on the first couple pages.
[right][snapback]94543[/snapback][/right]

Thanks. I'm gonna do this.

I'm downloading SP2 as I type this, but I really hate how they limit the speed to 70KB/s :( This kinda thing just cries out for a torrent.

edit: Wow this worked great. I now have a XP installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Thank you very much!
Congrats to your wife for the win.

Anyhow, why not just image the old drive onto the new one? Most retail drives come with the utilities to do so (at least, I know Maxtor does). If the drive you got doesn't, I'm sure there's a site with a download for it (who knows, you might be able to find the prog on the Maxtor site).
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Nov 11 2005, 01:15 AM Wrote:Congrats to your wife for the win.
[right][snapback]94550[/snapback][/right]

I like Robert Borden and I hope that he and all his clones visit my home again in the near future.

[Image: bling5ne.jpg]

I wanted to blow the entire stack on Legos and beer, but my wife is the sensible one and allotted us $70 for computer upgrades and the rest goes in the bank. One of us is smart.

Wyrm,Nov 11 2005, 01:15 AM Wrote:Anyhow, why not just image the old drive onto the new one?  Most retail drives come with the utilities to do so (at least, I know Maxtor does).  If the drive you got doesn't, I'm sure there's a site with a download for it (who knows, you might be able to find the prog on the Maxtor site).
[right][snapback]94550[/snapback][/right]

I've looked into this, but it's not possible in my situation. I promised my brother-in-law that he could have this old drive. I have to wipe it and hand it over before I will get the new larger drive.

Even if the timing hurdle didn't exist, I'd still want to reinstall Windows. It's been 3 years. It's about time.
DeeBye,Nov 10 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:[Image: bling5ne.jpg]
[right][snapback]94552[/snapback][/right]

Is that real? Looks like funny money.

-A
Ashock,Nov 11 2005, 11:08 AM Wrote:Is that real? Looks like funny money.
-A
[right][snapback]94566[/snapback][/right]

If it can buy Canadian beer, it passes the "it must be money" test. :D Italian money looks even funnier, and our own moves toward a psychedelic currency is worth a chortle or two.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 11 2005, 10:26 AM Wrote:If it can buy Canadian beer, it passes the "it must be money" test.  :D  [right][snapback]94569[/snapback][/right]

Maybe it buys funny bear? ;)

-A
DeeBye,Nov 10 2005, 08:01 PM Wrote:Thanks.  I'm gonna do this.

I'm downloading SP2 as I type this, but I really hate how they limit the speed to 70KB/s :(  This kinda thing just cries out for a torrent.

edit: Wow this worked great.  I now have a XP installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed.  Thank you very much!
[right][snapback]94546[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, Slipstreaming is about the best thing Microsoft has done since Win2k. I'm not the biggest MS fan, but I <3 slipstreaming. It has saved much time and pain.

I still use Win2k, and installing all the updates for that takes hours and several re-boots. Slipstreaming saves TONS of time on a fresh install.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I love Canadian money.

Not having to actually take out a bill from your wallet and examine it to see how much it's worth is a good thing. Doing that with American bills is like picking out the right-sized jeans from a, well, stack of jeans.
DeeBye,Nov 10 2005, 08:24 PM Wrote:After 3 good years of outstanding service with my current Windows XP installation, I will soon be swapping my harddrive for a larger one.&nbsp; This means a re-installation of Windows (about damn time wouldn't you say?).

I'm not too concerned with any programs I have installed.&nbsp; They are either easily downloadable or I already have the retail installation disks.&nbsp; Other than my photos and a few select documents, there is nothing here that is irreplacable.&nbsp; I'm already in the process of burning these to some CDs.

I'm more concerned about making sure that I have all of my stored passwords and other various settings that cannot be exported to a file and saved to disk.&nbsp; I keep thinking that I will forget something important.

I'm also a wee bit terrified about the process of Windows Update.&nbsp; I'm worried about the process of connecting a base installation of Windows XP without any security updates to the internet.&nbsp; I'd imagine it will take some time to download all of the updates, and during this time my computer will be a gigantic bullseye and wide open to nasty stuff.&nbsp; I plan on installing a firewall like ZoneAlarm or Kerio before I plug the network cable back in.&nbsp; Will this be enough to protect my computer during the time it will take me to install all of the security updates, or should I look for a way to install them before I connect to the internet (is this even possible?)?

edit for late-breaking super bonus happy news:&nbsp; My wife just informed me via cellphone that she won $2,700 playing a slot machine (it was girl's night out).&nbsp; Drinks are on me tonight!
[right][snapback]94542[/snapback][/right]

You can always clone your HD. There are two ways I like using a program called Acronis (free trial version http://www.acronis.com/ ):

1.) Complete image back-up of your hard drive, then boot with an Acronis CD and copy the back-up to your new drive.

2.) Physically install the new HD into your computer with the old HD also installed and Clone your old hard drive to the new hard drive using Acronis. After you do this, you must remove the new/old HD before the reboot or else one of the drives with windows will be unbootable.

I prefer a clean install myself to clear all the crap out of the drive that eventually accumulates. If you do a clean install, be sure to:

SAVE-YOUR-"PERSONAL-SETTINGS"
1. Obviously save your media (i.e. picture, songs, video, documents, etc.)
2. Save your FAVORITES
.........."C:\Documents and Settings\'Your Name'\Favorites"
3. Save your FONTS
.........."C:\Windows\FONTS
4. Save your "important" PROGRAM UPDATES + DRIVER UPDATES (i.e. stand-alone update files; these can sometimes be downloaded and saved somewhere). I believe you can also save the Microsoft Windows Updates onto a CD and install them manually since you mentioned hesitation about installing these online.
5. Save or write down your custom Explorer Bar Settings
.........."C:\??? - NOT SURE... "
6. Some people think it's important to save your CERTIFICATES and COOKIES, but because I don't really care about these, I have no idea where to find them. If you have custom TEMPLATES, be sure to save these also in your documents folder somewhere.

FORMAT-AND-INSTALL
1. Format your new Hard-drive with the windows CD. Make sure it's NTFS.
2. Install windows. If you've installed this version of windows before, you might have to call Microsoft's hotline to activate your windows with an eight-lettered code, which they (Microsoft phone personal) will give you over the phone. RESTART!
3. Update Windows (online) . RESTART... several times!
4. Update your BIOS. RESTART!
5. Install your Video Card Driver. RESTART!
6. Update your Video Card Driver. RESTART!
7. Install your Sound Card Driver. RESTART!
8. Update your Sound Card Driver. RESTART!
9. To avoid problems with your programs:
......... A) Install your programs ONE-AT-A-TIME and restart after every install.
......... B) Update your programs and restart after every update.
10. Configure your personal settings.

I'm sure there's steps I'm forgetting that I take everytime I have to reinstal Windows, but I can't think of them at the moment. Whatever you decide to do, good-luck! It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a real headache!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Nov 11 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:I'm sure there's steps I'm forgetting that I take everytime I have to reinstal Windows, but I can't think of them at the moment. Whatever you decide to do, good-luck! It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a real headache!
[right][snapback]94616[/snapback][/right]

I have no doubt that this will take me the better part of an entire evening, and way too many reboots. I think I'm going to look into slipstreaming a lot more into my Windows XP disk.

edit: I hope this is as good as it claims to be.
Update because I hate threads that don't have closure.

It turns out I was worried about nothing. I was prepared for the worst though. I had everything backed up to CD-Rs (about 10 of them) just in case I couldn't get internet connectivity restored immediately. I had drivers for everything on disk just in case.

The drive went in fine. Although my case is large and pretty easy to work in, the cables were bundled fairly close to the harddrive slots which made replacing the drive a tricky procedure. I had to move them out of the way until I had the new drive in place and then move them back.

The Windows install was boring, which was good. The slipstreamed XP disk with SP2 worked fine. I plugged my network cable in long enough to authorise the CD-key (and prayed that Windows was able to supply some sort of driver to my network card, which it thankfully did), then pulled it out until I installed Kerio. I suppose I was being a bit too paranoid, but better safe than sorry I guess.

The first thing I did was hit Windows Update. 31 critical updates. I am glad I am not on dialup. After rebooting I hit Windows Update for hardware updates. It supplied me with the correct updated sound, video, and network card updates.

The total time invested up to this point was about two and a half hours, most of which was watching hockey and waiting (the Leafs beat the Rangers 2-1 :) ).

After I was sure that Windows was updated properly and that all my parts worked, I went ahead and started installing things like Firefox, Thunderbird, WinZip, Adobe Reader, etc. Then I got tired and went to bed.

The end result is that everything went about as well as it possibly could. Everything worked the first time. I still have a few things to do, like install the software for my digital camera, but I don't foresee any problems.

The only thing I forgot was to back up my email address book, but I can always plug the old drive back in and export them. I might not bother though because 90% of the addresses there are out of date and unusable.

My new drive (Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache) makes a sound. I'll have to get used to this. My old Maxtor 30GB 5400RPM was absolutely silent, and the WD has a very faint noise that is almost mosquito-like.
Sinner!

DeeBye,Nov 17 2005, 01:43 AM Wrote:The first thing I did was hit Windows Update.&nbsp; 31 critical updates.&nbsp; I am glad I am not on dialup.&nbsp; After rebooting I hit Windows Update for hardware updates.&nbsp; It supplied me with the correct updated sound, video, and network card updates.

That has got to be the #1 mistake I see on new computers. NEVER, EVER, under ANY circumstances, trust Windows to update your hardware. ALWAYS go directly to the manufacturer's site, download the drivers directly, and install them yourself. You will SORELY regret it if you don't.

Hardware "drivers" from Windows Update are notorious for not only being out-of-date, but riddled with problems. Most manufacturer's will even tell you not to use Windows Update to update Hardware. Believe it or not, sometimes it will try to update your existing driver with an OLDER version! And yet it says it's new!

Please, PLEASE people - don't use Windows Update for ANYTHING other than critical updates. It's just not smart computing.

Oh, and BTW DeeBye - yes, you were being way overly paranoid. Unless a virus was embedded on the actual Windows XP install disk, there is virtually no way for you to have contracted a virus, trojan, etc. without explicitly looking for one. And Windows XP has a built-in firewall that is on by default.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 19 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:That has got to be the #1 mistake I see on new computers. NEVER, EVER, under ANY circumstances, trust Windows to update your hardware. ALWAYS go directly to the manufacturer's site, download the drivers directly, and install them yourself. You will SORELY regret it if you don't.
[right][snapback]95317[/snapback][/right]

Methinks you are being a tad melodramatic. :)

I went to Windows Update for hardware updates because it was late and I was tired. Windows Update supplied me with correct (out of date, yet functional) drivers for my hardware in a very short amount of time. I rebooted and checked that my video, sound, and internet worked. They all did, so I went to bed satisfied that I hadn't screwed anything up.

My wife wakes up before me, so I had to be sure that she could check her email and browse news topics the next day.

I've since updated the drivers to the most current ones from the manufacturer's websites.
Ashock,Nov 11 2005, 09:08 AM Wrote:Is that real? Looks like funny money.
-A

Yep. Those are real... First distributed last year, as I recall. All Canadian bills have had a total makeover with anti-counterfit measures. At least 4 or 5 that I can think of off hand.
[Image: 4955118coiDE.png]
DeeBye,Nov 20 2005, 01:27 AM Wrote:Methinks you are being a tad melodramatic. :)

No, I'm really not. That's the sad part. I've seen Windows Update destroy fresh installations of Windows due to that horrid Hardware Update service. I would not recommend ANY use of Windows to EVER use drivers supplied by Microsoft, unless the hardware product IS a Microsoft product (i.e. a mouse, keyboard, etc.). It's just not smart computing. It will leave you stranded, sooner or later, if you continue to do it.

I'm glad to here you've updated the drivers from the manufacturer's site. Be sure to do only that from now on, and ignore Windows Update's requests to update your existing drivers.

It just doesn't pay to trust Microsoft. Believe me.

Then again, I've seen Symantec Norton Systemworks turn a brand new computer into a giant paper-weight, so I don't much trust any software. ;) But MS especially.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Heh, yeah, I've had Windows offer a driver update for a piece of hardware I didn't even have installed on the machine. The worst is video card drivers. The ones offered on Windows update are at least a year behind NVidia's.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Nov 21 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:Heh, yeah, I've had Windows offer a driver update for a piece of hardware I didn't even have installed on the machine.&nbsp; The worst is video card drivers.&nbsp; The ones offered on Windows update are at least a year behind NVidia's.
[right][snapback]95447[/snapback][/right]

Hahahaha... Oh my god I wish I knew this a year earlier! No wonder. It all makes sense now! :lol: Oh well - water under the bridge. Don't even ask... Let's just say I had a lot of trouble with my video card and reinstalled my drivers from CD then updated from the nvidia website numerous times but kept having to "update" my drivers after a windows update, but I never put two-and-two togeather?!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
One thing I will say:

Windows Update got my external CD-RW HP Series 8200 drive working when even HP's own drivers failed.

Yeah, beats me too.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386