Defense and ar help in PvP
hello everyone,

I've been a reader of this site for quite a bit now and hope to have a few questions answered. Keep in mind these questions are all regarding my WW Barbarian.

#1 When does defense start to give diminishing returns?
for example,
If with 25k defense, your chance of getting hit is 35%
and if with 30k defense your chance of getting hit is 37%
then the extra 5k defense is pointless i.e. "It's giving you diminishing returns."

#2 How much is Ar is need to hit 30-40k defense chars?
(I'm looking to have a 45% chance to hit, or the highest possible)

#3 Can someone please point me to good some calculator(s), that way i won't have to ask these questions agian.
FCOMAN,Oct 28 2005, 08:40 PM Wrote:#1 When does defense start to give diminishing returns?

#2 How much is Ar is need to hit 30-40k defense chars?

#3 Can someone please point me to good some calculator(s), that way i won't [right][snapback]93493[/snapback][/right]

#1 Any after 1 (no, not 1k, just plain old _1_) give you less return than the previous

#2 What level are you (roughtly)? Are they? How OFTEN do you want to hit them (auto-hit is 5% that's 1 hit for every 20 swings)

beginedit: (missed that you said you wanted 45% chance)
Assuming your the same or similar level then the attacker/defender levels would amount to 1/2 (50%) multiplied by the constant of 2 that makes it 100%, You said you wanted 45% chance to hit so assuming that they have 35,000 defense you would need roughly 29,000 AR to hit them 45% of the time.
endedit

#3 I think there are some on the main page, Haven't played DII in, like, months.
Chance to hit = 2 * (attacker level) / (attacker level + defender level) * (attacker AR) / (attacker AR + defender defense), capped at a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 95%.
FCOMAN,Oct 28 2005, 06:40 PM Wrote:#1 When does defense start to give diminishing returns?
  for example,
      If with 25k defense, your chance of getting hit is 35%
      and if with 30k defense your chance of getting hit is 37%
      then the extra 5k defense is pointless i.e. "It's giving you diminishing returns."
[right][snapback]93493[/snapback][/right]

That's not diminishing returns... that's negative return.
There is no case where you will add defense and your chance of getting hit increases... adding defense will always make you more difficult to hit (until you reach the cap)

unfortunately there is no way to figure where you are optimized without knowing your opponent's AR. The function has very good returns until you get over the opponent's AR, then things start going downhill.

Also be careful not to underestimate the chance to hit when it's already very low, as the actual amount of damage taken may be significantly different. For example, compare the case you give.

If you have 25k defense and your chance of getting hit is 35%, and your opponent is the same level as you are, then his AR is 13461. So for 30k defense, he has a 30.9% chance to hit you.

So compare 35% to 30.9% and it looks quite small, only 4% different, but in actuality you will take 11.7% less damage on average (4.1 / 35) some would consider 11% less damage taken pretty significant, others may not. But at least this way you can make the determination based on the correct number, rather than what many do and just look at 4%, which more people would consider to be insignificant.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.