Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer
There is my guide now. Thanks to ShadowHM for making me to publish this guide here...

So here it is:
Pacifist, curse-only necromancer guide

This is my first guide i have ever made, so if there is any mistakes or guestions about this guide, i would gladly answer and correct them...

Why did i make a Pacifist, curse only necromancer guide?
I wanted to try something different...
Playing hardcore in single player without killing a single monster is a guite challenge.

Plz, be free to talk about this subject, no matter if you like my guide or not :D

NOTE: My guide is not yet finished completely... (for example the section: i have not beaten baal yet... i have, but i haven't found any time to update this guide :blush: )
( I will update it )
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Hi Chaostheory

I took a first read through your guide. First of all, I like that you chose such a difficult task, and that you had the nerve to do it in HC. :)

However, that does give you a bit of a problem in writing a guide for outlining the various tactics possible, because the cost of a mistake is awfully high. In softcore, you can say "Darn, that didn't work", and try a new tactic next time, and then evaluate what is most effective under those circumstances.

The first thing I would suggest is that you do your utmost to finish the game in all difficulties before you finish the guide. Tactics that make sense in Normal can be of limited value in Nightmare and Hell. (Of course, it may be that this particular kind of Variant Scum™ is not viable in those modes. That doesn't mean it is not a fun challenge for other players to try. :D )

For some specific comments on the guide as it is:

1) Do your best to clean up the spelling and grammar errors in it. I know this sounds like a nit-pick, but they do make reading it harder.

2) Section III should have a different name; I found the title confusing. It seems to me that it should be more like "Mission and Rules for this variant".

3) In Section IV, I would recommend re-phrasing the comment on blocking to "I have yet to have any need for it."

4) In Section V, on skill point investment, on Summons: I found "You will never need them" to be a bit confusing. After all, you do allow use of Summons when found on gear items, and make it clear later that it is the only way to get past the first few quests. How about "Skill point placement in the Summoning tree is not permitted for this variant." ? I would suggest the same for Poison and Bone Spells.

On the specific curses:

5) Terror: Have you not used it because you didn't think it would be useful? Or you have not experimented with it? It seems to me that for a team with no meat shield/tank involved, that is playing solo, there could be considerable value at times.

6) Attract: Same comment as above.

7) Lower Resist: I suspect that eventually you will meet a Stone Skin Physical Immune, where elemental damage from your mercenary's bow (augmented by Lower Resist) will do more damage than physical damage (augmented by Amplify Damage). Perhaps a single point might be of value. You will only be able to test this later; it may be a point worth evaluating later in the game.

8) In Section IV, I would rename it "Tactics".

9) For Quest 2, I was a bit confused by the suggestion of hitting the skill shrine more than once. In my experience, once hit, skill shrines do not re-set.

10) In section VII, I suggest you discuss useful bow attributes for the mercenary, instead of specific bows. For one thing, it is not always possible to have an Ort rune by the time a character is 21, to make Zephyr. Additional discussion of the various item attributes that your character should seek would be useful too - not a wish list of wonderful uniques or rune words, but a list of the attributes that help the most.

Thanks for a fun read.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Oct 19 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:Hi Chaostheory

I took a first read through your guide.  First of all, I like that you chose such a difficult task, and that you had the nerve to do it in HC.  :)

However, that does give you a bit of a problem in writing a guide for outlining the various tactics possible, because the cost of a mistake is awfully high.  In softcore, you can say "Darn, that didn't work", and try a new tactic next time, and then evaluate what is most effective under those circumstances.
[right][snapback]92671[/snapback][/right]
Yes, maybe i should have put more thought about displaying my tacticks in th guide...

ShadowHM,Oct 19 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:The first thing I would suggest is that you do your utmost to finish the game in all difficulties before you finish the guide.  Tactics that make sense in Normal can be of limited value in Nightmare and Hell.  (Of course, it may be that this particular kind of Variant Scum™ is not viable in those modes.  That doesn't mean it is not a fun challenge for other players to try.  :D )

As i said, this guide is not ready. I will play nightmare difficulty and see how that ends, but as i said in the end of the guide, hell difficulty will be too hard for this chacracter (doesn't mean that i will not try it :D )

ShadowHM,Oct 19 2005, 05:59 PM Wrote:For some specific comments on the guide as it is:

1) Do your best to clean up the spelling and grammar errors in it. I know this sounds like a nit-pick, but they do make reading it harder.

2) Section III should have a different name; I found the title confusing. It seems to me that it should be more like "Mission and Rules for this variant".

3) In Section IV, I would recommend re-phrasing the comment on blocking to "I have yet to have any need for it."

4) In Section V, on skill point investment, on Summons: I found "You will never need them" to be a bit confusing. After all, you do allow use of Summons when found on gear items, and make it clear later that it is the only way to get past the first few quests. How about "Skill point placement in the Summoning tree is not permitted for this variant." ? I would suggest the same for Poison and Bone Spells.

On the specific curses:

5) Terror: Have you not used it because you didn't think it would be useful? Or you have not experimented with it? It seems to me that for a team with no meat shield/tank involved, that is playing solo, there could be considerable value at times.

6) Attract: Same comment as above.

7) Lower Resist: I suspect that eventually you will meet a Stone Skin Physical Immune, where elemental damage from your mercenary's bow (augmented by Lower Resist) will do more damage than physical damage (augmented by Amplify Damage). Perhaps a single point might be of value. You will only be able to test this later; it may be a point worth evaluating later in the game.

8) In Section IV, I would rename it "Tactics".

9) For Quest 2, I was a bit confused by the suggestion of hitting the skill shrine more than once. In my experience, once hit, skill shrines do not re-set.

10) In section VII, I suggest you discuss useful bow attributes for the mercenary, instead of specific bows. For one thing, it is not always possible to have an Ort rune by the time a character is 21, to make Zephyr. Additional discussion of the various item attributes that your character should seek would be useful too - not a wish list of wonderful uniques or rune words, but a list of the attributes that help the most.

Thanks for a fun read.

1) I am truly sorry for spelling errors in my guide... i will check them again...

2) Hmm.. maybe you are right

3) that would go for spelling errors i guess... but this maybe does sound a bit odd: I have never had any need for it

4) Correction: it says "You will never use them", but maybe i should just put "Never put points to this skill tree"
On the specific curses:

5) To make a good guide i should try all tactics you are right about that...
I had too much hurry in publishing this guide :P

6) Same answer as in 5

7) When i meet a psychical immune i will use it...
I really should have put that in the guide :blush:

8) Am i in the right section... you would rename "stat point investing" to "tacticks"?

9) As a matter of fact: i found two skill shrines in my game, but i heard that one lurker, i will not say his name but still, he played this same necro and found one skill shrine and it did re-set according to what he told... I am truly sorry because i did not go myself to confirm if this was right...

10) Yea, much corrections about this guide, but it is my first after all... :D
Thx for all things you have listed here, they help a lot when making this kind of guide...
counts."
- Winston Churchill
ShadowHM,Oct 19 2005, 06:59 PM Wrote:9)   For Quest 2, I was a bit confused by the suggestion of hitting the skill shrine more than once.   In my experience, once hit, skill shrines do not re-set.
I was quite sure they do in fact reset. I wouldn't bet anything on it, though. Time for a test...

...when I get home. <_<

EDIT: Tested, they do reset.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Chaostheory,Oct 20 2005, 01:32 AM Wrote:8) Am i in the right section... you would rename "stat point investing" to "tacticks"?

[right][snapback]92726[/snapback][/right]

My miss-type. I meant Section VI, which is currently called "Getting a Mercenary". :)

For an additonal idea, please check your Private Messages.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

According to this reply, i have updated my guide...
While there may still occur spelling problems, some mistakes have been corrected.
I hope my guide "pacth 1.1" makes this guide a little bit easier to read and more complete... :D
(talk about spelling problems <_< )
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Oct 19 2005, 03:34 AM Wrote:So here it is:

First off, I think ShadowHM has given spectacular feedback.

Secondly, I'm questioning the word usage in the title of your guide. Pacifism is derived from the word passive, but has developed a more specialized meaning, relating directly to avoidance or rejection of war itself.

Oxford English Dictionary Wrote:Pacifism: Belief in or advocacy of peaceful methods as feasible and desirable alternatives to war; (espousal or advocacy of) a group of doctrines which reject war and every form of violent action as a means of solving disputes, esp. in international affairs. Also: advocacy of a peaceful policy or rejection of war in a particular instance.

And since your guide isn't about hugging Andariel, offering mediation to Diablo, or giving flowers to Baal, the meaning is just slightly off.

Technically speaking, the word you are looking for appears to be passive, since the necromancer is not directly doing the acting. Now don't let my post discourage you, the title still works and I doubt anyone would be confused about it.

Three cheers for artistic license,

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 21 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:Secondly, I'm questioning the word usage in the title of your guide.&nbsp; Pacifism is derived from the word passive, but has developed a more specialized meaning, relating directly to avoidance or rejection of war itself.

Oxford English Dictionary Wrote:Pacifism: Belief in or advocacy of peaceful methods as feasible and desirable alternatives to war; (espousal or advocacy of) a group of doctrines which reject war and every form of violent action as a means of solving disputes, esp. in international affairs. Also: advocacy of a peaceful policy or rejection of war in a particular instance.

And since your guide isn't about hugging Andariel, offering mediation to Diablo, or giving flowers to Baal, the meaning is just slightly off.

Technically speaking, the word you are looking for appears to be passive, since the necromancer is not directly doing the acting. Now don't let my post discourage you, the title still works and I doubt anyone would be confused about it.

Three cheers for artistic license,

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]92852[/snapback][/right]
Well... how else would you rename the char if the name does not please you?
I-don't-like-to-kill-anything, curse-only nercomancer sounds a bit odd, don't u think?

If i would go for the name title "pacifist" as you descriped it...
I wouldn't get really far in the game would I?

if you have any better title for my guide please feel free to tell, but I doupt I change it anymore...
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Oct 19 2005, 02:34 AM Wrote:There is my guide now. Thanks to ShadowHM for making me to publish this guide here...

So here it is:

This is my first guide i have ever made, so if there is any mistakes or guestions about this guide, i would gladly answer and correct them...

Why did i make a Pacifist, curse only necromancer guide?
I wanted to try something different...
Playing hardcore in single player without killing a single monster is a guite challenge.

Plz, be free to talk about this subject, no matter if you like my guide or not  :D

NOTE: My guide is not yet finished completely... (for example the section: i have not beaten baal yet... i have, but i haven't found any time to update this guide :blush: )
( I will update it )
[right][snapback]92636[/snapback][/right]

If you are interested in cleaning up grammar and spelling, and structure, I can give it a once over.

How close to finished form is your guide?

Occhi

PS:
Quote:Duriel has a cold aura, so you should buy a lot of thawing potions for
your merc to unfrost her when needed.

Holy Freeze is not curable by thawing potions.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 26 2005, 03:59 AM Wrote:How close to finished form is your guide?
[right][snapback]93170[/snapback][/right]
As long as there comes questions or stuff like things i should add to my guide, my guide is not ready

Occhidiangela,Oct 26 2005, 03:59 AM Wrote:Holy Freeze is not curable by thawing potions.
Hmm... i think thawing potions work as long as "aura strikes again"
Holy freeze doen't work like poison, it works like... how do u say it...
periods, it saps saps your life every two seconds (not sure about the time) and at the same time it freezes you.. so thawing potions work two seconds i think... then you have to drink another... and another.. and another... hmm... i will fix this, do not use thawing potions against duriel...

Occhidiangela,Oct 26 2005, 03:59 AM Wrote:If you are interested in cleaning up grammar and spelling, and structure, I can give it a once over.
Thanks a lot, post the corrected form of the guide to my email (found at the end of the guide)
or here at lurkerlounge forums (personal message)

PS. I am now at nightmare difficulty at playing the necro, so my guide is certainly NOT ready yet... :blush:

counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Oct 26 2005, 07:03 AM Wrote:As long as there comes questions or stuff like things i should add to my guide, my guide is not ready
Hmm... i think thawing potions work as long as "aura strikes again"
Holy freeze doen't work like poison, it works like... how do u say it...
periods, it saps saps your life every two seconds (not sure about the time) and at the same time it freezes you.. so thawing potions work two seconds i think... then you have to drink another... and&nbsp; another.. and another... hmm... i will fix this, do not use thawing potions against duriel...
Thanks a lot, post the corrected form of the guide to my email (found at the end of the guide)
or here at lurkerlounge forums (personal message)
PS.&nbsp; I am now at nightmare difficulty at playing the necro, so my guide is certainly NOT ready yet... :blush:
[right][snapback]93198[/snapback][/right]

The "Cannot Be Frozen" affix doesn't help against Holy Freeze either, unless something changed in Patch 1.11.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Munkay,Oct 21 2005, 12:50 PM Wrote:Secondly, I'm questioning the word usage in the title of your guide.&nbsp; Pacifism is derived from the word passive, but has developed a more specialized meaning, relating directly to avoidance or rejection of war itself.
The word "pacifism" has nothing to do with the word "passive". "Pacifism" is related to the latine word "pacificus", while "passive" is related to the latin word "passivus" which have different meanings.
Stormrage: Rocdog - Night Elf Hunter - Skinning/Leatherworking
Stormrage: Bait - Human Warrior - Herbalism/Alchemy